54DoubleDoor
14 years ago
I know this has been talked about before, but i'm somewhat confused over the whole situation.

I am 'slowly' restoring our 56 RHD UK oval.. But I need to buy some tyres to take it down off the axle stands and move it about.

I want some radial tyres as the car is my wifes and she intends to use it often with our young daughter. Therefore as much as I'd love to put some crossplies on the car i dont think its safe enough. and the cost is twice as much!..

What I want to know is what is the best size and type of radial that would look the part, be as close to the original size (thinking speedo reading aswell).

I've narrowed it down to the Michelin XZX's, the vredestein classics or the Firestone F560's.

Firestone don't seem to do a 155. but the others do, I was looking at a oval at the weekend and the 155's seem to look better but obviously they are smaller in diameter.

Any views on the correct tyre size?

Thanks in advance.
54 UK Doubledoor Panel Van
56 UK Deluxe Oval
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
54 Gertie
14 years ago

Firestone don't seem to do a 155. but the others do, I was looking at a oval at the weekend and the 155's seem to look better but obviously they are smaller in diameter.

54DoubleDoor wrote:

I agree! They look good (nothing like crossplies mind! :wink: ) and just sit nicely in the arch!

I think Firestone stopped the production of them last year for a while as they needed to re-tool orsomething! We ended up having to buy the next size up for the 55 that I cal tractor tyres for obvious reasons!

Annoyingly they still have loads of tread on them so I guess we'll have to make do for a little while longer! :lol:

William
VW Stan
14 years ago
I think I'd go for the the Vredestein sprint classic - 155SR15

SPRST.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago

I think I'd go for the the Vredestein sprint classic - 155SR15

VW Stan wrote:

I had some of them. They look a bit crappy TBH. The grip is nothing to shout about either.

I´ve been in the same dilemma myself. I wondered about getting some Michelin X tyres - the original radial. They´re at least period correct. I suppose they are still made?
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
54 Gertie
14 years ago

I had some of them. They look a bit crappy TBH. The grip is nothing to shout about either.

I´ve been in the same dilemma myself. I wondered about getting some Michelin X tyres - the original radial. They´re at least period correct. I suppose they are still made?

JD wrote:

Agreed!

I have these on the front of my 63 and they are not nice!
William
Sunroof53
14 years ago
Radials are definitly smaller, and the xzx's are still availible from classic tyres.I changed from radials to Camac crossplies and would not recommend them to my worst enemy.Stick with a name brand radial and forget the cost and the compromise in looks especially if your family are using it.

Good luck with your car ,Any pics?
harveypj
14 years ago
North Hants tyres are selling the F560's They are an 80 profile so are as 'tall' as radials get.
I'd guess a 155 would be best, not over wide and give a better OD.
Stock......the new custom
54DoubleDoor
14 years ago
Thanks for the replies..

A pic of our Oval..

From this..

UserPostedImage

to this... L313 Reed Green

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
56 UK Deluxe Oval
54DoubleDoor
14 years ago
Looking at whats available in the 155 its really only the vredestein that I can find.. or some toyos
56 UK Deluxe Oval
mrmagyar
14 years ago
The Vredesteins look awful; the tread continues part-way up the sidewalls and makes them look as though they have a moulding fault. I think the Firestones or Michelins look the part if you're going for radials.
1949 Belgian Standard
1955 UK RHD De Luxe
54 Gertie
14 years ago
Wow what a good solid shell! :shock: 😎

BTW, why is it missing the metal heat pipes that go through the rear crossmember? Or is it justa trick of the light? :lol:
William
54 Gertie
14 years ago

Wow what a good solid shell! :shock: 😎

BTW, why is it missing the metal heat pipes that go through the rear crossmember? Or is it justa trick of the light? :lol:

54 Gertie wrote:

Cant see them here either? :wink:

UserPostedImage

William
54DoubleDoor
14 years ago
They are separate aren't they?.. the split ones are anyway..

The others I was going to add in once back on the pan.. which it is now.

Has anyone got a pic of this area to understand what you mean.

I've built beetles before but not as early as this and not 100% stock. Lets just say i know more of Split Vans than Oval bugs..:wink:

UserPostedImage
56 UK Deluxe Oval
54DoubleDoor
14 years ago

The Vredesteins look awful; the tread continues part-way up the sidewalls and makes them look as though they have a moulding fault. I think the Firestones or Michelins look the part if you're going for radials.

mrmagyar wrote:

165's it is then probablt the Firestones.
56 UK Deluxe Oval
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
Interesting info here.
https://www.michelin-passion.com/passion/front/templates/affich.jsp?codeRubrique=10&lang=EN 
UserPostedImage
54 Gertie
14 years ago

I've built beetles before but not as early as this and not 100% stock. Lets just say i know more of Split Vans than Oval bugs..:wink:

UserPostedImage

54DoubleDoor wrote:

Ah yes! I read the Ultra VW feature on your 54! 😎 Very nice!
William
54 Gertie
14 years ago

54DoubleDoor wrote:

They are welded to the cros member on early beetles. It changes to a Bakelite tube that does come out (just) on later (talking 70s) beetles!

Here is a not so great picture but you can just about see there is a tube coming through the crossmember, this is linked to the heater channel by a spot welded on heater baffle. Well, the bottom half of the baffle is spot welded on anyway!

This is Peter Harveys 58 but they are pretty much identical all through the 50s, even though this is a small window!

I would nip out to get you a photo of it on our 55 but she is away at the mo' so I cant sorry, im sure someone would be willing to go and get a photo for you! :d

UserPostedImage
William
54 Gertie
14 years ago
When someone mentioned Anna '50 split on VZi, an idea came to me...:wink:

Although this is a much older car, It is the same as this. The heat pipe is spot welded on the crossmember!

Not to late to change and im sure you could get some paint blended in, it is afterall only underneath the car! :wink: :lol:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
William
GKL 7
14 years ago
If you can get xzx's they are a brilliant tyre.
Like all Michelin tyres they will do a big mileage,the only draw back.. if it can be classed as one, is they have very soft side walls.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago

If you can get xzx's they are a brilliant tyre.
Like all Michelin tyres they will do a big mileage,the only draw back.. if it can be classed as one, is they have very soft side walls.

'50 Karmann wrote:

I wonder what the Michelin X is like. Period perfect on a fifties car for sure, but I wonder how they´d look in real life?
UserPostedImage