strato
14 years ago
I want to introduce myself to the vintage speed experts. I recently purchased an Okrasa equiped 36hp. I am
going to re-build the motor over time and swap out my stock 36er as money permits. I am going to need some direction to do it right, and have some questionable parts included in the kit. I have a friend helping who in an expert in early porsche 911, 356, and vw so the assembly should be no problem.

It is hard to find good help north of the border!

Thanks, Strato
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
vicpolky
14 years ago
Hello and welcome :beer:

Lets see some pics of that motor :lol:
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
Welcome. :d
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
strato
14 years ago
Thanks guys,

I will try to get them posted. I already stripped the block bare and sent the Okrasa heads for a valve job. Crank is stock and
getting fluxed and polished. I need suggestions on a cam? Any info on the BBT cam? The engine came with most of the tin, linkage,
and a cool "tracter oil cooler" It is a "Kralinator oil conditioner". Inside I found a Fram c-180 canister. Fuel lines are present
but sadly no air filters for the solex 32 PICB carbs.

UserPostedImage

Hope this pic works, like I said Newbie!

Strato  IMG_0052_1_1.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_0018_2_1.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_0016_4_1.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.
lou cypher
14 years ago

sent the Okrasa heads for a valve job. I need suggestions on a cam? Any info on the BBT cam?

Strato

strato wrote:

Take 35mm intake valves & 30mm exhaust :lol:

You can use a S90 cam :twisted: or a preA one

I think it would be cheaper to go to Joe(Mr Okrasa) for a cam he has PreA ones and much near to you than BBT [email protected]
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago

You can use a S90 cam :twisted: or a preA one

lou cypher wrote:

Have you tried it? Is it a direct fit?
UserPostedImage
lou cypher
14 years ago

Have you tried it? Is it a direct fit?

JD wrote:

Yeah I have, it drops right in a "2 piece case" :lol:

You can also use the 74mm crank, with little clearance work on the case (journal is 55 though!)
But then where do you stop?
carrillo race rods, shasta cylinders, JE pistons, 356 heads with SC valves full flowed, twin 40 P11's - CONGRATULATIONS you just built a 356 race motor :twisted:

If you want to use 74mm crank and stay VW take one with VW journal size, use 30hp clearenced rods, bigger P&C's, bigger valves and some head work:beer:

Now you will just need a slip diff :?
strato
14 years ago
We did drop in a 356 crank just for fun. Unfortunately it was not mine and the price points are a little steep.
For the first "round" it will be a modest build. Thanks for the info I will e-mail Joe and see if he can supply a cam.
What do you think I can expect from a 36 with "stock" Okrasa heads, 356 grind cam, 32's and an Abarth? 50hp?

lifeintheslowlane
14 years ago

What do you think I can expect from a 36 with "stock" Okrasa heads, 356 gring cam, 32's and an Abarth? 50hp?

strato wrote:

Battle of The Mouse Motors 
John.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago

Yeah I have, it drops right in a "2 piece case" :lol:

You can also use the 74mm crank, with little clearance work on the case (journal is 55 though!)
But then where do you stop?
carrillo race rods, shasta cylinders, JE pistons, 356 heads with SC valves full flowed, twin 40 P11's - CONGRATULATIONS you just built a 356 race motor :twisted:

lou cypher wrote:

I´m going to be using a 74mm crank, 912 rods, 80mm iron cylinders (around 1500cc)in my "30hp" motor. The rest is still up in the air. May try the new Okrasa repro heads.

Should run pretty well.

"a full race 356 motor"? Oh, yes, that would be awful.:wink:
UserPostedImage
strato
14 years ago
John,
Just noticed the link, thats great! I will dig out my issue for some reading material. I love reading things again for the first time!

30.7 hp at the wheels! I better wear a neck brace :d
strato
14 years ago
Reading through the mouse motor article I keep noticing that solex cards are often descrided as PBIC and PICB is there any difference
as I can only find re-build kits for PBIC.

In the feature on the Vert it desribes them one way and on the dino test another? Same gaskets? Anybody know what jetting I should be checking
for juring the re-build?

Crank guy called and it will need first over on all the bearings.

One of my rods is mismatched too!:shock: Nice job P.O.
lou cypher
14 years ago

May try the new Okrasa repro heads.

JD wrote:

Hey JD why bother with those "Repro heads" it's possible to get more hp out of 30hp heads & just make yourself some single port Okrasa style manifolds :?

https://www.blackline57.com/valve_train_heads.htm 

Congratulations Justin & Colton you just raised the bar again for the 30hp guy's :beer:

JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago

Hey JD why bother with those "Repro heads" it's possible to get more hp out of 30hp heads & just make yourself some single port Okrasa style manifolds :?

https://www.blackline57.com/valve_train_heads.htm 

lou cypher wrote:

I was just looking at that. Nice aren´t they!
I don´t know. I saw Bonnevilletoms ported heads that will outflow a stock Okrasa head, but I wonder what a ported Okrasa would flow like?
I may well be better off with single port heads anyway - got to fool the TÜV guys that its stock!:twisted:
UserPostedImage
lou cypher
14 years ago

I wonder what a ported Okrasa would flow like?

JD wrote:

They can flow real good if you have deep enough pockets :roll:

your using 80mm P&C's so first you need to "Machine" the heads to the bigger size, new bigger valves,guides,keepers etc, unshroud the valves, then flow them :?
That's going to probably cost you around €1000 :shock: plus you will first need a set of good Okrasa heads

Steve's VW shop  does some very nice head work

if you want to come racing with the "Oldtimer Oldspeed Club" start with modified 30hp heads, then when it goes BANG it's not too much money up in smoke

Building fast motors is an expensive hobby :twisted:
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
Hmmm... you may have a point there. Cheaper to blow a pair of 30hp heads off the motor, eh!
Expensive? Yeah, you´re not wrong! Unfortunately I don´t exactly have a Formula 1 size budget to play with. Its definitely a case of "how fast can you afford?"

I do want to get into the "1 club" though!

Sorry for hijacking your intro thread Strato!
UserPostedImage
strato
14 years ago
No problem JD, I just soak up as much info as I can. I got a good deal on the Okrasa stuff
and dont want to tune the hell out of it. I have a 12v 2020cc with 45 dells I could put in
if fast was the priority, I think the 36 with the Okrasa kot will give the oval some vintage
speed coolness. I want to cruise it reliably to shows hours away without filling the tank ten times!

JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
I can understand that. This stuff is perfect in a nicely restored car (or an old heap, in my case!)
What´s the story with that motor BTW? It looks like its had a hard life before you found it (to say the least!)
UserPostedImage
strato
14 years ago
Not sure the last time it was running. It was bought as a long block and a few baskets!

After cracking it we could tell that someone "cleaned" the piston tops and put in rings.

The cam and lifters are toast. The Okrasa stuff is in very nice shape, no broken fins,
fuel lines and linkage are all there. The tins, muffler and heater boxes all need some serious
wave of the blaster and paint. May get a quote for semi-black powder coat.

Priorities are re-building the carbs, getting a cam and bearings etc. and getting the block
back together. I considered just putting the Okrasa stuff on my exising motor, but think that starting fresh
and leaving the running 36 alone is the best way to insure it will run strong for years to come.