48REME
  • 48REME
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
14 years ago
I have just received these pictures of my old 1948 REME VW as it is now, with a very detailed and careful restoration nearly completed in deepest Australia.
I am glad that the car is in good hands and has been returned to its original look.:p  R KENDALL 20 10 09 002.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  R KENDALL 20 10 09 004.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  R KENDALL 20 10 09 005.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Standard split
14 years ago
I expect that you're going to tell me that this should be shiny:twisted:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
48REME
  • 48REME
14 years ago
No John, this is an Army car so the satin finish is totally correct. I thought you were going to say it's still TOO shiny or something!:wink:
pre67vw
14 years ago
Hi Nicolas,

That looks awesome! That was the first Split I ever rode in when I rode with you a short stint to Camberg. :d :beer:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Standard split
14 years ago

No John, this is an Army car so the satin finish is totally correct. I thought you were going to say it's still TOO shiny or something!:wink:

48REME wrote:

It looks so much better than in the pale blue :beer:

It may be the florescent lights, but it looks just a little too shiny to me:?

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
pre67vw
14 years ago

It looks so much better than in the pale blue :beer:

It may be the florescent lights, but it looks just a little too shiny to me:?

Standard split wrote:

It looks pretty spot on to me, thats the shine you would get from the nitrocellulose that was used at the time.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Rich Oakley
14 years ago
Lovely!!
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
48REME
  • 48REME
14 years ago

Hi Nicolas,

That looks awesome! That was the first Split I ever rode in when I rode with you a short stint to Camberg. :d :beer:

pre67vw wrote:

Hi Rob, yes I do remember that trip very well...Happy memories!:wink:
CNE789
14 years ago

I have just received these pictures of my old 1948 REME VW

48REME wrote:

Excellent, good to see it has been restored to its former glory.

Can you tell me some more about its history?

Thanks!

H.

Searching information about Beetles in military service - especially post-war.

48REME
  • 48REME
14 years ago
I got this car from a friend of mine in Northern France who now has a 1942 type 60 KDF. He got it in the early 1990s from a VW deaership in Nanterre, outside Paris, when the owner died and all assets were sold off.
The car had been put back on the road and quite crudely restored in light baby blue with blue velvet seat covers. However, it has the original engine and most original panels. I completed the missing parts such as banana bumpers, handed semaphores, taillights and horn.
I know that this car arrived in France in 1951 and was registered in Paris. It then went in the 1960s to Versailles where it received the registration number which it still had until I bought it in 2001.
When I got the car, it had British windscreen wipers stamped with 'Made in England' so I can only assume that it was brought back from Germany by a British REME officer as was often the case.
It must have then crossed over to France shortly after (sometime between 1948 and 1951) and apparently was then painted black, according to French records.
Originally, this car was used at one of REME's vehicle pools and the VW certificate stated that it was delivered to 'Vehicle Coy 159'. Although no one in Germany was able to explain to me where this was, it may have been the British base in Bad Oeynhausen as 159 is only an identification code number.
If you check the show photos section of the site and look at Stanford Hall 2005, you will see it as it was before the present restoration with number plate CAS 290.
Great car, drove very nicely although the gearbox was a bit noisy and tired. I went to Bad Camberg with it in 2003 (as Rob remembers!):d
CNE789
14 years ago

Originally, this car was used at one of REME's vehicle pools and the VW certificate stated that it was delivered to 'Vehicle Coy 159'.

48REME wrote:

48REME,

Thanks for the information! I have a soft spot for military Beetles. Is the M6267948 the original WD census number?

Thanks,
Hanno

Searching information about Beetles in military service - especially post-war.

48REME
  • 48REME
14 years ago
No, it was a suggestion I gave to the present owner. All these CCG numbers started with M626 followed by 4 digits. I had chosen 7948 because the car was made on 7th September 1948.:wink: