55Kab
2009-01-27T22:56:52Z
Rich Oakley wrote:

Martin- great pics as usual.

Whatever happened to PWP8 and its magical hubcaps?



Tks Rich. Indeed, what happened to PWP 8 I wonder???

No details listed on the DVLA website so I would think the plate has been sold off as considering its condition 20 years ago as a full on concours car, I can't see it getting into a state of disrepair.

More pics that I'll have to get a scanned!:wink:
55Kab
2009-01-27T23:00:21Z
kdf38 wrote:

I'm frightened! You recognize a car from 1987 by its reg. nr? :shock:



Hahahahahahha :lol: :lol: :lol:

Of course Mike, old Bugs are so rare here it's not difficult.

Actually, to tell the truth I was looking through all my pics of the Stonor show in 87 and came across PWP 8 before I found the shots of Rattletrap, so I'm sure the car in the background is PWP as that's the concours line up.
stu
2009-01-31T16:36:27Z
who actually owns rattletrap now? after looking at the museum website it doesnt appear to be the museum..
mrsherbie
2009-01-31T17:25:56Z
Its for SALE! :shock: Thats a lot of 'cough' history, for ok money! :d

Although I dont think I want it myself, because I feel it may not be completely 'og unwelded' ? :shock:

Cool though! and looks like a real bargain compared to the ads for the 70 & 71 beside it :!: :lol:


(Edited as no longer on UltraVW classifieds site now it is sold!)
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
mrmagyar
2009-01-31T17:26:53Z
Hi,
If you follow this link and click on the picture of the Delorean you can see what is presumably old Rattletrap in the background.

http://www.bentley.org.u...museumgallery/4525136549 
1949 Belgian Standard
1955 UK RHD De Luxe
54 Gertie
2009-01-31T17:29:56Z
Quote:

Highest mileage Beetle in the world. One owner, very original condition inside/out, dropped indicators, narrowed/lowered beams. Stored for 11 years in Bentley Motor Museum.




narrowed/lowered beams:shock:
:wink: Very original (shame about the shell, chassis, engine.......

:lol:

Still, it is a cheap split, let alone a cheap famous split!:wink:


William
54 Gertie
2009-01-31T17:35:29Z
Here it is in the museum! Sorry about the bad picture!

UserPostedImage
William
stu
2009-01-31T21:24:38Z
ive just rang the cars current owner, someone on here has first refusual, wonder who it is.., if they dont buy it, i might..
54 Gertie
2009-01-31T21:40:57Z
stu wrote:

ive just rang the cars current owner, someone on here has first refusual, wonder who it is.., if they dont buy it, i might..



Fair Play!

It is personally not my piece of cake but the history behind it (the original:?: ) is very appealing!:d
William
stu
2009-01-31T21:46:44Z
the mystery person has till monday to buy it, or im off to bentleys on monday to have a look, pain in the arse as im sposed to be veiwing an unwelded oval 2moz.. :lol:
54 Gertie
2009-01-31T21:50:46Z
Wonder who the mystery person is?:wink:







If you can read this is it ............YOU?:lol:


If when you go can you take some photos of it, would love to see some more pics of it!
William
stu
2009-01-31T21:55:08Z
54 Gertie wrote:

Wonder who the mystery person is?:wink:







If you can read this is it ............YOU?:lol:


If when you go can you take some photos of it, would love to see some more pics of it!



lol, its not me, but ill take some pics & check it out if its not sold monday, :d
54 Gertie
2009-01-31T21:56:52Z
stu wrote:



lol, its not me, but ill take some pics & check it out if its not sold monday, :d



Awesome! :d
William
stu
2009-01-31T22:14:16Z
im assuming rattletrap had an entire new bodyshell?, as opposed to the original being repaired?, who knows for definate?
54 Gertie
2009-01-31T22:17:25Z
I would guess a new shell and chassis!:cry:

I heard somewhere that the owner used to joke that the only original part was the gear knob! :wink:

I cant see how you would go about repairing that shell?:?
William
stu
2009-01-31T22:29:45Z
54 Gertie wrote:

I would guess a new shell and chassis!:cry:

I heard somewhere that the owner used to joke that the only original part was the gear knob! :wink:

I cant see how you would go about repairing that shell?:?



i think the shell was to damaged & twisted to repair but i think they kept the original central spine of the chassis & put new floorpan halfs in, hence why its still got the same reg number
54 Gertie
2009-01-31T22:31:02Z
stu wrote:



i think the shell was to damaged & twisted to repair but i think they kept the original central spine of the chassis & put new floorpan halfs in, hence why its still got the same reg number



True but they may have been a bit economical with the truth when speaking to the DVLA! :wink:
William
JD
  •  JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
2009-01-31T22:57:51Z
Robin Allen wrote:

I just want to agree with those who say the current Rattletrap is a fake. If there's nothing left of the original car (not even the nut that used to hold the steering wheel!) it's time it was re-registered. The original 1950 car died years ago.



Why on earth should it be re-registered? What does it matter to the DVLA that its not the car it once was? It´s not stolen the identity of another car thats on the road anywhere. There´s only one car with those numbers on it.

The whole idea of having to SVA buggies is frankly laughable also. Its been perfectly alright since the sixties and now its suddenly not. Tell me a good reason why?? Nanny state. Burocracy gone mad.:evil:

Why is this thread in PRE 53 anyway?:lol:
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
54 Gertie
2009-01-31T23:59:07Z
JD wrote:



Why on earth should it be re-registered? What does it matter to the DVLA that its not the car it once was? It´s not stolen the identity of another car thats on the road anywhere. There´s only one car with those numbers on it.

The whole idea of having to SVA buggies is frankly laughable also. Its been perfectly alright since the sixties and now its suddenly not. Tell me a good reason why?? Nanny state. Burocracy gone mad.:evil:

Why is this thread in PRE 53 anyway?:lol:



Agreed! Just because of one small accident (involving a rather large crash!:wink: ) that is no reason for a piece of VW history to die!:d :wink:
William
Sunroof53
2009-02-01T15:19:48Z
I remember reading about this car in vw motering ,and at the time got fed up of hearing about it.It is strange that this should crop up again as i was looking for an old magazine a few weeks ago and found a few features on it. I thought at the time i wonder where it is and didnt realise that Tony had passed away .
The shell of that car was definitly replaced by Haselock after it was T boned by a truck although i do remember vw motering glossing over it.
Personally i dont think it matters that it had a new shell ,if the backbone had been replaced my view would be different .This to me signifies what a Beetle is all about and that if you want to they can live forever.
The question you have to ask is how much of your cars bodywork is truly original.Especially if it was a well used UK car .

Long live Rattletrap:d
UserPostedImage

Similar Topics
Users browsing this topic