louis
  • louis
  • Regular Topic Starter
15 years ago
i have a 1957 oval with the number on the body 477xxx and the engine is 276xxxx.

how to know if its original?

also there is a serial on the front plate (476xxx) and another below (477xxx) on the actual body of the car.... wich one is the right one?

thanks!

the love of my life:
1954 oval 3 fold
okrasa tsv 1300
83mm p/c
69.5mm crank
isky cam
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Denz
15 years ago
an engine number starting 276xxxx puts it in December 1958. Both chassis numbers 1-476xxx and 1-477xxx are from February 1957 so would be correct but the fact that the number on the body and the number on the chassis don't tie up is a little suspect.
dp
  • dp
  • Regular
15 years ago
Hi,

Body numbers do not tie in with chassis numbers.

Chassis number 1476XXX is from March 57(476XXX is from Apr / May 53) - this should be on your VIN plate (above the body number as you mention) and also on your chassis on the centre tunnel under the rear seat - this is the 'serial number'. Body number 477XXX, as stamped into the body itself, is from February 57. Engine number 276XXXX is from January 59 so would not be the original one from you car

This page gives you everything you need:
Type 1 VINs 
louis
  • louis
  • Regular Topic Starter
15 years ago
thanks a lot...
too bad my motors doesnt match the car.

cheers!

LOuis
the love of my life:
1954 oval 3 fold
okrasa tsv 1300
83mm p/c
69.5mm crank
isky cam
Denz
15 years ago

Hi,

Body numbers do not tie in with chassis numbers.

Chassis number 1476XXX is from March 57(476XXX is from Apr / May 53) - this should be on your VIN plate (above the body number as you mention) and also on your chassis on the centre tunnel under the rear seat - this is the 'serial number'. Body number 477XXX, as stamped into the body itself, is from February 57. Engine number 276XXXX is from January 59 so would not be the original one from you car

This page gives you everything you need:
Type 1 VINs 

dp wrote:

Ooops! My mistake. Just read that numbers are the last produced in the month, not the first. :oops: