Old Blue
13 years ago
Hi My bug is a 1968 1200 but I have the chance of a 1958 that needs fixing if I can get the money to buy it. It has the semis which I like. The man that has the car says they are legal to use and you do not have to fit modern winkers.
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
64rotbox
13 years ago
Are you asking us if he's right? If so, he is.
You can call me Al.
Mike Peckham
13 years ago
They're legal to use, but you have to bare in mind that no one ever sees them so you need to drive very defensively. I have semis and no winkers on my beetle and as a consequence very rarely make a right hand turn. :wink:

Mike
July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
Rattletrap
13 years ago

Hi My bug is a 1968 1200 but I have the chance of a 1958 that needs fixing if I can get the money to buy it. It has the semis which I like. The man that has the car says they are legal to use and you do not have to fit modern winkers.

Old Blue wrote:

Hi Old Blue and welcome to pre67vw.

Semaphores are legal if the car was made that way. The European Beetles were rather late in having them fitted as some examples as late as 1960 have them.

My daily drive is a '58 - Rattytrap, she has semaphores only, and I live in London too - imagine. But she's a right-hand-drive car so hand signals are the order of the day with some right-hand-turns.:mellow:

Semaphores to me are real vintage car stuff and I hate flashing indicators as they make a car 'modern'.:x

However, if your proposed buy is a left-hooker you'd be advised to fit motorcycle type flashers on the bumper brakets.:wink:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
Rattletrap
13 years ago

They're legal to use, but you have to bare in mind that no one ever sees them so you need to drive very defensively. I have semis and no winkers on my beetle and as a consequence very rarely make a right hand turn. :wink:

Mike

Mike Peckham wrote:

How can you drive around like that. You must live on an island or operate some-sort of 'circular' bus service.:?

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
GKL 7
13 years ago

Apologies for 64rotbox's luke warm response (you get used to it)

Rattletrap wrote:

Surely it's not your place to apologise on behalf of another forum member.

Otherwise what you said is right

Would have been better without going into the "look at the cars i own" speech all over again.
Mike Peckham
13 years ago

How can you drive around like that. You must live on an island or operate some-sort of 'circular' bus service.:?

Rattletrap wrote:

I simply think ahead and plan my route accordingly, the last thing I want is someone to drive into the back of my oval, so I avoid turning right off main roads. I tend to spend a lot of time looking in the rear view mirror, making sure that even if people haven't seen the semaphore they have at least noticed that I am slowing down.

Like you, I use a lot of hand signals too.:thumbup:

Mike
July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
54 Gertie
13 years ago
I think I'd always fit some discrete flashing indicators to any semaphore car, no matter how original/unchanged etc.

Really not worth it, as I can think of few things worse than standing next to your pride and joy in two pieces, being told 'Sorry, but you weren't indicating!'.

William
vintagevw
13 years ago
I'm driving about 18 years with semaphore Volkswagens trough Europe.
Just be carefull when you are driving and use all your mirrors and a third stoplight, that helps alot.  Afbeelding 1670.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Wat is het fijn om lesbisch te zijn!
Rich Oakley
13 years ago

I simply think ahead and plan my route accordingly, the last thing I want is someone to drive into the back of my oval, so I avoid turning right off main roads. I tend to spend a lot of time looking in the rear view mirror, making sure that even if people haven't seen the semaphore they have at least noticed that I am slowing down.

Like you, I use a lot of hand signals too.:thumbup:

Mike

Mike Peckham wrote:

Snap. Same here. Like Mike, I drive any semaphore car really carefully, especially if it's LHD and there are right turns involved. Planning your approach to a major right-turn junction requires some forethought.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Old Blue
13 years ago
Thanks for the comments shame about all the bickering,is this the way with all VW stock enthusiasts?

And rattletrap my dad remembers you at those VW shows in the 1970s and 80s. You loved all the of attention he says and liked to think your car was bigger than the show itself like you think it is on this site as it seems as its taken over.Dad says you were rude to talk to about rattletrap and it was going into the guinness record book, says he almost chocked on his tea when it came up on the BBC news programe.

Anyway rattletrap is not a good example of safe semaphores as you write, wasn't it flattened by a lorry that didn't see it.:d

You have taken over my post now. Ican't post on yours:x

1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Old Blue
13 years ago
Thank you for that advice:smile:

64rotbox
13 years ago

Thanks for the comments shame about all the bickering,is this the way with all VW stock enthusiasts?

Old Blue wrote:

Well, you don't tend to find many arguments going on amongst 95% of the people on here, put it that way...

BTW - Sorry OB, but I just thought a straightforward 'yes' was going to be sufficient. No offence taken, I hope (although 'someone' else took it for you anyway...) I'd personally stick some discreet flashers on it as well, though. Hardly anyone knows what trafficators are for, and that's even if they do see them. The same seems to go for hand signals, as I've found out recently while riding a '50s indicator-less motorcycle...
You can call me Al.
Rattletrap
13 years ago

The same seems to go for hand signals, as I've found out recently while riding a '50s indicator-less motorcycle...

64rotbox wrote:

Have to endorse this wholeheartedly. I cycle more miles a year than I drive, and have to say that putting your right arm well out even with a yellow glove on still does not convey the I'm turning right message to some idiot drivers.

Let us know if you get that '58.:beer:

heb623
13 years ago
My Heb has flashing semaphores but nobody 😳 looks at them!
After reading this all I decided to buy a gun!!:omg:
So watch out and be careful with comments about me, OK?:rofl:

:twisted: ET:p
I ’ll never regret the things I did wrong!
I only regret the good things I did for the wrong people!
Rattletrap
12 years ago

And rattletrap my dad remembers you at those VW shows in the 1970s and 80s.

Old Blue wrote:

Er, does he have a tin of custard at hand.:mellow:

gipf
  • gipf
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
I've been driving around in a 56 oval for a good 10 year's and have only semaphore's, and I've not had any real problem's but as it has already been said you must drive defensively and use your mirrors a lot more than usual.
Old Blue
12 years ago
Well were going after a really nice 56 oval bug thats from california US
On the up side is rust free with nice patina paint a bit sun scorched and the down side it is left hander no semis. dad says it looks the holes for them have been welded up. It has pod flasher indicators put on the front like seen on early buses

69project
12 years ago
but where is the 58,is it in essex????

:rofl:
Car less.....
GKL 7
12 years ago

It has pod flasher indicators put on the front like seen on early buses

Old Blue wrote:

Sounds like U.S Spec,if so will never of had semaphores fitted.