john_boy1959
14 years ago
As far as I can see, no one anywhere on the planet makes a stock 2 tip 36 hp muffler in stainless steel. I'm thinking of getting a few made and was wondering if anyone else out there was interested in this and might wish to register their interest? If you are my email address is [email protected]
Thanks John
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
That could be a plan. Be sure and read this before you start...Wolfgang1´s post near the bottom of the page.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=375343&start=20 

Short version is - normal repro mufflers are pretty poor due to the method of baffling them. If you make a stainless copy then be sure and faithfully copy the OEM unit internally. Hell, why not make a better performing exhaust - then I´ll definitely buy one!
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
john_boy1959
14 years ago
Dear JD thanks for the reply and Wolfgang if your reading this, thank-you too! This is obviously not going to happen overnight, however, I'll try and getmy nephew who is a mech eng to have a look at this and maybe we can get something happening in a few years. In the mean time, can you still get a stock VW muffler as recommended by Wolfgang or are they all aftermarket items now?
Many thanks
John
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
NOS VW mufflers turn up here in Germany now and again.
UserPostedImage
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago
:shock:

Memminger beat you to it - not especially bargainous though.

https://www.feinecabrio.de/cms/front_content.php?client=1&lang=1&idcat=28&idart=180&m=&s= 
UserPostedImage
GKL 7
14 years ago
Cor!! That's pricey:shock:
Standard split
14 years ago
I'll get a couple, so I'll have a spare:evil:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
14 years ago

Cor!! That's pricey:shock:

'50 Karmann wrote:

Thats Memminger for you. Selling "restored" (actually 95% brand new) cars to people who have the choice of spending their money on a new SLK or an "old" 1303 Cabrio may have given them a slightly distorted idea about what the typical enthusiast can afford. Fair play to them though - they sell some lovely cars and they´re car people all the way. I had a nice chat with them at the weekend at the Retro Classics show.
UserPostedImage
oval56
14 years ago
.... and the mufflers are a 100% reproduction of an stock vw muffler with all details beside the vw logo on side.

they sound like original ones.
www.oval56.de
www.oval56.com

DBK Germany