Chris Meintjes
15 years ago
Me again, asked 2 months ago for advice on a book to refit complete cabrio roof on my 57 RHD CAbrio, found a great CD at revolks in USA and busy on it allready, problem is reality strikes back....

I fitted al the new wood header bow (made myself from original part) and when i close the top (frame only) the front 2 x hooks/latches that retain the roof to the A pillars is +_ 12 mm too much forward, causing the roof latches to rest on top of the windscreen frame.

I measured all the wood compenents and all are within 1 mm, and later resroted to make spacers 12mm thick, to fit between the body and the roof main attachment points (just behind rear seat) to space the roof back.
The roof now close and latches well on the front pillar with very little effort , taking in account it is still only the frame (no roof liner or outer fabric).

Questions what could have gone wrong :
a. I did "bend" the body back when i refitted new bottm reinforcement channels to have a even door gap, but gap is still even (top to bottom) and doors close/open easily, so doubt if i overdid it.
b. The roof never left my garage, so there was no cutting/welding/bending or swapping of components

Question, is there any other adjustments to compensate for this error, and have anybody else stubled on this problem before ?????

Your thoughts please
tx Chris Meintjes
South Africa

Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
mrsherbie
15 years ago
Hi, sorry I have never had an early kab or fitted a hood!

I assume that you have fitted it all now? Did you have a scan of the blue vw factory manual? Like this? If it helps and you are still stuck in a day or 2 I can scan the section of my oval one about fitting the hood and email you them, but I dont have a scanner here so it would not be until Sunday. Or I can photo any of the particular measurement details now?
But maybe try posting the question on the samba oval forum also first?

UserPostedImage
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
54 Gertie
15 years ago
We have that book!

Also I have a scanner! If you want a copy just give'us a shout and im sure I can be persuaded to get my arse off the sofa!:wink:
William
55Kab
15 years ago
Hello Chris

An interesting question. I assume a 57 hood mechanism is the same as a 55 because if it is, then I think the only adjustment you can make is where it attaches to the body.

I've just had the work completed on my 55 hood mech and this is the last item to have been worked on. New heater channels and chassis strengtheners were fitted first. Replacement doors were fitted so the door gaps were "tweaked" next and then finally onto the hood mechanism.

There was some closing issues but it was due to some of the hood frame being bent where it had been forced open and closed in a semi-seized condition.

Not really helpful I'm afraid, perhaps some of the other Cab owners can advise. Love to see a photo of your car by the way!:wink:
mrsherbie
15 years ago
:d :beer: Actually I have never even looked at that section of the book before and quite frankly it is just plain bloody frightening! :shock: :shock: I am glad I have never had to replace a hood on an early car!!
55Kab
15 years ago

I have never had an early kab

mrsherbie wrote:

You'll have to get Mr W to find you one then won't you!:lol:
55Kab
15 years ago

We have that book!

54 Gertie wrote:

If that is the 53-55 workshop manual then I'm looking for one (preferably UK dealer version) if you know someone that has one they want to move on???:beer:
mrsherbie
15 years ago

You'll have to get Mr W to find you one then won't you!:lol:

55Kab wrote:

He already gave me his 79 kab, so I think maybe that would be too cheeky just yet :lol:
54 Gertie
15 years ago

If that is the 53-55 workshop manual then I'm looking for one (preferably UK dealer version) if you know someone that has one they want to move on???:beer:

55Kab wrote:

Yes it is! I am nor sure where we got ours!:roll: Also dont know anyone that sells them, for reasonable prices anyway!:wink:
William
Chris Meintjes
15 years ago
Hi 54Gertie and MsHerbie

Tx for your offers, will really apreciate scan of relevant pages. I actaully want to post photo's but mis the trick. Can i possible mail it to either, and then help me post the pics from the office mail, where my camera software reside. My emial are [email protected], if you can send me a "ping", i can forward you phot's tomorrow morning, ZA time.

54 Gertie
15 years ago

He gave me his 79 kab, so I think maybe that would be too cheeky just yet :lol:

mrsherbie wrote:

Just go down a decade each year!:wink:

49 :wink:

Just an idea, you can ease into it! :d 😎
William
54 Gertie
15 years ago

Hi 54Gertie and MsHerbie

Tx for your offers, will really apreciate scan of relevant pages. I actaully want to post photo's but mis the trick. Can i possible mail it to either, and then help me post the pics from the office mail, where my camera software reside. My emial are [email protected], if you can send me a "ping", i can forward you phot's tomorrow morning, ZA time.

Chris Meintjes wrote:

No probs!

Ill have a hunt for it! I can only be in about, wait, 40 odd places!:wink:

If its in the garage, I may need to put my jacket on!:lol:
William
55Kab
15 years ago

I actaully want to post photo's but mis the trick. Can i possible mail it to either, and then help me post the pics from the office mail, where my camera software reside. My emial are [email protected], if you can send me a "ping", i can forward you phot's tomorrow morning, ZA time.

Chris Meintjes wrote:

Send them to me Chris and I'll post them for you. Will send you a mail now.:wink:
55Kab
15 years ago

Also dont know anyone that sells them, for reasonable prices anyway!

54 Gertie wrote:

Think VW books do some kind of repro book but it's not the proper 53-55 workshop manual and anywaz, I would like to find an original.
54 Gertie
15 years ago

Think VW books do some kind of repro book but it's not the proper 53-55 workshop manual and anywaz, I would like to find an original.

55Kab wrote:

Ours is a new one, but I am led to believe that they are more or less identical to the og ones!:wink: :?
William
55Kab
15 years ago

Ill have a hunt for it! I can only be in about, wait, 40 odd places!:wink:

If its in the garage, I may need to put my jacket on!:lol:

54 Gertie wrote:

"If its in the garage".....:shock:

Surely a bit too valuable to have the garage???
mrsherbie
15 years ago
No, this one here is an old tatty og one but 52-57 but it has all year cars inside looking at the photo's(interior shots give it away) some heart tailight/split and later oval. We have some more of these books that have different years on the cover, but I have never sat and compared them page for page to see if the content does actually vary or not?
I see vw books sell a Bentley reprint of this 52-57 book for £60. I would assume the content is the same? I have never looked at the Bentley ones.

52-57 

There are 2 whole pages with pics purely on adjustments of the hood, I think thats the useful bit you are after!

I love the idea, but I just dont think he would go for it! He would just leave me instead! :lol:
mrsherbie
15 years ago

55Kab wrote:

Thats why the cover is falling off this one I have because its my one that lives in the garage and the pages are grubby. We have got clean 'indoor ones' too :lol:
54 Gertie
15 years ago

55Kab wrote:

Well it is not supposed to be, in case it get oily!:wink:

And after togging myself up it is not there after all!:(

Where can it be.........:shock:

BTW Anna, another advantage to my decade a year theory is that when you reach the "49" stage, you cant say that a Heb would be easier to find!:wink:

You know you want to!:d
William
mrsherbie
15 years ago

Ours is a new one, but I am led to believe that they are more or less identical to the og ones!:wink: :?

54 Gertie wrote:

Bit of overlapping posting going on :lol:

I think you are right, I believe they are direct reprints, so ideal for actually using. They are by far THE best vw manual in existance. Personally I have never been able to understand a SINGLE thing in a Haynes manual! :lol: all that multi-year stuff is a nightmare! :shock:

Its nice to have the right year old one too, kind of like an accessory item for the home :d . And you can still pick them up pretty easy at swapmeets.