pre67vw
  • pre67vw
  • Administration Topic Starter
15 years ago
Just a quick note to tell you that I'm planning on moving the forum over to some new software in the not too distant future. I'm not too sure of the full implications of this just yet, but currently the plan is to move all members and previous posts over so nothing is lost.

The new forum comes with a bunch of cool features, should be great!!

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Chris
15 years ago

The new forum comes with a bunch of cool features, should be great!!

"pre67vw" wrote:

GREAT !!! Some new toys to play with...... :wink:
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day.
'50 Karmann
15 years ago

GREAT !!! Some new toys to play with...... :wink:

"Chris" wrote:

Yeah!maybe you'll get rid of that crap avatar at last.
Chris
15 years ago

Yeah!maybe you'll get rid of that crap avatar at last.

"'50 Karmann" wrote:

You're right... I was thinking of putting the cover to a Bruce Springsteen album there instead .... 😳

Can't change it I'm afraid.. tried to many a time but something wrong in server-land. Maybe when we get our new system eh ? :wink:
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day.
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
15 years ago
Well, as you've probably noticed by now - it's now moved over. It went about as badly as it could have done - but it was Friday the 13th so what did I expect? :twisted:

If anyone has any problems etc, let me know!!!
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
lifeintheslowlane
15 years ago
Congrats Rob...was quite a shock when I logged on to the Forum this morning but I can see there are a few new buttons and gizmos to click.

Now that you are settled back into your rocking chair is there a chance you could list a few of the new features, not for me of course but for the less observant.:d
John.
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
15 years ago

Congrats Rob...was quite a shock when I logged on to the Forum this morning but I can see there are a few new buttons and gizmos to click.

Now that you are settled back into your rocking chair is there a chance you could list a few of the new features, not for me of course but for the less observant.:d

lifeintheslowlane wrote:

It's now more like a regular forum rather than my old home-made one...

There's a lot more 'behind the scenes' stuff that I never had before, so now it's much easier for me to delete/move stuff arround - which is nice (for me :lol:)

You can now 'subscribe' to threads and receive emails when someone replies

There's an active discussions section so that you can quickly see what the new posts are, with an extended version called active topics from the top menu bar - you can see new stuff by day/week/month etc.

You can now send 'private messages' to members, so members now have an inbox where they can view their messages.

I think thats probably about it..?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
lifeintheslowlane
15 years ago
Can't see how to subscribe to a thread Rob. Does it automatically subscribe you if you post in a thread like "The Samba" or do you need to take some action.

In my "Profile" I clicked on the "Subscribe" link but there were none listed, just the "Unsubscribe" button.

Also noticed I'm described as an "Advanced Member." Is this a reference to my age or a euphemism for a sticky-out-bit of my anatomy?
John.
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
15 years ago

Can't see how to subscribe to a thread Rob. Does it automatically subscribe you if you post in a thread like "The Samba" or do you need to take some action.

In my "Profile" I clicked on the "Subscribe" link but there were none listed, just the "Unsubscribe" button.

Also noticed I'm described as an "Advanced Member." Is this a reference to my age or a euphemism for a sticky-out-bit of my anatomy?

lifeintheslowlane wrote:

When you post a new topic, you can choose to be notified about replies by ticking the checkbox. If the topic already exists, then you need to scroll to the top right, click Options->Watch this topic
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
lifeintheslowlane
15 years ago
:oops: Thanks Rob...I'm sure a lot of less observant members will appreciate that.
John.
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
15 years ago

:oops: Thanks Rob...I'm sure a lot of less observant members will appreciate that.

lifeintheslowlane wrote:

Yep, I had to look it up in the instructions... :wink:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Chris
15 years ago

lifeintheslowlane wrote:

Must be your age John as I'm just a 'member' and I've got more posts than you... :lol:
Chris
15 years ago
Looks like I typed that too soon. :roll:

BTW Rob, I like it :wink:
mrsherbie
15 years ago
Woooo!
Its like its been in the washing machine :d
Excellent. Seems to be flawless so far, and works much better for me on my Mac. I really like the way it looks.
OOh! there's preview post and everything! :beer: :beer: You are so much nicer as a forum administrator than that Nefarious N*z* too :lol:
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
tman
  • tman
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago
Liking the new software.

I've found a feature I wasn't expecting... ;)
When using the "Create Link" button partway through a post, the UBB code for the link is inserted at the start of the post and not at the cursor.
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
15 years ago

Liking the new software.

I've found a feature I wasn't expecting... ;)
When using the "Create Link" button partway through a post, the UBB code for the link is inserted at the start of the post and not at the cursor.

tman wrote:

OK, I think this is fixed..
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
15 years ago
Another feature is that you can choose from a selection of languages to view the forum in, you can choose this in your profile. Obviously it doesn't change any of the posts written in english - or any of the graphics, but it may be of use to some people!!
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW