Ovalbug
  • Ovalbug
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
14 years ago
Despite having had a few Sperrwolf locks over the years I actually know very little about them!
Were these locks made by VW themselves or was there actually a 3rd party company making them for VW?
Lastly, are the earlier 'toilet bowl' models really worth that much more than the later (ie 60s) types with/without the built-in ignition switch?
I ask this as having had a look on The Samba recently was pretty stunned at some of the prices being asked for early locks ie $500-600 :shock:!

:wink:
'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
'72 1302LS Karmann Cabrio RHD
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
If anyone knows whats wrong with mine I´d like to know!
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
mrsherbie
14 years ago
I dont know anything about them, but while considering a few subtle accessories for my oval I considered fitting a nos ignition one, until O handed me me a boxful and the fact they seem to be in most swedish cars ( lots of German too JD?) so seem to be considered far more 'rare' in the US than over here, so I decided that they are not remotely rare enough to be interesting and changed my mind :lol:

So I have a really mint gear one to fit, purely as it is a 'beige' accessory so matches my car, as it does yours ovalbug :d but I took a pic of these to put on website when I get round to it. I think there is a real difference in the price of nice unscratched og paint with its nice original non rusty key! and a tatty one missing its key. Hence the $500 one on the samba which looks mint. But as I say I know little about them too.

UserPostedImage
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Ovalbug
  • Ovalbug
14 years ago

I dont know anything about them, while considering a few subtle accessories for my oval I considered fitting a nos ignition one, until O handed me me a boxful and the fact they seem to be in most swedish cars ( lots of German too JD?) so seem to be considered far more 'rare' in the US than over here, so I decided that they are not remotely rare enough to be interesting and changed my mind :lol:

So I have a really nice gear one to fit, purely as it is a 'beige' accessory so matches my car :d but I took a pic of these to put on website when I get round to it. I think there is a real difference in the price of nice unscratched og paint with its nice original non rusty key! and a tatty one missing its key. Hence the $500 one on the samba which looks mint. But as I say I know little about them too.

UserPostedImage

mrsherbie wrote:

Come on Anna, did you really have to post a picture showing a heap of them? :lol: :lol: :lol: Feeling quite jealous now :lol: .
I've only got one early one, and only paid £40 for that years ago so am a bit shocked at the price being asked today.
The early one will end up some day in the '53; as you say they were standard equipment in several European markets but aren't that common (in OG form) in British cars.
Posted this thread as even though I have a NOS later example there's absolutely nothing on the box or instructions relating to the manufacturer?
Box merely has a label saying 'SPERRWOLF' and the 211 part number.....
Really would love to know more about these locks!

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
Actually now you mention it, I seem to remember someone once told me that German insurance companys insisted that Beetles had either a steering lock or a shift lock fitted. They aren´t rare.

$500 dollars is probably the same thing as some of the "buy it now" chancers on Ebay.
UserPostedImage
mrsherbie
14 years ago

UserPostedImage

Ovalbug wrote:

OOH! I love that! I dont think we have a doggy leaflet!*!

Yes but my pic looks like a heap of scrap now I have seen that one! :lol:

As they might say on Antiques Roadshow " well the good news is that you did well with your £40 purchase" :lol:

I figure it is probably a 'useful' accessory too, I still remember when the black 53 oval was stolen at run to the sun, it was obviously driven away and has never surfaced since. I know people dont jump in ovals often and steal them but its always possible.

69project
14 years ago
i looked at one on samba a few months ago,it had been repainted but would have meant cutting rubber matting around stick so i didnt bother...

have this though,i love it

UserPostedImage

(no doggy booklet though :lol: )
Car less.....
mrsherbie
14 years ago
The steering lock ones still look nice. and I am with you, I will not cut or change anything on the car which even stops me fitting a clock, also hence I have not even touched the car in a year :oops: my how time flys! :lol:

So what we have deduced from this thread is that in fact, it is the doggy leaflet and key fob that is the rare as hens teeth item :lol:
69project
14 years ago

The steering lock ones still look nice. and I am with you, I will not cut or change anything on the car which even stops me fitting a clock, also hence I have not even touched the car in a year :oops: my how time flys! :lol:

So what we have deduced from this thread is that in fact, it is the doggy leaflet and key fob that is the rare as hens teeth item :lol:

mrsherbie wrote:

basically,yes!
Car less.....
Ovalbug
  • Ovalbug
14 years ago

mrsherbie wrote:

:lol:

Looks as if no-one really knows who made them then? :lol:
Have to admit that I thought they were a VW-made item as I've never seen or heard of a Sperrwolf for any other make of car?
Yet recently I've come across NOS Sperrwolf key blanks (identical in every way with the cut keys on my doggy keyfob) with supposedly BMW application part numbers???????

'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
Isn´t there any kind of makers name on the info leaflet?
UserPostedImage
Ovalbug
  • Ovalbug
14 years ago

Isn´t there any kind of makers name on the info leaflet?

JD wrote:

Nope, absolutely nothing , not even VW :?: .
That's one of the main reasons why I'm beginning to think it was an in-house made jobbie............

'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
A bit of googling sees these described as WASO Sperrwolf quite often.

Probably from these guys...

https://www.kununu.com/firmenprofil/WASO+Maschinenbau+GmbH-597461.html 

Mine is the old toilet bowl type. Wish it worked.
UserPostedImage
Ovalbug
  • Ovalbug
14 years ago

A bit of googling sees these described as WASO Sperrwolf quite often.

Probably from these guys...

https://www.kununu.com/firmenprofil/WASO+Maschinenbau+GmbH-597461.html 

Mine is the old toilet bowl type. Wish it worked.

JD wrote:

The Waso was a different brand/design AFAIK.
I'm sure the Waso design have their fans but I've always found them to be pig-ugly :lol: .
Seem to remember that in the early '90s Karmann Konnection had a stock of NOS Waso locks that they were flogging off quite cheap.....
What symptoms does your exhibit? The older 'toilet bowl' type Sperrwolf is much less complex inside than the later design, so if yours isn't working, as long as you have the key to open it up it shouldn't be too difficult to fathom out what's wrong?..........

'63 Karmann Ghia RHD
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
A different firm? Oh ok. Who knew!:oops:

The smyptoms are "Does not work when attached to car". I have the key and it works fine when removed - just can´t make it work when fitted. Its a bit broken anyway. Should probably just buy a better one. My mats didn´t need cuttig to fit it though.
UserPostedImage
pre67vw
14 years ago
My Googling brought up Neiman as the manufacturer.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago

What symptoms does your exhibit? The older 'toilet bowl' type Sperrwolf is much less complex inside than the later design, so if yours isn't working, as long as you have the key to open it up it shouldn't be too difficult to fathom out what's wrong?..........

Ovalbug wrote:

Thats what I thought too.
Doesn´t work when fitted - does when it isn´t!
UserPostedImage