Delilah '62
13 years ago
We have a 1962 Beetle which had been converted to a Resto-Cal and we are turning it back to stock. She has 24000 miles on the clock and we have just put the original engine back in, so we are trying to do things right...

I am cleaning up the bumpers, the associated irons and brackets. Currently the non-chrome bits are painted silver, but I think this has been done by a previous owner. I intend to paint the 4 irons (which fix to the car) black, along with the brackets. The inside of the bumpers look like they were primer grey, although the chrome does overlap in some places. I don't think these are original...

Should the inside of the bumpers be gray, or black, and am I right to paint the associated brackets black?

Delilah. 1962 Beetle
24000 miles.... Nearly
(On FACEBOOK as Delilah Volkswagen)
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Robb
13 years ago
hi,

on a 62 bug, the insides of the bumpers and overiders should be silver, and the bumper irons and spacers should also be silver.

Earlier cars had their irons painted black.
54 Gertie
13 years ago

hi,

on a 62 bug, the insides of the bumpers and overiders should be silver, and the bumper irons and spacers should also be silver.

Earlier cars had their irons painted black.

Robb wrote:

I thought it was in '66 (August '65) that irons and hardware became silver?
William
Rich Oakley
13 years ago

I thought it was in '66 (August '65) that irons and hardware became silver?

54 Gertie wrote:

Yep, 62s should have black bumper irons and spacers. The rear of the bumpers should be a satin-like silver finish.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Robb
13 years ago
Are you sure Rich? I've had 2 original 62's, one I still own and they are all silver including the us spec support bars. The og paint on em before I re-powdercoated was silver.
Rich Oakley
13 years ago

Are you sure Rich? I've had 2 original 62's, one I still own and they are all silver including the us spec support bars. The og paint on em before I re-powdercoated was silver.

Robb wrote:

I'm getting old and my memory is not as good as it used to be, but I think all of the original UK early 60's cars had had black bumper hardware. As Will states above, I always thought it was 1967-only cars that had silver bumper hardware. Maybe US spec was different?
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
54 Gertie
13 years ago

I'm getting old and my memory is not as good as it used to be, but I think all of the original UK early 60's cars had had black bumper hardware. As Will states above, I always thought it was 1967-only cars that had silver bumper hardware. Maybe US spec was different?

Rich Oakley wrote:

I though it was '66 model cars as well? In fact i'd bet a fair wack on it. I know someone with a '66 1300 (made late '65) who has looked into it and came to the same conclusion.
William
54 Gertie
13 years ago
Here is a '62 model US car, pre restoration by Lenny Copp. Black irons.

UserPostedImage

Here is a restored '66 1300 with silver hardware, again, Lenny Copp.

UserPostedImage
William
Robb
13 years ago
[quote=54 Gertie]Here is a '62 model US car, pre restoration by Lenny Copp. Black irons.

UserPostedImage

and heres that same 62 bug after resto

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

i know Lenny gets his restos 100% correct

a 63

UserPostedImage

a 61

UserPostedImage

ive done some research and pre 61 was the black irons. so 61- were all silver 😎

pre67vw
13 years ago

UserPostedImage

Robb wrote:

off topic, but that cabrio is lovely! 😎
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
54 Gertie
13 years ago
Sorry Robb, ive got my ignorant head on today and im still sure it was August '65 :? :lol: But I know what you mean, Lenny's cars are normally perfect.

I'll have more of a look into it...The red car I posted looks to be original paint, un hit, so why would it have early (as you say) black painted irons?

UserPostedImage
William
Rich Oakley
13 years ago
Just been looking back through some old pics and you may be right Rob. I have some European press release pics for the '64 model and the irons are definitely silver.
Rich Oakley
13 years ago
Defeinitely- August 1960 onwards: silver (L91-Chrome).
54 Gertie
13 years ago

Defeinitely- August 1960 onwards: silver (L91-Chrome).

Rich Oakley wrote:

Hmmm - Well im glad it wasnt just me. :lol:
William
Robb
13 years ago
couldnt tell you much about other years but 62 & 67 are my field of expertise :lol:

had me doubting myself for a min though :lol:
54 Gertie
13 years ago

couldnt tell you much about other years but 62 & 67 are my field of expertise :lol:

had me doubting myself for a min though :lol:

Robb wrote:

I had better get the spray paint out then. :roll:

:lol:
William
Delilah '62
13 years ago
So, Silver (L91 - Chrome) is the colour... Thank you to everyone who took their time to reply.

I'll get some mixed at Halfords later today... Or should I get the parts powder coated?
Delilah. 1962 Beetle
24000 miles.... Nearly
Robb
13 years ago
powdercoat will make them last alot longer, painted bumper irons and spacers will soon rust, as when you are fitting them all back together the paint will chip off. been there, and now i powdercoat em. dont get the rusting problem, and mine were coated about 7 years ago.
Delilah '62
13 years ago
Thank you to everyone who sent us replies about such a minor detail... I had the irons and spacers powder coated in a light silver as the only other option was a dark silver with glittery flecks which were very prominent..

I have sprayed the inside of the bumpers and the over-riders with a VW Silver, but the colour is not quite right, so I haven't laquered it so I can respray them in the future.

All was reassembled and looking good for the Bromley Pageant last weekend...

Thanks again.  photo.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Delilah. 1962 Beetle
24000 miles.... Nearly
harveypj
13 years ago
Car looks great,
If you have problems matching the silver of your powder coated irons to the inside of the bumpers, renember you can paint over the powder coat.
Seems a bit daft I know, but you will retain the anti rust protection of the powder coat (so the process was not a waste of time or money, quite the opposite) and us the same paint that you do the bumpers with, thus a perfect match.
I had my wheels blasted and powder caoted in black, then keyed the face side with a grey scotch pad before painting in the correct colours (I used an acrylic paint).
Stock......the new custom