vintagebug
14 years ago
Hi all,

I've been offered a pair of cabrio semaphores, (not particularly cheap items, are they?!! :shock: ) but there's a small difference in the part numbers on the base. Both are stamped VW & SWF, but one has the part number 151953021A and the other has 151953021B. Does anyone know what the 'A' and 'B' suffixes mean and what the difference is?

Mr. Rich Oakley, I know you're very knowledgeable about most things air-cooled VW, are you able to help me out here? :wink:

Thanks for your replies!

Dave
Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
Typically (in part number terms) it would indicate that they are handed, left and right.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
55Kab
14 years ago
This may help:

https://www.mattsparts.com/resource/reference.htm 

According to Matt's chart a 54-57 Cabrio could have either part numbers made by SWF. However is also tells you one part no is SWF and the other SHO which makes more sense to me.

Both of mine are SWF with the part number 151953021B.

How much are they being offered for? I wouldn't mine a spare set myself! :wink:

vintagebug
14 years ago

Typically (in part number terms) it would indicate that they are handed, left and right.

Agreed, but in the case of semaphores, I think it was only the very early ones that were handed. The ones I've been offered are the smooth ones, for Oval cabrios, which I believe can be fitted to either side of the car.

According to Matt's chart a 54-57 Cabrio could have either part numbers made by SWF. However is also tells you one part no is SWF and the other SHO which makes more sense to me. How much are they being offered for? I wouldn't mine a spare set myself!

Yes, I thought that 'A' would be SHO & 'B' would be SWF, but both of these ones are stamped SWF. That's what's confusing me. Do you think it would be ok to use an 'A' & a 'B' on the same car?

If I decide not to go for them Martin, I'll let you know! :lol: Thanks for the link to Matts Parts btw.

Dave
vintagebug
14 years ago
Ok guys, I'm off on holiday for a week now, so I won't be able to access the forum :(

BUT... I hope to meet some of you at HO next weekend!! :d :beer:

Cheers for now!
Dave
Jules
14 years ago

Yes, I thought that 'A' would be SHO & 'B' would be SWF, but both of these ones are stamped SWF. That's what's confusing me. Do you think it would be ok to use an 'A' & a 'B' on the same car?

vintagebug wrote:

I think 'B' is later than 'A', there must have been a change at some point.

I don't think they are handed (but if they were '021' would be left)

Provided the fit OK I think you will be fine running one 'A' and one 'B'
55Kab
14 years ago

If I decide not to go for them Martin, I'll let you know! :lol: Thanks for the link to Matts Parts btw.

vintagebug wrote:

You're welcome. Silly question but have you found and Oval Cab to put them on? :wink:

Jules is correct, both SWF A or B will fit either side.

Have a good holiday.

mrmagyar
14 years ago
Hi,
There's some useful information about semaphores and their part numbers on the Historic VW Club website:

https://www.historicvws.org.uk 

Click on 'Technical' and then 'Semaphore Special'.
1949 Belgian Standard
1955 UK RHD De Luxe
Rich Oakley
14 years ago
No cabrio semaphores were handed.

A and B versions shuold be almost identical.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.