mrsherbie
15 years ago
Sung in the voice of Michael Crawford playing The Phantom of the Opera... "Past the point of no return"....?

Irish '53 

I am truly glad that people see cars like this as worthy of being saved ( possibly?) But also equally glad that it is not mine! :shock:
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
reminou75
15 years ago
outch!!! :shock:
Ovalbug
15 years ago
It makes my '53 look concours :lol: .
'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
'72 1302LS Karmann Cabrio RHD
15 years ago
It will be saved...

He has been in a Barn in Southern Ireland since 1971... He was parked up after he was "borrowed" by a local lad that the owners didnt like... and so when he came back, they didnt want to drive him again! The car sat in this barn for 36 years! Stuff was piled up round him.. he was eventually dug out and has now made the Journey to Bedfordshire.

He is an original RHD 1953 CKD kit with the Irish Shamrock glass.

This is the first time it has seen rain in nearly 40 years... even though it looks like it has lived in a swamp...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
www.vwoval.co.uk
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
Wow! Does "barn" mean "lake" in Gaelic?

Keep us posted - it would be a spectacular save, if you pull it off.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
15 years ago
It wil be saved... it realistically only needs the same stuff as you would do on any rotten bug... and a gentle sand blast... 😎

It doesnt matter how rotten the bolt on panels are... they can be replaced... and with that in mind... It needs a bonnet and engine lid and maybe doors (they are repairable if needed) ... anyone got any they wish to sell at a good price to make the project happen?
www.vwoval.co.uk
11 years ago
Took Henry for a Run down to Knebworth today..

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

please ignore the wheels.

www.vwoval.co.uk
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago
Nice :thumbup: as for the wheels :shock: for me a set of standard solids with X-plys and the domed hub caps would look nice. Its intresting to see alot of people puting there cars back on to standard rims and dumping the alloys. Hope she ran well for you. How about some rebuild photos etc i would love to see them as well as a shot of the shamroc logo on the glass (i have never seen it)

Andy W
11 years ago
Hello

I run stock steels on many of my cars.. I'm not much of an alloys person normally... but they were in my van and needed a home... for now..

There are loads (hundreds) of photos so I wont stick it all here.. just follow this link to see it all going on... go get a cup of tea .. it goes on a bit..

https://www.partsemporium.co.uk/HERTS%20VW%20CLUB%20FORUM/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=56&sid=ce96d39ff89ea5dd18ed3a914a1ff993 

Here is the shamrock on the glass

UserPostedImage
www.vwoval.co.uk
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago
Thanks for that Julian cup of coffie in hand and off to the link Cheers.

Andy W
11 years ago

Thanks for that Julian cup of coffie in hand and off to the link Cheers.

Andy W

AW wrote:

Hope you made it through all the pages!

I took Henry for a drive today... somehow avoiding all the rain!

He seems to turn heads.. cant think why?

:d
www.vwoval.co.uk
11 years ago
Thank you!

www.vwoval.co.uk
11 years ago
I took him to Lavenham yesterday. We wern't alowed in the display. (I'm not complaining - I love the stock cars feel of the event) but we chatted to lots of interested parties - some positive, some not so positive.

I find it funny that everyone we spoke to at the begining said it was scrap, past the point of no return, cut it up etc... and now its on the road and saved, they feel they can judge the fact that its got alloys and lowered... strange world.

One day he will go back to stock. But for now he is saved! :thumbup:

I'm presently building a 1953 and 1962 both completely stock so I'm not all bad 😛
www.vwoval.co.uk