59 Ragtop
13 years ago

Just thought i'd offer a heads up to anyone in the market for a great Black 55 Oval. Its One Owner from new, 85000 Miles from New. Original Bill of sale,Beige Interior. Has a few dents,looks like it may be original paint. Its up for Auction 14th August, at Nigel Ward Auctions, Pontrilas Hereford. Sorry no link, however you can find it on www.Nigel- Ward.co.uk. Lets make sure an enthusiast gets it. I'd be after it myself if i had the readies:wink:
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
vintagebug
13 years ago
Looks very nice, and RHD too! Probably a very solid car for someone... :d One thing though- it's got twin tailpipes so maybe the rear apron has been replaced at some point?

Any idea of expected sale price from the auctioneers?
Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
55Kab
13 years ago
:shock:

Flippin 'ekk...I may have to bid on this :!: :lol:

I've made contact for some more detail but is there anyone close to the auction so we can get some photos of inner wings, under the bonnet, engine lid etc and have a general prod around?

55Kab
13 years ago
The DVLA man says it's a pre Aug-55 so that's nice and apparently it hasn't been on the road for 19 years!

The vehicle details for NCJ 51 are:

Date of Liability 01 07 1991
Date of First Registration 19 07 1955

Rich, do you know it?

tman
  • tman
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago

it's got twin tailpipes so maybe the rear apron has been replaced at some point?

vintagebug wrote:

I thought that too but they are pointed down at quite an angle, perhaps it's just got a later silencer?
Andrew
195x Deluxe oval Beetle
Binz Doublecab
Rich Oakley
13 years ago
That's a new one to me! WOW! Wonder how much that will go for?
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
59 Ragtop
13 years ago

The badge in the middle of the dash looks interesting.Anybody any ideas?
Rich Oakley
13 years ago

The badge in the middle of the dash looks interesting.Anybody any ideas?

59 Ragtop wrote:

I would hazzard a guess at the car being supplied by Bengry Brothers garage. Well known early VW dealer in Leominster/Hereford. Bill Bengry was a famous(ish) rally driver in the 50s/60s. The company still trades in Leominster to this day (now selling Mazdas and Fords).
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
59 Ragtop
13 years ago

If it is as you suggested,that should add interest making it a pretty unique car
mrsherbie
13 years ago

That's a new one to me! WOW! Wonder how much that will go for?

Rich Oakley wrote:

I am thinking what you are probably thinking, that plate could unfortunately push the sale above most potential vw owners, as the plate could eclipse the car value .
Very nice car though :d

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
Ovaltine
13 years ago
This has to be the better buy than the green one on the other thread, the other is not worth almost £9,000:!: Plus I've no faith with it being an ex Volksworld car feature car. Unpublicised hidden cars are usually nicer - they've been left alone.

This is the earlier more desireable of the two. But, I thought this should still have the button start :?

The way to end a good day out with your Split is with an Ovaltine!
GKL 7
13 years ago

But, I thought this should still have the button start :?

Ovaltine wrote:

It is correct not to have the start button.
55Kab
13 years ago

This has to be the better buy than the green one on the other thread, the other is not worth almost £9,000:!:

Ovaltine wrote:

That's an understatement...

If this is truely a one owner car, with genuine milage and all his history, then given it's a batwing, ribbed door, heart light RHD UK car with its original plate, it's in a totally diffent league to that green 57.

I really may have a crack at this one. Out of interest, are there any other seriously interested parties on here? (excluding you Rich!!!).

I've requested pics of engine, under bonnet, rear seat, headliner, inner wings and undersides but nothing yet.

GKL 7
13 years ago

That's an understatement...

If this is truely a one owner car, with genuine milage and all his history, then given it's a batwing, ribbed door, heart light RHD UK car with its original plate, it's in a totally diffent league to that green 57.

I really may have a crack at this one. Out of interest, are there any other seriously interested parties on here? (excluding you Rich!!!).

I've requested pics of engine, under bonnet, rear seat, headliner, inner wings and undersides but nothing yet.

55Kab wrote:

Share those please Martin.
(Might be pointing out the obvious but don't forget the 11.75% buyers premium.)
55Kab
13 years ago

Share those please Martin.
(Might be pointing out the obvious but don't forget the 11.75% buyers premium.)

'50 Karmann wrote:

Will do. Maybe the buyers permium will put some people off?

GKL 7
13 years ago

Will do. Maybe the buyers permium will put some people off?

55Kab wrote:

Won't there be VAT as well ???
Rich Oakley
13 years ago

Won't there be VAT as well ???

'50 Karmann wrote:

No. Only VAT on the 10% buyers fee (making it 11.75% of the final price).
w7cal
13 years ago
dinsdale
13 years ago
Looks good. Likely original engine with an interesting pre-heat modification. It will need an inspection in person to see if there are any rust nasties but the bits that are visible look OK.

I'd almost like to buy it as a guide to what mine should look like :)

Pete
'54 Beetle with Okrasa