Judson53
15 years ago
Ive got a standard 53 RHD oval,im having problems with manifolds and acelerator cables,the problem is the cable wont reach!

Ive had the engine out last couple of days for a bit of a clean up,im told its a 30hp,i removed the inlet manifold,to replace gaskets and clean the case.I decided to refit the engine with a differnt manifold that came from another 30 hp motor i have for spares

When i final finished fitting it all back up again i found that the acelerator cable would not reach the carb!This manifold fits the engine better than the old one,the heater risers fitted a lot beter to the exhaust,so i would like to keep this manifold fitted but whats wrong with the acelerator cable

any idears much apreciated

cheers
Andy
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
mrmagyar
15 years ago
Hi Andy,
Have you trapped or nipped the accelerator cable while putting the engine back in? Or maybe it's got badly kinked somehow and ended up shorter? Get someone to press the accelerator pedal while you pull on the end of the cable to see if it moves back and forth freely. Like all problems it would be ideal to be there with the car to see what's up!
Cheers,
another Andy.
1949 Belgian Standard
1955 UK RHD De Luxe
Rich Oakley
15 years ago
Almost certainly a trapped/badly kinked cable as Andy says. Don't try and solve the problem with the old cable, get a new one.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Judson53
15 years ago
Well fitted a new cable still to short :evil: So iv fitted one from a 58 onwards bug witch has solved the problem

Any body got any ideas whats hapened
Rich Oakley
15 years ago

Well fitted a new cable still to short :evil: So iv fitted one from a 58 onwards bug witch has solved the problem

Any body got any ideas whats hapened

Judson53 wrote:

Does your car still have the original pedal cluster and carb?
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Judson53
15 years ago
The carbs been changes to one with a electric choke,but i think the pedles are original

Its all sorted now though,well hopfuly