JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
14 years ago
Good info for this conversion, recieved from "Burly" from thesamba.

DOG HOUSE 36hp CONVERSION

Converting a 36hp engine to a dog house oil cooler for improved engine life is easily accomplished. I am not a mechanic, more of a parts changer, but I performed this upgrade along with others to bring my 36hp into the 21st century. Here are the steps I followed and the parts the conversion required:

a. Remove the 6mm vertical stud holding the original oil cooler. I installed a 6-8mm oil strainer repair stud in its place (or you could drill & tap the hole and install a full length 8mm stud).

b. Drill the remaining two oil cooler mounting holes in the flange above the #3 & 4 cylinders to 8mm.

c. Install the offset cooler adapter using 2 of the 8-10mm green oil cooler conversion seals between the case and adapter with the 8mm diameter hole of the seal facing the case.

d. Install the oil cooler to the adapter using the 2 red silicone oil cooler seals and then, if available, install the small deflector tins and foam oil cooler to shroud seal on the cooler.

e. Using the original 36hp cooling fan as a guide, drill matching cooling holes in the new dog house style cooling fan, rebalance if needed and then install onto the generator (the wide fan is required for proper cooling inside the wider dog house fan shroud and the holes are required for cooling the generator !).

f. Using the original fan shroud as a guide, drill front and back holes for the throttle guide tube and then drill holes for mounting the coil bracket ( If available, install nutserts for mounting the bracket !)

g. Reassemble the fan shroud and install following normal procedures after replacing the firewall tin with the slotted dog house style. Install the dog house ducts onto the fan shroud.

Required parts (using VW and EMPI part numbers):

Oil Cooler (71-79 style)………….113-117-021

Adapter…………………………....113-117-303

Cooler Seals( 8-10 green)………111-117-151 (9255) requires 2

Cooler Seals(10 red silicone)……021-117-151A requires 2

Nut(8mm)…………………………N110082 requires 3

Spring Washer(8mm)……………..N120082 requires 3

Stud(6mm-8mm)…………………N144521

Wide Cooling Fan(71-79 style)…..113-119-031B

Fan Hub…………………………..111-119-123A

36hp Dog House Fan Shroud……8672 Black original non-fresh air style.

Also available in chrome and with or

without fresh air outlets.

Dog House Ducts………………...8884 Black-also available in chrome

Dog House Firewall tin……….…..8952 Black-also available in chrome

Bolt(6mm)………………………..N102107

Spring Washer(6mm)..……….…...N120064 requires 2

Nut(6mm)………………….……..N110068

Once installed, the conversion is difficult to see and offers vastly improved cooling.. Other upgrades I made in the interest of better starting, improved lighting, heating and performance included a Ed Fall Vintage Werks rebuilt original distributor fitted with a Pertronix Ignitor, Vintage Werks rebuilt fuel pump and 28 PICT (with electric choke) carburetor, 40hp fresh air heater boxes (my shroud has fresh air ducts), a small diameter 12v Bosch generator and a EMPI Econo Glass Pack header exhaust #3300

slightly modified (narrowed) to fit the 36hp exhaust mounting flanges.

"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Black57oval
14 years ago
Hello,

I am real interested in your 36hp dog house conversion. I build 36hp Okrasas, Judsons and Pepco superchargers. I am working on a big valve Okrasa with big dual carbs and I thank your idea of a dog house conversion could help keep my engine cooler. Do you have any photos of your conversion that you could send to me?

Best regards,
Jeff
Vintage Speed Enthusiasts
pre67vw
14 years ago

Hello,

I am real interested in your 36hp dog house conversion. I build 36hp Okrasas, Judsons and Pepco superchargers. I am working on a big valve Okrasa with big dual carbs and I thank your idea of a dog house conversion could help keep my engine cooler. Do you have any photos of your conversion that you could send to me?

Best regards,
Jeff
Vintage Speed Enthusiasts

Black57oval wrote:

I converted my later 1300 to dog house fan, but used an aftermarket housing. It was pretty straight forward, Don't have a temp gauge to say what difference it's made though
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
lou cypher
14 years ago
If you want better cooling is much easier just to use an Airmotive Aluminium Oil Cooler :d

yes I know they are not cheap, but it also helps solve the problem of cooling on number 3 cylinder