ccabal
15 years ago
Hello,
I just found this forum. I have a 64 beetle, I have had it for many years now, handed down from my dad. I want get get it running again, but it needs some work.
Last time I got it started was about 6 years ago.
Here were the issues I knew were wrong:
- battery was not charging.
- brakes were not working (probably just needed to be bled)
- very difficult to start.
But I remember everything else seemed to be OK once it got started.

I am wanting to get it going again, and am thinking I want to tackle the electrical system first.

First, a few questions -
- is it real hard to find 6v batteries now? I did a google search and didnt find many options.
- is it worth trying to convert the car to 12V? I hate corrupting the original model, but if it makes my life alot
easier I may try it, especially if I cant find a 6V battery.
- When the car was running, I took off the battery cables when the car was running and the car shut down. I would guess its
either the generator or regulator not working. Any tips on diagnosing this?

Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rich Oakley
15 years ago

First, a few questions -
- is it real hard to find 6v batteries now? I did a google search and didnt find many options.
Try your local Auto Factors- they should be able to order one for you. Several manufacturers are still making them and they shouldn't cost more than $100.
- is it worth trying to convert the car to 12V? I hate corrupting the original model, but if it makes my life alot
easier I may try it, especially if I cant find a 6V battery.
Keep it 6v and clean up ALL of the electrical connections especially those on the starter motor, battery earth strap, gearbox earthing strap and ignition switch. 6v electrics are as sweet as anything if looked after!
- When the car was running, I took off the battery cables when the car was running and the car shut down. I would guess its
either the generator or regulator not working. Any tips on diagnosing this?
Easy solution: don't disconnect the battery! The ignition coil needs wonderous electricity provided to its low voltage circuit to enable the high voltage circuit to build up charge and produce a spark. Without a battery connected, it aint gonna do that! The red speedometer lamp would illuminate if there was a fault with either the generator or regulator when the engine is running.

ccabal wrote:

47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
ccabal
15 years ago
Thanks Rich,
so I mistakenly thought that I was testing the changing system, but rather, I was not! So maybe it was working after all!

stickman
15 years ago
I bought an optima battery. It looks very modern and not original but is 6Volt.

It's fantastic and turns over and over until the car fires up. Not cheap but in my opinion well worth the expense. Keep it 6volt though!:lol:

https://www.tayna.co.uk/Optima-Red-Top-RT-S-2.1-P429.html