Rich Oakley
14 years ago
The generator on my '47 has been whining like a strangled cat since H.O. I need to get it stripped and new bearings fitted. A couple of questions....

1. Is it easy to replace the bearings in generators? I have never tried!

2. Is is easier to ship it off and get it rebuilt? If so, does anybody know who in the UK can do this?

Many thanks,
Rich.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Sunroof53
14 years ago
The bearings are easy to change once you got it out the car.The bearing is freely available from any bearing stockist .There are many companies who can do rewinds .The yellow pages are a good start as many small firms are not on the web.Search for Motor rewinds as well as car related items .Also mark the orientation of the ends before you dissmantle as it will help with the reassembly.
GKL 7
14 years ago

2. Is is easier to ship it off and get it rebuilt? If so, does anybody know who in the UK can do this?

Many thanks,
Rich.

Rich Oakley wrote:

Rich,i'd just send it to Peter Good and Volksgoods.
It'll come back like new,both Chris and i can vouch for this.
To be honest,i don't know how he does it for the price.It really isn't worth tackling it yourself.
Same applies for starter motors.
RoRoVw
14 years ago

Rich,i'd just send it to Peter Good and Volksgoods.
It'll come back like new,both Chris and i can vouch for this.
To be honest,i don't know how he does it for the price.It really isn't worth tackling it yourself.
Same applies for starter motors.

'50 Karmann wrote:

Definately seconded. Peter's the man for the job.
Rich Oakley
14 years ago
Thanks guys.

Spoke to Peter this evening. He is up to his eyeballs in work at the moment and I need to get the car sorted out pronto. However, he is sending me the bearings I need. I am very handy with with all sizes of hammers ranging from large heavy-industrial to 4lb lump hammers. I'm sure this dynamo will be no match for me and my extensive range of hammering tools.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
mooney3019
14 years ago
Hi
Rich

What were the dynamo bearings like to do ?

regards

chris
Rich Oakley
14 years ago

Hi
Rich

What were the dynamo bearings like to do ?

regards

chris

mooney3019 wrote:

Chris,

They are a piece of cake!

Rich.
mooney3019
14 years ago
great, order some bearings and brushes off Mr Goods, £9 posted excellent value, will have a go at mine at the weekend
Robb
12 years ago
so has anyone had a starter motor refurbed by Peter? how much does he charge?
Rich Oakley
12 years ago

so has anyone had a starter motor refurbed by Peter? how much does he charge?

Robb wrote:

He's not expensive, maybe £70-ish? But I spoke to him two weeks ago and he is not taking on any work at the moment. He does it as a kind of hobby.
Robb
12 years ago
cool, thanks for the info Rich. wasnt thinking of taking him my starter motor until sept anyway. 😎