Kev
  • Kev
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago

You speak a lot of truth, of course it is in my interest for Vintage VWs to remain in the public eye and for interest in them to continue.
However... This doesn't allow me to open my wallet and get what I want. If only!!
Years and years of hard work, ducking and diving, saving and a very understanding bank manager is what it takes.
I've always been into Vintage VWs, and owned plenty from Ovals, Lowlights and many stock 60's six volters along with a lovely Crew Cab and a stock 21 window.
20 years ago, I couldn't have even dreamed that one day I'd own the car being discussed here. But I've made it happen for myself and I'm over the moon.
I knew the car before it was restored, I made sure it was featured in 1998 and I ALWAYS dreamed of owning it. Ask Sean how many times I told him I'd love to own it over the years.
I kept it quiet about owning it, as I know there's a large element of our little world that would immediately think 'cheque book' and obviously, I didn't want to be tarred with that brush.
I've always been admired people with really lovely VWs - especially a Rometsch, Heb or Schwimmer, but I don't look at them and think they own them because they haven't earned the right. I'd rather see someone who has gone all out to own the car of their dreams and for it to be a VW. I'll never point a negative finger in their direction.
Oh, and by the way - Last Truimph's thread is cool - I am sure I commented as such on the thread. And, as I have said earlier in this thread, after 8 years in a lock-up, the Kab shared many of the same problems. And much though I tried, I couldn't get it back on the road in time for Peppercorn!

Thanks for the kind words.

Ivan wrote:

I don't think you need to justify yourself to anyone, does Ovaltine even know you ?

Getting back on topic - any pics of the car before resto you want to share ?

mrsherbie
13 years ago
Congrats what a great car.

Be nice to see it not get cal-plebbed.

"not enough vintage vws attend action"

There are 2 obvious answers to that one, one starts with Brian and the other ends in Pod :lol:

To everyone else from me, dont forget that stock does'nt come any more honest and less turncoat than Standard Split and Ovaltine, and they have been around vws longer than the majority and this is a stock forum so they are entitled to their opinion as much as the rest of us in my view.

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
54 Gertie
13 years ago

Congrats what a great car.

Be nice to see it not get cal-plebbed?

"not enough vintage vws attend action"

There are 2 obvious answers to that one, one starts with Brian and the other ends in Pod :lol:

To everyone else from me, dont forget that stock does'nt come any more honest and less turncoat than Standard Split and Ovaltine, and this is a stock forum so they are entitled to their opinion as much as the rest of us.

mrsherbie wrote:

Cal-plebbed. :lol:

Anyway, having been to this years Action I can safely say it is a good show. And that's coming from someone who's favourite shows are Lavenham, Peppercorn, H.O. etc....

I used to hear all the stories about people breaking into tents and yobs in transits at Bug Jam and the like, but this seemed to be a completely different type of show. Very relaxed, with some very nice (some stock, some modified) cars on display.

William
GKL 7
13 years ago

I used to hear all the stories about people breaking into tents

54 Gertie wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Skilled work that is,master burglary.
54 Gertie
13 years ago

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Skilled work that is,master burglary.

'50 Karmann wrote:

I should have said 'People breaking into S**tscreens'. :wink:

William
55Kab
13 years ago

I've witnessed Ivan in this hobby for years,tho' we only really met a few years ago.I am embarrassed by your comments Ovaltine. Totally out of order.

'50 Karmann wrote:

Have to agree with you on that.

As the saying goes...if you've got nothing nice to say, don't say it at all...
64rotbox
13 years ago

Totally out of order.

'50 Karmann wrote:

Perhaps he's gearing up to become a moderator on ***.

I kept it quiet about owning it, as I know there's a large element of our little world that would immediately think 'cheque book' and obviously, I didn't want to be tarred with that brush.

Ivan wrote:

Sod 'em. However, it's those sorts of people who ensure that - despite all the plus points - I'd never, ever want your job.

Right. Anyone got a tissue so I can wipe my nose?
You can call me Al.
RockStock
13 years ago
congratulations Ivan:beer: . hope to see the kab at REME
StockRocks
48REME
13 years ago

You must be Standardsplit in disguise.Let's hope you go the same way.

I've witnessed Ivan in this hobby for years,tho' we only really met a few years ago.I am embarrassed by your comments Ovaltine. Totally out of order.

'50 Karmann wrote:

I totally agree...what a sad, creepy little jealous nerd. It's people like this which puts me off participating in this forum anymore.
I say, Ivan have fun with your beautiful new toy and drive with the hood down with a big smile on your face!
mrsherbie
13 years ago
I know :idea:
Lets ostracize 2 REAL GENUINE stock enthusiasts and regular long term contributors to this forum, (standard split & Ovaltine) over a guy who never posts here as he spends all his time playing cal look, but just because he has now bought a special stock car is your new best buddy! :roll: :lol:

"it'll wreck the patina you haven't worked so hard to create" - 50Karmann
64rotbox
13 years ago
I know. :idea:
Why don't we get an ignore function on here? *stupid icon stupid icon stupid icon*
You can call me Al.
pre67vw
13 years ago

It's people like this which puts me off participating in this forum anymore.

48REME wrote:

Me to...

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
13 years ago

Lets ostracize 2 REAL GENUINE stock enthusiasts and regular long term contributors to this forum, (standard split & Ovaltine) over a guy who never posts here as he spends all his time playing cal look, but just because he has now bought a special stock car is your new best buddy! :roll: :lol:

mrsherbie wrote:

Sounds like a plan to me.:lol:

I don´t get the whole "chequebook" thing BTW. It´s not like they give these cars away. Any time you see one, you know it´s cost someone a lot of money (or they bought it in 1971). So what? It´s the same for any classic cars - it´s not a poor mans hobby.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
OOC
13 years ago

I totally agree...what a sad, creepy little jealous nerd. It's people like this which puts me off participating in this forum anymore.
I say, Ivan have fun with your beautiful new toy and drive with the hood down with a big smile on your face!

48REME wrote:

well said Nicolas :wink:

that's why we don't post, we would rather play with our toys than talk B****cks :roll:

pre67vw
13 years ago

that's why we don't post

OOC wrote:

ha! But you just did 😎 :twisted:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
dp
  • dp
  • Regular
13 years ago

mrsherbie wrote:

The problem is that while they may have a lot of knowledge and are passionate about the stock side of the hobby, they're actions only serve to reduce outside interest in it, and reduce participation from others who already have an interest in it.

Back on topic:
Having dug out the original Volksworld feature (from an issue where the feature cars were all stock), something I didn't remember was the car had nodding semaphores. I'm sure I've read that semaphores that 'nod' are from emergency vehicles - is this true, and does that mean the semaphores on this car are from an emergency services split or early oval cab?
Ovaltine
13 years ago
What a lot of pathetic rubbish has now flooded into this thread.

The one sensible response is from the guy himself, Ivan. He acknowledges my observations, no nastyness or rubbish remarks. I take my hat off to his professionalism. It is his livelihood, and he agrees that it is in his personal interest to promote our hobby. Okay the wallet remark may be a little harsh as he has to earn his money (nice way to do it though!), but he is fortunate nonetheless. Some however do just seem to get what they want then act the big I am on these forums, thinking they are the top of the tree. My first ever post on pre67vw regarding 'Standard Tw*t' on the Rattletrap thread is an example.

It is obvious that outside his job that Ivan loves old VWs, although I'd not consider him a regular stock purist with originality, though this new car is a collector's gem. I cant but wonder if he has a set of earlies waiting in his garage though.:wink:

To the people that have said that they won't normally post on the forums because of whatever, well left to you there would be no forums.

Adult sensible discussion, some strong disagreements too, I dislike crawlers myself though many here indulge in that activity.

mrsherbie wrote:

MrsHerbie is a person I'd love to meet at a VW show, a rare person here – talks sense.:beer:

48REME wrote:

Not worth a sensible comment:roll:

You must be Standardsplit in disguise.Let's hope you go the same way.

'50 Karmann wrote:

As for this guy, sounds like his garden should be excavated :shock:

The way to end a good day out with your Split is with an Ovaltine!
Sunroof53
13 years ago
What issue was the kab featured in when Sean geddes restored it?
GKL 7
13 years ago

mrsherbie wrote:

That's the first time, Anna, i have seen you post total crap.Take offence if you must. Stop and think, a magazine needs to sell big numbers to survive,
and if this enables Volksworld to then bring us some stock news and features then this is the price that must be paid.It's all about numbers.And unfortunately stock lovers are in the minority.

Sorry,but you are defending an unknown,that prefares to remain anon,a keyboard gangsta who hides away making offensive posts.But not every one is all bad,apparently he's coming round to do my garden for me:roll:

lou cypher
13 years ago
Hey George when he's finished yours send him over here :wink:

our gardens could do with a tidy up :lol: