pmono
  • pmono
  • Regular Topic Starter
13 years ago
hi
ive got a setember 1957 standard rhd big rear window beetle.
Can anyone tell me where if it should have had a wiper washer motor etc. The car does not have one and im going to put it in for an mot soon. I want to keep it original and will only fit one if i have to.

This is a very early standard beetle(first of the big windows) and it is very basic. I find it really hard to find info about standard beetles so any pointers in the right direction would be great.
thanks everyone !
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
54 Gertie
13 years ago
UK RHD Small window standard 'eh?

VERY rare. Under five remaining I think?

As far as washers go it wouldn't have had them from new, but some did have them as a dealer accessory.

You do need some form of washing the windscreen on the move however for a UK MOT.

I've heard of lots of people getting by and passing with just a Fairy liquid bottle with 'Washers' written on the side, full of water and left on the passenger seat.

Be sure to go to a 'classic' friendly garage and I'm sure you'll get a pass, with no cutting or drilling. 🙂
William
69project
13 years ago
only have to have one if it came like it as new,so if there are no holes i wouldnt bother...if it maybe has just one hole i used an aged rubber grommet on 51

otherwise there are lots of cheap washer kits available,i have one you can have that is new and basic for the price of having a look at your 57!.otherwise a nice swf pump and bottle would be suitable but pricey,my spare of these has a perished internal rubber so be careful when buying

also like enfo says,go to a friendly garage...always helps

si

Car less.....
Rattletrap
13 years ago

I've heard of lots of people getting by and passing with just a Fairy liquid bottle with 'Washers' written on the side, full of water and left on the passenger seat.

54 Gertie wrote:

Yep, I rig mine up with a hand soap dispenser and plastic lines coming up from under the bonnet with jets taped to the wipers. I can pump it and water gets on the windscreen, so that's a pass. I take it all off again when I get back home.:smile:

Congrats on owning a really rare and desireable Beetle. :beer:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
RoRoVw
13 years ago
Sounds good. Any photos?
My 1960 right hand drive standard has had washers fitted as a later accessory. The pump plunger has been fitted below the dashboard to the right of the steering wheel and has a black plastic knob to match the others. It only ever gets used once a year for the MoT! (The washers that is - not the car).
six-o-one
13 years ago
I guessing that's Paul who bought the '57 from me?
I've never had a problem getting an MOT on any of my vintage VWs without windscreen washers,
Just find an MOT station used to inspecting classic cars.

Malc
pmono
  • pmono
  • Regular Topic Starter
13 years ago
thats me malc
I have the car running like a little sewing machine. Have got everything repaired /replaced and working etc( i love seeing those semaphores popping up ).
The body is still totally original carrying all its years of thumps and bumps(and will remain so). There is no longer a huge hole where the battery sits. I have a nice original correct spare motor which i have been rebuilding.

still looking for a 57/58 floorpan that i can get good original floorpans from. Also a rear bumper
I am hoping to get in for the mot in the next few days. I will also post pics for anyone that wants to look at it:roll:
paul
59 Ragtop
13 years ago

Be great to see some pics. Sounds good:smile:
Rich Oakley
13 years ago

thats me malc
I have the car running like a little sewing machine. Have got everything repaired /replaced and working etc( i love seeing those semaphores popping up ).
The body is still totally original carrying all its years of thumps and bumps(and will remain so). There is no longer a huge hole where the battery sits. I have a nice original correct spare motor which i have been rebuilding.

still looking for a 57/58 floorpan that i can get good original floorpans from. Also a rear bumper
I am hoping to get in for the mot in the next few days. I will also post pics for anyone that wants to look at it:roll:
paul

pmono wrote:

Welcome! And yes, pics please.

There are a few people who have used the new 'grey' floorpans from Karmann Konnection. They are very very nice copies of originals and you would only have to transfer over the rubber mat 'mushrooms'.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
pmono
  • pmono
  • Regular Topic Starter
13 years ago
pics as promised plus pic of a spare engine which i have been building.  beetle.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  beetle2.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  beetle3.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  beetle1.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  engine2.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.  engine.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
pmono
  • pmono
  • Regular Topic Starter
13 years ago
another pic
pmono
  • pmono
  • Regular Topic Starter
13 years ago
here it is  bug int.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
RoRoVw
13 years ago
Thanks for those photos. It will be good to see another big back window standard out and about. Will you be taking it to Stanford Hall for the Historic Beetle Display? My 1960 standard will be there so would be great to see them together.
six-o-one
13 years ago

Thanks for those photos. It will be good to see another big back window standard out and about. Will you be taking it to Stanford Hall for the Historic Beetle Display? My 1960 standard will be there so would be great to see them together.

RoRoVw wrote:

It would be great to see the two remaining (as far as I know) UK small window standards together.
That was always one of my goals when I owned the '58!

8)

69project
13 years ago
thats a very nice car
Car less.....
pmono
  • pmono
  • Regular Topic Starter
13 years ago
I would like to take it to standford hall so i will see how the mot goes as its booked in for friday. By the way does anyone know of anywhere that contains info on standard beetles
Rattletrap
13 years ago

I would like to take it to standford hall so i will see how the mot goes as its booked in for friday. By the way does anyone know of anywhere that contains info on standard beetles

pmono wrote:

You should try the search facility here as it is a subject much discussed on these forums in the past.
Members here 48RME (Nicolas) and Julian Robinson are avid Standard fans. I'm rather partial to them too.

Your car is fascinating.8)

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
48REME
13 years ago
Hi Paul,
I will probably have my 1959 Standard sunroof at Stanford Hall, weather permitting and I can try and help you with what little information there is about these rare cars, if you need to know about specific details and finishes.
pre67vw
13 years ago

By the way does anyone know of anywhere that contains info on standard beetles

pmono wrote:

The place I know of that seems to have the most info on Standards is inside Nicolas's head... :d (48REME)

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
pmono
  • pmono
  • Regular Topic Starter
13 years ago