sneal
  • sneal
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
I need some replacement doors for my 56 bug. Found a guy selling some 57 doors. Are there any differences between these doors, I have heard not but wanted to check.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
54 Gertie
14 years ago
I think Iam right in saying that between the '56 and '57 year model there were no changes, and maybe even until '60 :?:

I assume you mean the post Aug '55 doors, without the ribbing?
William
sneal
  • sneal
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
Well that got me thinking, my doors are currently not ribbed (when did they switch to non ribbed?)

Here are the doors - it might be just me but I am wondering if they are later doors, something about the window opening doesnt look right...

UserPostedImage

sneal
  • sneal
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
Ignore my comment about when did they become non ribbed - just re-read your reply!
54 Gertie
14 years ago

Well that got me thinking, my doors are currently not ribbed (when did they switch to non ribbed?)

Here are the doors - it might be just me but I am wondering if they are later doors, something about the window opening doesnt look right...

UserPostedImage

sneal wrote:

They look like the doors you want to me.

The basic size and shape of the window aperture remained unchanged until '64 and they looks to be of the earlier type, correct for you. That door also is meant for use with the "ice pick" door handle, present of the '56.
William
sneal
  • sneal
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
excellent, thanks.
54 Gertie
14 years ago
Having just found the ad for these on The Samba, they have had a one piece window kit put in at some point. This is obviously not correct for a car of this era and would need to be changed to the original 1/4 lights, unless that is you are going for a nose down, arse up cal looker. :wink:
William
sneal
  • sneal
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
cheers for the info guys, I had seen they were missing the 1/4 lights but dont worry I wasnt going for a cal looker, I have another post 67 bug for that!

Anyhow the guy hasnt replied so dont know if he couldnt be bothered to deal with a uk guy or what, so I will keep on looking....