48REME
14 years ago

& what will that tell them? that you can’t respect other peoples choice of how to have their own car?

Richard wrote:

No, just that he doesn't like that sort of look and it's his bloody right. Quite frankly, I don't know who's car it is on the left
of the picture but it's not difficult to see which one of the two is nicer.
Richard
14 years ago

No, just that he doesn't like that sort of look and it's his bloody right. Quite frankly, I don't know who's car it is on the left
of the picture but it's not difficult to see which one of the two is nicer.

48REME wrote:

That depends on your opinion. Some would say the one on the left is nicer, as apart from the suspention, the body is 100% stock & 90% original.
48REME
14 years ago
It may be that it is more original but if you went around asking people with this picture in hand, I very much doubt it would win over the other one!
Richard
14 years ago

It may be that it is more original but if you went around asking people with this picture in hand, I very much doubt it would win over the other one!

48REME wrote:

That may-be, but that's got nothing to do with 64rotbox's original comment.
VW Stan
14 years ago
I think it would be nice to get another picture of them together once Rich's car is back to stock height! :wink:

Both nice cars in their own way, but the suspension mods and wheels are what 64rotbox is saying he has no time for.

I don't think lack of respect comes into it. He's just saying he doesn't like it which is fair enough, isn't it?

:roll:

It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
48REME
14 years ago
I don't see how one person not having the time of day for certain types of cars has anything to do with the 'respect of other people's choice'.
He just expressed his personal view and taste, you brought in the issue of that causing disrespect to others and their cars.
Anyway, we could go on like this and it probably wouldn't achieve much...:wink:
Standard split
14 years ago

Now the plate it was issued when it was imported was 458 XUL. I have a thing about import plates, because they are not age related - you can tell instantly that a car has been re registered, as they all use the same batch of numbers. In addition, in 1951, plates had 3 letters then 3 numbers not 3 number and 3 letters (these only came in in the late '50s). My true 'age related' plate was picked up at a reasonable price from eBay. The car is now known in my club as 'VOD'

Rhodrich wrote:

Firstly I'd like to say that this is a smashing car:!:

However, I don't buy the registration plate theory. Why attempt to disguise the perfectly obvious as its a left-hand drive car:wink:

The recent import into the UK is all part of the car's history and 458 XUL was the allocated registration.

I did own a 1951 Austin Devon once :shock: :shock: :shock: sorry about that, but actually they are not a bad car:wink: This car had lost its old registration and had been allocated a 1963 A reg. I made the effort to acquire a 1951 reg for this as (unlike a LHD VW) being a UK built car new here that year it really looked wrong.

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
55Kab
14 years ago
The type of discussion above is getting tiresome. I wish people would take their blinkers off, just because a certain look or part of the VW scene is not for you, I still think it's distasteful to criticise on a public forum.

Personally I like both and would happily accept both in my garage. Rich & Rich donate here...:wink:

64rotbox
14 years ago

& what will that tell them? that you can’t respect other peoples choice of how to have their own car?

Richard wrote:

That depends on how touchy they are. People with stockers have to endure "duh needs slammin yo" on other forums all the bloody time without getting narky, but it never seems to work the other way around.

Nothing to do with blinkers. The car I'm building at the moment is anything but stock (big engine, lowered a bit, discs etc.) I won't be expecting people on a 'stock, coachbuilt and old speed' forum to like it and therefore won't be posting photos of it.
You can call me Al.
sambafreak
14 years ago
Ha ha this is the funniest shit i have read in ages.....hats off.......
55Kab
14 years ago

That depends on how touchy they are. People with stockers have to endure "duh needs slammin yo" on other forums all the bloody time without getting narky, but it never seems to work the other way around.

Nothing to do with blinkers. The car I'm building at the moment is anything but stock (big engine, lowered a bit, discs etc.) I won't be expecting people on a 'stock, coachbuilt and old speed' forum to like it and therefore won't be posting photos of it.

64rotbox wrote:

Agreed and like you, that's why there's no pics of my Cab on here. Well, I think I did post one once! :oops:

I think the "duh needs slammin yo" comments would eminate from those who only live on that other forum we don't talk about. From what I've seen I don't think any of the RW crowd would make comments like that :wink:

64rotbox
14 years ago
Maybe. I suppose if they did they'd at least type it out in a more coherent way.

Mind you, I do seem to remember a bit of a hoo-hah regarding a certain cabriolet, when it was announced that the new owner was going to get rid of all the 'original' rust, paint it, alter the wheelbarrow-esque front track, put a big engine in it and stuff like that... you know, do what he wanted with it rather than what everyone else thought it should look like. Now *that* was some 'funny shit'.
You can call me Al.
Richard
14 years ago

64rotbox wrote:

I didn't post the picture of my car, and never have.
55Kab
14 years ago

Mind you, I do seem to remember a bit of a hoo-hah regarding a certain cabriolet, when it was announced that the new owner was going to get rid of all the 'original' rust, paint it, alter the wheelbarrow-esque front track, put a big engine in it and stuff like that... you know, do what he wanted with it rather than what everyone else thought it should look like. Now *that* was some 'funny shit'.

64rotbox wrote:

^^^^^:lol: :lol: :lol: :beer:

GKL 7
14 years ago
Has someone dug a secret tunnel from volkszone to here.

edit:
Where is Stu BTW
stu
  • stu
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago

edit:
Where is Stu BTW

'50 Karmann wrote:

lol, im here, to be honest we should all stop the bickering, i no im guilty too, i also genuinely like both cars...
zippy
14 years ago
i think both cars are 😎
back in the late 80's early 90's i slammed too many bugs but these days im stock height due to speed bumps 😶
but i think any old vw which is still on the road and has'nt been scrapped or crushed is better than none at all
have to say an old uk rhd always put's a smile on my face, where to me the last few years it's been a flood of lhd
mrsherbie
14 years ago

'50 Karmann wrote:

YES, to all you lowered guys, this is a STOCK HEIGHT FORUM, and as such it is the ONLY place on the net where beetle owners can be honest and freely say that they dont like modified cars.

You have Restowagen and Volkspleb if you want to talk or argue lowered, but please DONT DO IT HERE as no-one here is interested in it.

:wink: :beer:

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Standard split
14 years ago

You have Restowagen and Volkspleb if you want to talk or argue lowered, but please DONT DO IT HERE as no-one here is interested in it.

:wink: :beer:

mrsherbie wrote:

So right, lowered cars annoy me. Have you ever tried to find a Type ll that hasn't been lowered, or with narrowed beams or 'earlies; or other mods stuck on it:?:

I don't buy the 'it can easily be put back to original' given by owners of such cars. a messed with Beetle will always be just that. Its history is soiled. And since when has raw rust been patina :evil:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
Rhodrich
14 years ago
It's now up for sale, due to imminent baby arrival (due today!), and lack of possibilities for seatbelts and baby seats.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=941215 

My Mercedes 230SL is also up for sale due to lack of rear seats as well.

However, I'm keeping the 412LE variant - there's no way I'd be getting rid of such a rare car!

R