GKL 7
13 years ago
Sold it in about '87 Martin.
Remember a guy turning up from the smoke and taking it home with him.
Lets say it photographed well:wink:
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago
There´s a Typ 34 in a current German TV ad for ARAL petrol.
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
55Kab
13 years ago
😎

188777.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
lifeintheslowlane
13 years ago

8)
UserPostedImage

55Kab wrote:

It's one of the only aircooled VWs looks that are improved with a little judicious lowering, in my very unhumble opinion.:wink:

John.
Rich Oakley
13 years ago

I've always had a bit of a softspot for them even when everyone else thought they were ugly, but now I'm starting to like them even more...

:thumbup:

pre67vw wrote:

Isn't it funny how things change. I would have to agree with you Rob, I'm starting to like them more and more. Next step for you- Type 3 ownership? You know you love my Fastback :wink:
UserPostedImage
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
  • Administration Topic Starter
13 years ago

Next step for you- Type 3 ownership? You know you love my Fastback :wink:

Rich Oakley wrote:

I do, I had a 72 squareback 20 odd years ago and loved it - although always preferred the earlier styling. I was a student with no money, bought it for £60 but couldn't pay it all in one go, so I arranged 3 payments of £20. :d It's great how you get a boot up front because the engine is in the back, then people look in the back and there's a boot back there as well... :shock:

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
GKL 7
13 years ago
Hmmm,they do look nice lowered  2750196051_aee620be92.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  Ni_s_Razor-Edge_Type_34_Karmann_Ghia.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
13 years ago

Hmmm,they do look nice lowered

'50 Karmann wrote:

They do look sleeker/faster a little lower, but I don't like how the rear wheels camber.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago
I know a German guy who used to work for Oettinger. In the early eighties he put a 2.7 Porsche six into a Notchback (the car is still going strong with around 190hp). Later, him and another guy did the same conversion on a Typ34 Ghia, but it was sold before it was completed to a guy who had a Porsche Turbo engine and an early short cased five speed box to put in it. AFAIK, it was never completed. Breaks my heart to think it sitting in a garage somewhere. Would have been all kinds of fun trying to put 330hp through 185 tyres!:shock:
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
13 years ago
https://www.classiccars.co.uk/volkswagen/karmann_ghia/advert/9882 

is this right?

with only 124 left in the UK and 1225 left in the WORLD

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
lifeintheslowlane
13 years ago

They do look sleeker/faster a little lower, but I don't like how the rear wheels camber.

pre67vw wrote:

That's where the difference between "judicious lowering" and "slamming" lies. To me a slammed car looks like it weighs 5 tons and has an invisible Elephant sitting on it...I just don't get it.
John.
Rattletrap
13 years ago

I've always had a bit of a softspot for them even when everyone else thought they were ugly, but now I'm starting to like them even more...

pre67vw wrote:

Back in the late 1970's I was a happy 17-year-old driving around in my '51 Standard split 349 GMO and '53 Standard oval, LOW 514, (only paid a few hundred pounds for each car). Everyone but everyone used to tell me the Beetle was ugly. I began to think I was odd because I thought they were great to look at.:unsure:

How things move on.:d

I'm not a Ghia fan, but it would be the razor edge for me.:mellow:
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
GKL 7
13 years ago

I'm not a Ghia fan, but it would be the razor edge for me.:mellow:

Rattletrap wrote:

Funny you should say that John,when my father bought the type 34,i was totally mythed why he hadn't purchased a type 1 KG.
The type 3 i must say was of a higher spec,with even an electric sunroof available.
His 64 was still 6 volt,i dare say by the time the roof had opened it would have turned dark:wink:

I checked in the Garage and there in a box was an NOS front and rear badge for the type 3 ghia,purchased to fit,then we sold the car.Give me a shout Rob when you've got your hands on one.
Rattletrap
13 years ago

Funny you should say that John,when my father bought the type 34,i was totally mythed why he hadn't purchased a type 1 KG...

'50 Karmann wrote:

It's odd isn't it:?:

The 'Razor Edge' Ghia is everything the Beetle isn't, crisp sharp straight lines, huge window area, elegant structure, form and detailing – but I like it. :shock:

Time has been kind to the 'Razor Edge'. :unsure:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
GKL 7
13 years ago

Time has been kind to the 'Razor Edge'. :unsure:

Rattletrap wrote:

I certainly think it was years ahead of it's time.
 rsz_sta70142.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rattletrap
13 years ago

I certainly think it was years ahead of it's time.

'50 Karmann wrote:

Exactly George. It was just too early… the more conservative buyers 'felt more comfortable' with the old shape and the 'Razor Edge' was killed off.:o

pre67vw
  • pre67vw
13 years ago
I have to confess that I'm not too knowledgeable about year changes to the Razor, but presumably they followed the other models and moved from wide five wheels to the later 4 style - are there any other styling changes?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
13 years ago

Give me a shout Rob when you've got your hands on one.

'50 Karmann wrote:

Even Razors are too expensive for me now... let me know if you find a cheap project anywhere... :thumbup:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
GKL 7
13 years ago

Even Razors are too expensive for me now...

pre67vw wrote:

They reckon that's what killed the Razor in the first place Rob.
High production costs made the car too expensive in the days market,so Karmann pulled it and replaced it with the 914:omg:
 1963_VW_Karmann_Ghia_Type_34_For_Sale_Front_1.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  1971-porsche-914-pic-4200.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
pp
  • pp
13 years ago
Finally pre67vw has found the way to the T34, nice :thumbup:

For those who want to learn about these 'unknown' Volkswagen, here's the link to the brand new T34 World Organization:

www.T34world.com 

Enjoy :smile:

www.ppress.be  - Classic Car Photography