ferdykid
15 years ago
Does anybody know if a RHD Type 1 '66 ever had a factory hazard light switch fitted? I've sourced a switch, but I don't know the correct position for it on a RHD car.

Thanks

Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
tofufi
15 years ago
Apparently some '66 Beetles did.

See here:

https://www.1966vwbeetle.com/1966%20Model%20Year%20Changes.htm 

There is a picture :)

I've never seen one with it fitted though. My UK '66 doesn't have them.
Rhodrich
15 years ago
I wouldn't trust that site - there are a few things that are wrong:
'One Key for door and ignition' was introduced a lot earlier (my '65 had it)
'Rear view mirror no longer incorporated into sun visor mountings' - wasn't on my '65 either.

That Hazard switch in the picture looks like an accessory to me.

If I were putting one in, I'd put by the ashtray, the opposite side to the ignition switch.
Rich Oakley
15 years ago

Does anybody know if a RHD Type 1 '66 ever had a factory hazard light switch fitted? I've sourced a switch, but I don't know the correct position for it on a RHD car.

Thanks

ferdykid wrote:

Nope, never as standard.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
ferdykid
15 years ago
I've seen a couple of pics of LHD dashes with the switch directly below the radio blanking plate in line with the headlamp switch, but I prefer the idea of beside the ashtray, more symmetrical and could be replaced with a lighter at some later point.

Cheers for the pointers!
zehbeh
15 years ago
[img]https://[/img]

I've seen a couple of pics of LHD dashes with the switch directly below the radio blanking plate in line with the headlamp switch, but I prefer the idea of beside the ashtray, more symmetrical and could be replaced with a lighter at some later point.

Cheers for the pointers!

ferdykid wrote:

On my LHD the switch is in that position, but I would prefer to have it somewhere else. The switch itself is so voluminous, that it touches the radio, and the radio thereby isn't at the right position. I know think about moving it beside the ashtray. I am only afraid of not beeing able to close the hole in the dash in a way that it isn't visible anymore.
Christian  IMG_9634a.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
ferdykid
15 years ago
Hi Christian,

I'm not sure about your switch - looking at Samba, found lots of pics with a different VW branded switch. If you look at the headlight and wiper switches, they are slightly recessed, but it doesn't look like the flasher ones are - presumably the factory wouldn't press a recess into the panel and look odd in the markets where they didn't need to fit the switch, but doesn't sit right and match when it is fitted..... if it goes on, I think it will be by the ashtray!

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
ferdykid
15 years ago
Found some pics from manuals on Samba too:

August 66 manual

UserPostedImage

August 65 manual

UserPostedImage
zehbeh
15 years ago
Great brochure. So the position of mine is fine.
Unfortunately the front plate of my radio causes an angular mounting of the radio.
I should get a switch that is slim and allows to mount the radio in a better way.
So does anybody know a suitable switch, or what dimensions had the originally mounted switches?
Mister_Storm
15 years ago

Apparently some '66 Beetles did.

See here:

https://www.1966vwbeetle.com/1966%20Model%20Year%20Changes.htm 

There is a picture :)

I've never seen one with it fitted though. My UK '66 doesn't have them.

tofufi wrote:

My '66 has just had one fitted. Far from standard though.  bertie32.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.