vw.58-beetle
15 years ago
HORN CABLE MISSING

Hello could anybody help at all i have a 58 bug but my horn dont work its not the horn itself but the cable is missing that comes up the center tube i think... There is somthing on the side of the steering colum with a cable attached to it. i have attached a wire to it and the other to a earth the horn goes, but im realy not sure how the cable gets to the horn press. could anybody help please ...... pics below if this helps at all

Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
vw.58-beetle
15 years ago
UserPostedImage
vw.58-beetle
vw.58-beetle
15 years ago
vw.58-beetle
vw.58-beetle
15 years ago
Anybody got any ideas please

Thanks
:d :d :d :d :d :d :d
six-o-one
15 years ago
As you say, there should be a wire from the horn button which connects to a copper sleeve which sits around the shaft. The bit sticking out the side contains a carbon brush which connects a wire from this sleeve to the horn. On early beetles, the circuit to earth is completed through the actual steering column. There should be a wire/earth strap at the steering box end which jumps around the rubber coupling.

This might explain it better...

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wired/wired_12_00/wired_12_00.htm 

:d

six-o-one
15 years ago
I've tracked down a picture which shows the wire and sleeve on a '58 column.
As you can see, the sleeve is insulated from the actual shaft.

272448.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
vw.58-beetle
15 years ago
thanks six o one for that it will help alot

thanks
vw.58-beetle
15 years ago
OK in trying to re open this thread as you can see from above got a horn problem. However at this stage im tryng to find out about the steering tube as you can see on my pictures my car had the later steering wheel on it from a 60s beetle would this have been possible to fit on a car of this year. if it had the correct tube on it or do you think they changed the tube
please any help would be great i need to no soon if possible because if i have the wrong one fited then ill have to buy one this sunday at bug freeze in the uk

thankyou you all
vw.58-beetle
15 years ago
any got any ideas like are they a diffrent size

thanks