gizmo
  • gizmo
  • Newbie Topic Starter
15 years ago
Hello, I was wondering if someone can decode this vin plate.

It is on a 1956 UK Oval Deluxe. Here is a picture of the vin plate:

UserPostedImage

The number is 2465381.

This is not the chassis number. What is this number?

thanks

Miles.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
IN2VWS
15 years ago
Sorry to tell you, that is not a vin plate for an oval.
It is a VIN plate for a January 1971 vehicle. The style of the plate is also incorrect for an oval.
Is the car on a later pan? That might explain the tag in your pic.
Does the number on the tag match the number on the tunnel?
gizmo
  • gizmo
  • Newbie Topic Starter
15 years ago
The number on the tunnel does not match this one. The number on the tunnel and the engine, plus it's documented history confirms it's age. I don't think the VIN can relate to a 1971 vehicle. Can you recommend a site which clearly explains what this number means. Thanks Miles.
bruce
15 years ago
That VIN tag is indeed from a 71. Why it's on your car, you have to figure out. Is that number on any of your documents?
gizmo
  • gizmo
  • Newbie Topic Starter
15 years ago
No it's not on any of the documents. This is a very original Oval with well documented traceable history. Hence why I posted this query.
IN2VWS
15 years ago

No it's not on any of the documents. This is a very original Oval with well documented traceable history. Hence why I posted this query.

gizmo wrote:

If that is mounted to the car, then I would begin to question the "well documented history".
No malice or disrespect intended.
Ovalbug
15 years ago
I'm going to have to join the few others as have already posted and say that that data plate belongs to a 1971 VW..........
The 1950's data plate looks nothing like the later ones; there is no way a 1956 car would have had that VIN plate fitted fom new.......:?
'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
'72 1302LS Karmann Cabrio RHD
IN2VWS
15 years ago
This is what you should have mounted behind the spare wheel, just above your body number.

UserPostedImage
Rich Oakley
15 years ago

Hello, I was wondering if someone can decode this vin plate.

It is on a 1956 UK Oval Deluxe. Here is a picture of the vin plate:

UserPostedImage

The number is 2465381.

This is not the chassis number. What is this number?

thanks

Miles.

gizmo wrote:

Hi Miles,

I didn't even notice this when I viewed the car last week. That is very strange, as this really is a nice, original UK Oval. I wonder if the wheel well panel was replaced at some time with a good, used 70s part that still had this tag attached? Does the car still have the proper type of VIN plate next to the brake fluid reservoir?

Rich.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
gizmo
  • gizmo
  • Newbie Topic Starter
15 years ago
Good news I have checked again and the original VIN plate is there. The numbers match up. The Oval has just been sold and has gone to a very good home. Thank you for the assistance on this one :)

Thanks Miles.