CNE789
  • CNE789
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
Please see the attched pictures of a fire pump with a 1953 VW engine. Would this be an industrial engine as used in power generation sets, welders etc.?

Is this engine useable in a VW Beetle or would it need a different camshaft or similar?

Please advise.

Thanks,
Hanno

3.11.09 002.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.  3.11.09 001.JPG You have insufficient rights to see the content.

Searching information about Beetles in military service - especially post-war.

Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
People use them in Beetles pretty often. I think only the ancilliaries are different - dizzy, carb etc.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
CNE789
  • CNE789
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago

People use them in Beetles pretty often. I think only the ancilliaries are different - dizzy, carb etc.

JD wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

Who can tell for sure what the differences are? What extra parts need to be sourced to use it in a Beetle?

The seller does not know if the engine would runs. What would be a fair price for one in unknown condition?

Thanks!
Hanno

JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
I think the last one I saw was 1000 euro (?...or, I can´t remember to be honest), but the guy said it only had 40 hours running time on it and it was very clean. If he doesn´t know if it runs, and can´t tell you any history but it turns freely and doesn´t have a mile of end float (when you pull the bottom pulley in and out)then offer a few hundred maybe. I guess he knows what he thinks its worth.

What to change? Exhaust (obviously), distributor, dynamo maybe - in fact I´d just swap everything of your current motor onto it. I´m sure the cam isn´t different.
UserPostedImage
RoRoVw
14 years ago
I have a 1958 30hp industrial engine in my 1957 oval and its fine. It was originally attached to a fire pump and came with a normal distributor and generator. Before using it I had it stripped down to check the condition as it had been stood for years but still turned freely. It was like new inside the crankcase and the heads were the same. The only thing I changed were the heater boxes and associated tinware which didn't have the outlet for heat into the car or the control flaps, the exhaust and added a clutch. There didn't appear to be any differences between this engine and one originally destined for a car. It took me the 800 miles to Hessisch and back with no problems.
CNE789
  • CNE789
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
Thanks all!

It kindled my interest as I am looking for a ´65 1200cc engine for my ´65 Beetle (currently fitted with a ´66 1300c unit).

Not sure if I should buy this ´53 engine, as I might be forcing myself to buy an Oval to go with the engine :D

H.

P.S.: for reference, I have added pictures of what the complete pump looks like.
 generaaltje15146_1.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  generaaltje15146_2.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.

JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
You´ll definitely be needing an Oval to put that in. You know it makes sense!!:wink:
UserPostedImage
GKL 7
14 years ago

You´ll definitely be needing an Oval to put that in.

JD wrote:

Why not a nice x-fire dept split screen panel van.
(those wheels are original you know,fire dept special issue:wink: )  2878281.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
54 Gertie
14 years ago

Why not a nice x-fire dept split screen panel van.
(those wheels are original you know,fire dept special issue:wink: )

'50 Karmann wrote:

I think you'll find the split fire truck towing the original VW powered pump behind it would be far better. :wink:
William