Cog
  • Cog
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
Hi guys! I am expecting the delivery of an oval with a need for a new loom. Does anyone have suggestions for internet sources or books that help me with a diagram, wire colours & gagues ? Its a '54 .

Alternatively any suggestions for a wiring kit?

I'm hoping to get as close to original as possible but dont want immediately to be delayed by having to source rare parts such as tge right fuse box for example.

Many thanks :-)

Guy
64 Californian LHD Karmann Cabrio
56 Old Speed Oval RHD (MonteCarlo Rally) (for sale soon)
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Cog
  • Cog
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
Ha... Should have looked better:

https://forums.pre67vw.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=14206 
tman
  • tman
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago

Ha... Should have looked better:

https://forums.pre67vw.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=14206 

Cog wrote:

Following on from that thread, I bought a loom from Vinwire in Oz. It was very nicely made and was a perfect fit but be warned - they don't make it using spiral coloured wire. If you want a truly authentic looking loom then you may have to source the materials and DIY!
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab
Fuzzy
14 years ago
ive got an oval loom here, not sure what exact year beetle it came from ,but it is deffo from a semaphore car, i may be persuaded to sell it if its of use to you :wink:
Cog
  • Cog
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
Hey guys thank you for this. The car for its next phase wont be authentically restored although nothing will be done to it to take it further away from that possible destiny. So i am thinking of getting a quality loom but dont need a costly exact replica for now. Just a quality designed one.

Thanks 🙂
GKL 7
14 years ago

If you want a truly authentic looking loom then you may have to source the materials and DIY!

tman wrote:

John Henry is the man on here to speak to,he makes wiring looms.And they look right.
Rich Oakley
14 years ago
John Henry in NH, USA comes highly recommended. If you want to source a very good quality one in the UK, give my friend Jon a call- 01205 354946. Don't forget to tell him I gave you his number- he might buy me a beer one day.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Cog
  • Cog
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
Thanks guys. Thanks Rich. Hey, i bought some early wipers off of you in around 2002 when i lived in Sussex 🙂
tman
  • tman
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago

John Henry is the man on here to speak to,he makes wiring looms.And they look right.

'50 Karmann wrote:

John was painstakingly helpful and gave me lots of pointers over on the Samba about this and I'll happily list out some component suppliers if Cog needs them. As I remember things, and I could be remembering this all wrong, John didn't have a RHD oval loom (or a loom template).

Vinwire, being in RHD Oz, had templates already worked out so I took the easy way out in the end. Conceivably, a LHD loom could be cut down to fit a RHD car but I think a few wires will need splicing/lengthening. The main front-rear loom cables pass along the roof on the right side and emerge behind the dash at the RHS bottom of the windscreen (as viewed from inside the car). In other words, a lot of them will be too long and can be cut down to length. However, to get all the cable sleeves correct will call for a lot of rework to a LHD loom and IMO you may as well DIY once you get to that stage if the spiral wiring is important enough.
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab
Cog
  • Cog
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
Thanks Andrew, the more I look into this the more the decision becomes harder.... I dont mind making my own, its part of a build I quite enjoy but I dont think I really need to go so far as to get radial colours as opposed to what is more easily available length colours.

I also expect to need (although I am not sure until I do a full investigation on the car) other parts of the electrical system such as a fuse box but I am not sure how expensive these are, or that actually it will meet my current needs as I am expecting to add a few period vintage speed parts that will need wiring in. Catch 22 really...

But thanks for your thoughts and suggestions, I think for now I need a RHD design that includes colours / gauges of wires and lengths as part of a wiring diagram. Might be an idea to give Rich's mate, John a ring here in the UK.. 🙂
bigbulli
14 years ago
Try Rocket Ron from the ssvc he makes loads of different looms for all types of VW's and does custom loams to, including additional wires for guages etc, his email is [email protected]. I have put one of his looms in my 65 truck, one in my 65 westy and he's doing one for my 54 standard. I know he's done lots of beetles for all years. Highly recommended.
Cog
  • Cog
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
Cheers BB
mrsherbie
14 years ago

Try Rocket Ron from the ssvc he makes loads of different looms for all types of VW's and does custom loams to, including additional wires for guages etc, his email is [email protected]. I have put one of his looms in my 65 truck, one in my 65 westy and he's doing one for my 54 standard. I know he's done lots of beetles for all years. Highly recommended.

bigbulli wrote:

Yes, he is who I would use myself as having met him and seen his work in vans, it was spot on and he is a really nice & honest guy too. And he is not too far from you either.

The fuseboxes and bits and bobs are not hard to find at all or specially expensive but not instant either. Rarely is anything that looks close to correct for a 50+yr old car instantly available.
Try KN for useful reference and odd bits new or Brezelwerks through the samba or John Henry also through the samba, or spend a bit longer hunting for old used.
KN 
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Cog
  • Cog
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
Cheers mrsherbie 🙂
1962bug
14 years ago

bigbulli wrote:

Afternoon Rich, lurking on here to find your oval then!!

Jamie
UserPostedImage
Cog
  • Cog
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
Has he lost it then ? Dont look at me !
1962bug
14 years ago

Has he lost it then ? Dont look at me !

Cog wrote:

Rich lost it years ago!! He's converted over to bugs from splits as there are a few ovals in North Devon now. He's on the lookout for a left hooker, original etc so if anyone knows of any going let me or Rich know!

UserPostedImage
Cog
  • Cog
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
Left hooker bug or split? Just met a guy who needs to shift three ( or more ) early splits half done, nice ones. Plus a 911 from texas.

Cant help with ovals though although i saw a newly advertised one somewhere yesterday if i remember i will let u know
1962bug
14 years ago
left hand oval is what's needed!!!!
UserPostedImage
Cog
  • Cog
  • Regular Topic Starter
14 years ago
Love this one :

https://www.pre67vw.com/classifieds/detail.aspx?id=2031 

the new one ive only just recently spotted at fbivw.com turns out to be a RHD