Cog
  • Cog
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
Hi guys, just joined. Today took ownership of a one owner from new '65 Karmann Ghia Coupe so I'm pretty chuffed. Its pretty solid but needs some tidying up. Taken it out for a few hours drive and loved it. Previous owner, lovely chap of 82 only used it for a few months each year when he was home in Cornwall, west England as he lived in Cyprus the rest of the year.

Haven't had any aircooled cars for a few years, circumstances have kept me away. Previously (of note) have had a one owner from new '54 sunroofed Oval, a '56 Oval, a '59 Cabriolet and a chopped '59 although the latter was worse for wear and the cab needed some work but was road worthy. Also a '67 1500 Beetle and a '66 (the former which I miss and may attempt to replace soon.

I am interested in vintage speed so will be listening in to you guys but in the forseeable I intend to tinker a little to repair the tatty bits of the Ghia.

Nice to meet you all & look forward to learning more about you and your rides 🙂  isakarmannghia.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
64 Californian LHD Karmann Cabrio
56 Old Speed Oval RHD (MonteCarlo Rally) (for sale soon)
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rich Oakley
14 years ago
Welcome to the forum.

Nice car- is it a UK one from new? We need some more pictures and details. Does it need much work?
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Cog
  • Cog
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
Hi Rich, yes UK from new RHD. Will put some more up at weekend. Bumpers are pretty knackered for some reason, but overall its 'tatty' as opposed to rusty. Door and rear window rubbers need attention straight away. I plan to tidy it up to drive & enjoy. I want to make sure it doesn't go down hill but I a reluctant to plan now for a total respray as the fade of the original colour is part of its charm. Im not sure whats under the paint but will go over it very closely soon. I had it on ramps and had a good poke around so feel pretty confident that it is solid although you can never tell obviously.

The bottom of the engine lid is the worse affected area by far thankfully (see pic).
Rich Oakley
14 years ago
Great stuff. Look forward to the pics.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
lifeintheslowlane
14 years ago
Yep crusty chrome and perished rubber are common problem areas but it's surprising how good the car will look once those basic areas are attended to.

What's the intention...stock refurbishment?
John.
Cog
  • Cog
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
mmmm... lost the attach option here.. thats strange...

OK in answer to your question I think I am planning not to rush anything. I am enjoying just driving an aircooled car again. The most immediate things to do are the window rubbers, the bumpers and the window winders which are pretty ropey. Once those bits are done I want to take it to a trusted body guy to get the body looked at at the front and also a mis-fitting bit around the inner wing area. Rear bonnet needs a good body work guy too and there are a few rust spots I dont want getting any worse too.

Ultimately my current thinking is to keep it stock looking but maybe go the vintage speed route a little. I would love to have a lowered retro looking race car look for it but feel that the old guy has got this far in life not for me to give it a cosmetic facelift. Maybe I need another Ghia for that....

Anyway.. lets sort out the pics now...  IMG_0419.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_0156web.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_0419web.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  IMG_0424web.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.