pre67vw
2011-01-15T14:24:07Z
I've always had a bit of a softspot for them even when everyone else thought they were ugly, but now I'm starting to like them even more...

UserPostedImage

:thumbup:

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Sponsor


(Register and log-in to hide thread adverts)
GKL 7
2011-01-15T16:33:43Z
My father used to have one,they are a good car.
54 Gertie
2011-01-15T16:36:04Z
I assume underneath they are basically a Type 3? Much like a 'normal' KG is just a wide beetle?


William
JD
  •  JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
2011-01-15T17:48:10Z
54 Gertie wrote:

I assume underneath they are basically a Type 3? Much like a 'normal' KG is just a wide beetle?



I believe they are identical floorpans to run of the mill type threes.

I like them too. I´d love to have one, but the trouble is they even make normal Karmann Ghias look rust resistant. Where would you ever find a good one?

In the book "VW treasures by Karmann" there s a design sketch of an alternative front end treatment that looks a whole lot better than what they actually used. The headlights are close together and the swage lines don´t roll around under the nose - they meet in the middle. The car looks like its frowning. Very moody!:x
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
55Kab
2011-01-15T17:55:59Z
pre67vw wrote:

I've always had a bit of a softspot for them even when everyone else thought they were ugly, but now I'm starting to like them even more...



100% with you on that Rob. To the extent I'm thinking of buying one as a next project.


55Kab attached the following image(s):
55Kab
2011-01-15T17:57:18Z
Originally Posted by: ' 

My father used to have one,they are a good car.



Got any pics?

55Kab
2011-01-15T17:59:37Z
JD wrote:

I believe they are identical floorpans to run of the mill type threes



Correct. Under pinnings are stock T3.

JD wrote:

Where would you ever find a good one?



Look and you shall find!

http://cgi.ebay.com/1964...&hash=item588361e0a3 

GKL 7
2011-01-15T18:06:07Z
55Kab wrote:

Got any pics?



Once again,sorry Martin.
I think it was a sixty4.The reg was either LOU 236 OR 236 LOU(no suffix for some reason).It was on the front of an old VW Motoring.They are a very nice car,smooth ride,1500 twin carb.As mentioned all type 3 running gear and chassis.I was well impressed.But as also stated they liked to rot.
GKL 7
2011-01-15T18:08:52Z
55Kab wrote:


Look and you shall find!

http://cgi.ebay.com/1964...&hash=item588361e0a3 



Blimey,they've gone up in price.
Think ours cost us £600.I know,it was an age ago:oops:
RockStock
2011-01-15T18:21:22Z
completely underrated & overlooked!
who's going to the 50th?
flat caps look good on that silver one
have T3D done a razor? need to
StockRocks
pre67vw
2011-01-16T11:33:06Z
RockStock wrote:


who's going to the 50th?



50th what?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Rich Oakley
2011-01-16T12:58:32Z
pre67vw wrote:

50th what?



50 years of the Type 3.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
55Kab
2011-01-16T13:01:21Z
pre67vw wrote:

50th what?



50th anniversary of the T34 Ghia

http://www.50-jahre-typ-...ws/article.php?storyid=3 

55Kab
2011-01-16T13:03:37Z
Originally Posted by: ' 

It was on the front of an old VW Motoring



Got any idea month/year?

I've got most of them here so will look it out and post it up.

55Kab
2011-01-16T13:06:02Z
RockStock wrote:

have T3D done a razor? need to



Not sure about that Chris, it would end up looking all silly low on 17" Fuch replica's :!: :thumbup:

Kids taxi
2011-01-16T16:34:12Z
RockStock wrote:


have T3D done a razor? need to




Lets hope not, as it will end up being white with a red interior, like someone has been murdered in it and as Martin has pointed out some bloody awful crappy 17' wheels 😳 😳 😳

Im too Old for This
GKL 7
2011-01-16T17:14:11Z
55Kab wrote:

Got any idea month/year?

I've got most of them here so will look it out and post it up.




25 years ago approx,you lose track of time when you get old.Thought you knew that:p
I was thinking, bet that number plates gone,you'd swear it was the car on your ebay link Martin,dead ringer.
55Kab
2011-01-16T18:40:20Z
Originally Posted by: ' 

25 years ago approx,you lose track of time when you get old.Thought you knew that:p
I was thinking, bet that number plates gone,you'd swear it was the car on your ebay link Martin,dead ringer.



Found it. June 1982.

Inside cover says "Seen with his 1964 Type 3 Karmann Ghia is Somerset reader Graham Thompson."

DVLA check on the plate doesn't bring up anything so perhaps the plate was sold and the car reregistered on a DVLA B issue. Perhaps it really is the same car as the one on ebay...

55Kab attached the following image(s):
GKL 7
2011-01-16T18:49:42Z
55Kab wrote:

Found it. June 1982.

Inside cover says "Seen with his 1964 Type 3 Karmann Ghia is Somerset reader Graham Thompson."




That's the guy we purchased it from,we picked the car up in Yeovil.
Think it was a set up,with Robin Wager.They knew each other and the car was advertised for sale the following month(after the cover issue).
55Kab
2011-01-16T19:02:11Z
Originally Posted by: ' 

That's the guy we purchased it from,we picked the car up in Yeovil.
Think it was a set up,with Robin Wager.They knew each other and the car was advertised for sale the following month(after the cover issue).



Interesting. When did you sell it George? Fancy trying to track it down?

HPI check doesn't throw the plate up on another car so it would be interesting to know what happened to it. Looks a good one.