pre67vw
  • pre67vw
  • Administration Topic Starter
14 years ago
So in this months volksworld there is a nice 50 split that has apparently divided the scene and the purists hate it?

Did I miss something? Doesn't appear to be very contraversial to me, just another lowered bug on Porsche wheels. What's all the fuss about?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
GKL 7
14 years ago
Scan a pic Rob,my subs have run out and WH Smiths is 5 mls away.
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
14 years ago
https://www.volksworld.com/magazine/latestissue.html 

polar opposites
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Standard split
14 years ago

So in this months volksworld there is a nice 50 split that has apparently divided the scene and the purists hate it?

Did I miss something? Doesn't appear to be very contraversial to me, just another lowered bug on Porsche wheels. What's all the fuss about?

pre67vw wrote:

The owner apparently cut the roof and fitted the sunroof from another car. He claims that the early sunroof cars (splits) started as regular production sedans in the factory without the sunroof opening, which was then cut in afterwards:? :?

He says that this therefore makes his altered car no different from any of those that left the factory.:!:

It's still another messed with split to me:(

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
GKL 7
14 years ago
Yeah-Yeah Boring,like we haven't seen it all before.
The '57 Oval resto looks very nice 'tho.
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
14 years ago

'50 Karmann wrote:

exactly my point, so how could this divide the 'scene' like no other car?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Standard split
14 years ago

pre67vw wrote:

Splits that have had their roofs cut off to create Heb or early cabrio replicas are the things that I despair :cry:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
Rich Oakley
14 years ago
I've not seen the Volksworld article yet as I can't find a copy over here in Sweden, so I'm not sure how much detail about the car's history is covered. From what I remember, it was imported from Sweden in 1994-ish (possibly by Richard Cotton?). Andy Parrot bought it and used it, MoT'd it and took it to a few shows. I saw it in 1995-ish and it was a very nice original car. Andy took it off the road and completely stripped it. He is a top metal-work guy and so all the repairs were carried out to perfect standards. He then decided to fit a 3-fold rag as he had a spare one. He then lost interest in the project and sold it on a few years later to Rich who has it now.

In my opinion, it's a very nicely executed car and the standard of the work is very high. It's just not my cup of tea though and I think it's a real shame that the 11G roof was grafted in to such a nice car.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
VW Stan
14 years ago

just another lowered bug on Porsche wheels. What's all the fuss about?

pre67vw wrote:

I always thought the point of 'customising' a car was to make it look different, not the same!

:wink:

It's hard to say what my girlfriend does for a living...

...She sells sea shells on the sea shore!
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
Well I´m outraged, incensed, disgusted and nauseated, but only because they fully polished the Fuchs. Oh the humanity! :lol:

Looks like a very nicely done show piece.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
mrsherbie
14 years ago
'50 Karmann wrote:

pre67vw wrote:

I thought exactly the same thing as you, another lowerdyfuchsd up split, but then to be honest I only read MP's page in WHSmiths as he makes me laugh and I like a little controversy :lol: but nothing else including the feature so I have no idea.
I didnt think AP chopped the roof though as I thought I remembered the car being for sale as a tintop? (but my memory is not good)
"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
mrsherbie
14 years ago

they fully polished the Fuchs. Oh the humanity! :lol:

JD wrote:

Thats the restocal formula, you have to stick exactly to the set rules of how to unimprove your car and make it look broken and turn really badly, like the others, or you will be outed.
UserPostedImage

Anyway, I heard a rumour your old beast is in the next issue so I suppose I will HAVE to break my rules and buy that one. thanks 😶 :lol:

Next month? although next month means April or May on the stupidity calendar that only Volksworld follows in their stupid rationality of how to look more 'up to date' than UltraVW :lol:

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
harveypj
14 years ago

So in this months volksworld there is a nice 50 split that has apparently divided the scene

pre67vw wrote:

Does this mean things are finaly starting to change?
A year or so ago there would have been no such divide, are people starting to realise the value of these old cars and that the very few that are left un messed with maybe aught to be preserved as such?

I'd be interested to know how many people have actualy said they hate it. I certainly would not mind it in my garage.
I suspect the divide is not that big just yet.....maybe just a crack.

Stock......the new custom
64rotbox
14 years ago
I doubt there is a great divide, it's just the feature writer trying to give substance to his 'opinionated bloke' back page ramblings. I'm sure he'll get a few more issues' worth out of the, erm... 'issue'.
You can call me Al.
Etzhold1
14 years ago

The owner apparently cut the roof and fitted the sunroof from another car. He claims that the early sunroof cars (splits) started as regular production sedans in the factory without the sunroof opening, which was then cut in afterwards:? :?

He says that this therefore makes his altered car no different from any of those that left the factory.:!:

It's still another messed with split to me:(

Standard split wrote:

Huh sounds almost like a second ratle trap story to me !!
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago

Huh sounds almost like a second ratle trap story to me !!

Etzhold1 wrote:

:lol: :lol: :beer:
UserPostedImage
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
14 years ago

I doubt there is a great divide, it's just the feature writer trying to give substance to his 'opinionated bloke' back page ramblings. I'm sure he'll get a few more issues' worth out of the, erm... 'issue'.

64rotbox wrote:

This is what I thought too, so the great divide is hyped by the person who is supposedly so against it... journalism at its best! :beer:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
14 years ago
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago

Anyway, I heard a rumour your old beast is in the next issue so I suppose I will HAVE to break my rules and buy that one. thanks 😶 :lol:

mrsherbie wrote:

Just for the centrefold of me, no doubt.:wink: :lol:

Could we not have a bit more moaning about the car on this thread please! We have our reputation to think of you know!!
UserPostedImage
Standard split
14 years ago

I didnt think AP chopped the roof though as I thought I remembered the car being for sale as a tintop? (but my memory is not good)

mrsherbie wrote:

As it says in Volksworld, the roof was done by the present owner:wink: