Sunroof53
13 years ago
I have recently started some work on my 1953 Sunroof beetle but thought i would start the thread with photos of the first restoration done by Steve Parker back in 1989.Steve told me he bought the car after seeing an Autotrader ad .The car had been layed up since the 70s but didnt know much more .I did find out that the car was first registered by a Mr Harris in Cheshire with the original reg of TFM 794.

Please remember that back in the 80s panels for early cars were difficult to find and without the internet for reference there were few rescources available .I think Steve did a great job of restoring this car to stock especially as most people at the time were cal looking anything they could get there hands on.(me included).

I have scanned some of his resto photos before i start mine as a bit of background to the car.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
55Kab
13 years ago
^^^ Nice photos Mike, tks for posting. Didn't realise the body was as bad as that!

So what's next? Any chance of getting the OG plate back?

Sunroof53
13 years ago
I did meet Steve at Stanford over a year ago and he has the nunber on his subaru .He did mention selling it but it was too much .I would like it of course although i dont consider the reg number being an original part to any car .
Like so many UK cars its no stranger to filler as the next pictures will show .Good thing is the filler has preserved it quite well .I have only started stripping back a few suspect places but i will let the pics do the talking.I,ll post later as i am bidding on a new grinder .Last one blew up when i was using a wire wheel to strip back the filler :roll:
69project
13 years ago
looking forward to this thread....
Car less.....
Last Triumph
13 years ago
Great stuff - will be watching with interest! 😎
I can supply...
25/36hp Crank-Flywheel shims - 3 sizes
NOS king pin thrust & fibre washers - all sizes
Cloth braided nitrile fuel hose safe for modern fuels
PM me for details...
Sunroof53
13 years ago
I had a few hours to spare over the holiday and decided to assess the front end .I had noticed a few bubbles and lumps and i was expecting some remedial rust repairs .After owning many VWs i have learned to expect the worst and anything better is a bonus as the next photos show .Anyone who has seen my car maybe surprised .

I started looking at the front quarter and stripped back heaps of filler.
UserPostedImage

Not looking too good
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

And the lower repair panel removed.Looks like i'll be starting this from the ground up..But at least some of the original panel is there .
UserPostedImage
Sunroof53
13 years ago
Moving onto the front valence and spare wheel well its the same story.
UserPostedImage

And with filler and patch removed
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage

Here is a comparison of the original valance from the first restoration and you can see that the top part of the original four finger valence still remained underneath the replacment panel.
From first restoration.UserPostedImage

Valence cut off to reveal its still there
UserPostedImage

Lots of work ahead and think Stanford hall maybe of the cards this year 😞

Sunroof53
13 years ago
Once the valence had been removed i noticed some over smooth areas above the spare wheel tray.I used the wire wheel to remove most of the filler and underneath was what appears to be an attempt to chisel a panel off.This must have been left and just covered in filler as the pictures show.
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

No worries though ,it will all be sorted :d

I am hoping someone can help me find a rhs front quarter or parts of to help get the old girl back to some kind of condition.I am looking at wolfs for the front valence and wheel well panel.

Thanks

Mike

GKL 7
13 years ago
:shock: Sad discoveries Mike,but i'm sure the car is in capable hands and you'll sort it for the better.
Sunroof53
13 years ago

:shock: Sad discoveries Mike,but i'm sure the car is in capable hands and you'll sort it for the better.

'50 Karmann wrote:

Thanks ,i will certainly give it my best.I have to say i was reluctant to post this restoration as it can label a car and of course did i really want everyone to see the bad bits?especially as it appeared to be a good original car.Anyway i decided it doesnt matter and i think it would be a nice contrast to LTs super clean 57.

Mike

69project
13 years ago

Thanks ,i will certainly give it my best.I have to say i was reluctant to post this restoration as it can label a car and of course did i really want everyone to see the bad bits?especially as it appeared to be a good original car.Anyway i decided it doesnt matter and i think it would be a nice contrast to LTs super clean 57.

Mike

Sunroof53 wrote:

i wouldnt stress,for most of the restos ive read abt from the late 80s filler was everybodys friend.some years on we all see early cars as much more precious and want to do a factory correct job,this will gain much more admirers than simply ignoring any issues

its nice to have such a good set of photos to look back on,at least you know what areas to start on first by browsing pics as you have done :wink:

si
Car less.....
Sunroof53
13 years ago
It certaily is useful having the photos so it wasnt too much of a surprise as the photos didnt tally with what was under the car.I initially started it because i had bought a 4 tab bonnet which wouldnt fit because the front apron had been welded in to match the repro bonnet that was used at the time.I have had a good few years driving it and going to a few shows and still have my 66 to drive for the summer.

Mike.

Rich Oakley
13 years ago
UserPostedImage

GASH!

That's a seriously bad bodge!! Glad it's in good hands and I for one, really look forward to seeing this rare RHD restored properly.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Kids taxi
13 years ago
Great work Mike and please keep us all updated . Its good to see a Uk getting a through restoration as most people today Just get on the internet and purchase less of a challenge 😎

KT
Im too Old for This
Sunroof53
13 years ago

Great work Mike and please keep us all updated . Its good to see a Uk getting a through restoration as most people today Just get on the internet and purchase less of a challenge 😎

KT

Kids taxi wrote:

Thanks ,i am still at the panel collecting stage so progress is slow .I have removed some of the interior and things on the left hand side are looking a lot brighter .
Photos show that most of the inner hearter channel (L/H)is original,though i have'nt started with the wire wheel on this side .
Looks like the rear quarter repair was attached without cutting anything away before hand so this could be a plus.
There is even some factory chalk marks and original paint :d :wink:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Here is my 66 which i will be using while this summer.Slightly bending the rules but if you can post a Marcos i guess this is ok :wink:

UserPostedImage
Rattletrap
13 years ago

Here is my 66 which i will be using while this summer.Slightly bending the rules but if you can post a Marcos i guess this is ok :wink:

Sunroof53 wrote:

Whass a Marcos:oops:
Your '66 looks neat though:wink:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
Sunroof53
13 years ago

Whass a Marcos:oops:
Your '66 looks neat though:wink:

Rattletrap wrote:

Take a look at LTs thread and you will what i mean :d

https://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=17530&p=40 
Rattletrap
13 years ago

Take a look at LTs thread and you will what i mean :d

Sunroof53 wrote:

Ooerr.... I think I prefer Last Triumph's present car.

Even Rob's bemused.....

odd looking VW :?

pre67vw wrote:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
Sunroof53
13 years ago

Ooerr.... I think I prefer Last Triumph's present car.

Even Rob's bemused.....

Rattletrap wrote:

Me to ,looks like a 70s kit car but each to there own i suppose .
Rattletrap
13 years ago

Me to ,looks like a 70s kit car but each to there own i suppose .

Sunroof53 wrote:

All part of Last Triumph's learning curve of getting into really nice old Beetles – he's forgiven :lol: