Standard split
15 years ago

Do you want to have your 47 repainted? It think it looks really nice with that matt patina doesn't it?

The paint is old, but not the original. It is also a gloss, which even after decades still retains some shine.

These early post-war cars were never shiny. I love the semi-matt finish they had :wink:

Also, don't forget the Standard as such came along with the introduction in 1949 of the De Luxe. The Standards in common with the De Luxe had reasonably glossy paint.

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
48REME
  • 48REME
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
15 years ago

These early post-war cars were never shiny. I love the semi-matt finish they had :wink:

Also, don't forget the Standard as such came along with the introduction in 1949 of the De Luxe. The Standards in common with the De Luxe had reasonably glossy paint.

Standard split wrote:

It depends...where is your black 1947 from? If it's German then it would have a semi-matt or satin finish with painted bumpers to match. But if it was destined for the export market (which may be the case since your banana bumpers are chromed if I remember well), then it would have a more glossy finish. Look at this rather shiny early car in Holland. You can disregard the strange bumper combination and see that it's still early, with its raised number plate pressing, appropriate taillight rings and large VW hubcap logos. I know that the large logos were for 1948 onwards cars but I doubt that a 1947 in Holland would have been satin and not gloss. It's a bit of a grey area historically and I might be wrong but I'm sure I've seen this scenario in photos before.  426420.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
mrsherbie
15 years ago
I admit I thought you were nuts redoing it just to change the colour! but since seeing the green standard JD posted I can see why, its really lovely! :d
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
69project
15 years ago
very nice!!!

when i first saw standard models i didnt get the appeal/rareness,now my view has changed immensely

hope it all pans out well

Car less.....
Standard split
15 years ago
Very interesting picture, Nicolas. These early Beetle always look so interesting.

I see your point, but I don't know the detailed history of my '47. It has however been in the UK for a long time.

When I spoke to the previous owner some 12 years ago he informed me that it had come to the UK from Germany in the early 1960s. It was found abandoned in London some years later when he then acquired it. (What a find that would make today!).

The bumpers are in very good condition, so they have probably been chromed at a much later date, and may well have been originally painted.

So from this info I would expect my car to be the home market semi-matt finish.

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
Rich Oakley
15 years ago

...but I don't know the detailed history of my '47. It has however been in the UK for a long time.

Standard split wrote:

Imported into the UK from Europe in 1950. Found in a scrapyard in 1962.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Rich Oakley
15 years ago
Nicolas, your car looks fantastic. Can't wait to see it finished. It's a pity the previous owner did not select the correct colour when he restored it!
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Standard split
15 years ago

Are you sure its been here THAT long Rich:shock:

We are talking about the same car?

Presumably the scrap yard was in the London area. Would 1950 be before Colborne's 1947 VW 'JLT 420' arrived here:?:

Rich Oakley
15 years ago

Are you sure its been here THAT long Rich:shock:

We are talking about the same car?

Presumably the scrap yard was in the London area. Would 1950 be before Colborne's 1947 VW 'JLT 420' arrived here:?:

Standard split wrote:

Colbourne's arrived in the UK in May 1948. According to my records, your car has been here since 50/51. Your car was found in a scrapyard local (I think) to where Tony lives. I don't know where Tony lives, but I believe you have spoken to him.
mrsherbie
15 years ago

Would 1950 be before Colborne's 1947 VW 'JLT 420' arrived here:?:

Standard split wrote:

And we thought discussing rattletrap was opening a can of worms! :lol:

So you live in the old car cemetery while we have the old car garden, phew! thats lucky! I think I prefer the idea of living in a garden! :shock: :lol:
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Standard split
15 years ago

Your car was found in a scrapyard local (I think) to where Tony lives. I don't know where Tony lives, but I believe you have spoken to him.

I did speak to Tony at the time I got the car over 12 years ago. I suppose being in a scrap yard counts as abandoned. If the find was near where he lives then it may well have been in London like he said. I think he kept it all those years unused, and judging by all the original metal and panels this was probably the case.

Having said that, I haven't done much with it in the last 12 years:roll:

Rich Oakley
15 years ago

Standard split wrote:

Far be it from me to tell you what to do with your cars, but it would certainly be nice to see the '47 and the '49 roadworthy again. 😉

Have you still got just the one Routemaster?
Standard split
15 years ago
One Routemaster is more than enough :!:

Still have the two Tatras (my 1938 Tatra 97 Beetle look-alike is my avatar, left) as well as all the Beetles. '49 would go back on the road very easily – just a service – its that good, cable brakes still work okay, no rotted out hydrualics to replace 😎 : '47 Needs more effort :roll:

How do you know about the '47s history Rich, word of mouth or some documented info:?:

48REME
  • 48REME
15 years ago

Standard split wrote:

Didn't you buy it from an old museum collection that was being auctioned off, John? If so, I wonder how it made its way there from the scrapyard.
Funny how some gems manage to survive and be resurrected from near death.
Standard split
15 years ago
The owner of the private museum collection actually rescued it from the scrap yard I believe. Rich may know otherwise :?:
Rich Oakley
15 years ago

The owner of the private museum collection actually rescued it from the scrap yard I believe. Rich may know otherwise :?:

Standard split wrote:

That's correct.

I don't know much else about the car other than what I've already posted.
GKL 7
15 years ago
I remember someone trying to outbid himself at the auction of this car Eh! John:wink:
GKL 7
15 years ago
NICK,I THOUGHT YOU WERE MAD.
But i must say,GOOD decision.
It looked lovely before but that is soooo much nicer.
48REME
  • 48REME
15 years ago

NICK,I THOUGHT YOU WERE MAD.
But i must say,GOOD decision.
It looked lovely before but that is soooo much nicer.

'50 Karmann wrote:

...and more importantly (to me at least), more correct!
thanks... but now I can't wait to see it finished. I'm getting more progress pics tomorrow I think!:p
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
15 years ago

There were only L225 Jupiter Grey and L344 Rush Green Standards available, from 1958 to 1963.
This one was apparently specially requested by the first owner in that Deluxe shade of green (L14 Reseda Green), which is why
I simply had to return it to that colour scheme, if only because it's quite unique.
The museum told me that there have been one or two Standards over the years which have originally been requested in Deluxe colours by
customers but they are exceptions.
I actually don't particularly like Reseda Green so I'm doing this more for the history of this car! :wink:

48REME wrote:

i like it, it reminds me of pastel green