55Kab
  • 55Kab
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
13 years ago
Here's a test for you.

What colour should the inside of a 55 standard 5-stud solid wheel be?

a) body colour
b) ivory colour (part next to hubcap)
c) black

*EDIT* this is not a trick question. I need to know for painting! :wink:

Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
pre67vw
13 years ago
Chrome? :lol:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
54 Gertie
13 years ago
I think I'm right in saying that the wheels were, black, then the outer colours were applied. So the back should be black, but with some slight overspray from where they didn't bother to mask up. I think Peter (Harveypj) talked about this in his '58's thread.
William
GKL 7
13 years ago
Also didn't they find when restoring Charley O's car they could be ordered from Karmann with all Black wheels?
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago
I don´t know, but watch out - if you want it accurate, then don´t paint the centre part of the wheel X and the rim Y - the split in the colour is actually on the rim so the join doesn´t show behind the ally beauty rings.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
55Kab
  • 55Kab
13 years ago

Also didn't they find when restoring Charley O's car they could be ordered from Karmann with all Black wheels?

'50 Karmann wrote:

Correct. I think black wheels were an option.

55Kab
  • 55Kab
13 years ago

I don´t know, but watch out - if you want it accurate, then don´t paint the centre part of the wheel X and the rim Y - the split in the colour is actually on the rim so the join doesn´t show behind the ally beauty rings.

JD wrote:

Not sure I understand you. Photo?

I always thought the split in the colour is where the centre part and outer part (rim) come together, I've never seen a stock wheel painted any other way... :?

JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago

Not sure I understand you. Photo?

I always thought the split in the colour is where the centre part and outer part (rim) come together, I've never seen a stock wheel painted any other way... :?

55Kab wrote:

Neither had I, but on my unrepainted 1958 wheels, the split in paint colours is moved out about half and inch so that it´s underneath the beauty rings. I think it must be a Karmann only thing, as they were the only cars with beauty rings as stock.

Here´s an old pic - hope you can make out what I mean.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
55Kab
  • 55Kab
13 years ago

Neither had I, but on my unrepainted 1958 wheels, the split in paint colours is moved out about half and inch so that it´s underneath the beauty rings. I think it must be a Karmann only thing, as they were the only cars with beauty rings as stock.

Here´s an old pic - hope you can make out what I mean.

UserPostedImage

JD wrote:

See what you mean now James but I really don't think that's factory. Can anyone else comment?

JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago

See what you mean now James but I really don't think that's factory. Can anyone else comment?

55Kab wrote:

It´s the original paint Martin - it really truly is! All four wheels are the same and there is no paint underneath whats on there. I´ll get a better photo for you when I get the car back. I saw a Karmann Ghia at Hessisch with the same thing.
Of course, we don´t know if they were like that in `55.
UserPostedImage
55Kab
  • 55Kab
13 years ago
Is there anyone else that can comment on the inside colour of early wheels?

JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago
You know I´m right.:lol:
UserPostedImage
harveypj
13 years ago

I think I'm right in saying that the wheels were, black, then the outer colours were applied. So the back should be black, but with some slight overspray from where they didn't bother to mask up. I think Peter (Harveypj) talked about this in his '58's thread.

54 Gertie wrote:

Yes, thats right Will.
Mine were defenatly black on the inside as from factory, the face side was painted over what was origanaly an all black wheel.

Karmann had their own paint schemes so I'd imagine they ordered in plain black wheels and then paint them in their own paint shop, so its more than feasable that they adapted the colour boundaries to suit the trim that would be fitted to the rim as JD believes. Could not say for sure though?
Stock......the new custom
54 Gertie
13 years ago
I can get you a few detailed photos of an original paint '55 hardtop wheel tomorrow if you like, not that it's like James is describing, it seems to just be like what you'd imagine a 'normal' beetle wheel to be like.

This 'Life' photo of a '54 Kab, I think, shows what is just a normal Beetle wheel?

[img]https://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/6be3674f8369bb46_large[/img]

UserPostedImage
William
54 Gertie
13 years ago
Here's a '54 hardtop from the same 'shoot'. To me, they look identical.

[img]https://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/e2d3907cef0a3c74_large[/img]

UserPostedImage

Maybe they changed it on later Kabs, James? :wink:
William
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago
So what we really need to find out is when the beauty rings were introduced.

Like I said up there, just because they were like that in 58, doesn´t mean they were like that in 55.
UserPostedImage
54 Gertie
13 years ago

So what we really need to find out is when the beauty rings were introduced.

Like I said up there, just because they were like that in 58, doesn´t mean they were like that in 55.

JD wrote:

No mention of anything relating to wheel trims or paint in Progressive Refinements.

Did all Kabs come with wheel trims past a certain date? Or were they just an option?
William
54 Gertie
13 years ago
Photo taken Aug '51, it is a Kab, and I know it doesn't help whatsoever. :lol:

[img]https://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/7a61e57026a0d58d_landing[/img]
William
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago

No mention of anything relating to wheel trims or paint in Progressive Refinements.

Did all Kabs come with wheel trims past a certain date? Or were they just an option?

54 Gertie wrote:

Kabs do get left out of progressive refinement discussions quite a lot!

Thats what I´m wondering about the trims. Mine must have had them from new, otherwise there is just no explanation for that paint layout. So when were they introduced? Gotta go and do some digging.
UserPostedImage
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago
This shows a KG with the rings in 1955/56.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=632844 

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/624107.jpg 
UserPostedImage