Mike Peckham
13 years ago
Following on from the discussion on John's split thread, I got to wondering how much mileage the typical old VW covers in a year these days.

My cars have limited mileage insurance policies, the oval, which is my favourite car to drive has a limit of 3000. In the last year I have taken it to as many shows with a vintage or stock theme as I could and used it regularly on dry days. I have also used it for work on a few occassions, a round trip of 52 miles.

It seems to benefit from being used, the engine and running gear all feel better after a long drive. I also find that the 6 volt electrics work extremely well and the battery remains fully charged provided I give it a good run once every couple of weeks.

My World champion beetle, gets far less use, mostly because I drive the Oval so much, it seems that a consequence of this was the need for it to have pretty major work carried out on it this year for its MOT, the brakes needed a major overhaul including new slave cylinders, shoes and a general freeing off. It needed a new clutch and engine oil seals. The garage who carried out the work and know the car well, insisted that this was because it does so few miles and that I should use it more.

Their case was perhaps bourne out by the fact that when the oval was MOT'd a couple of days later, it flew through its MOT, the garage actually complemented me on its excellant mechanical order. Including the balance and efficiency of the brakes!

My latest aquisition is a late model Cabrio, so the oval might do fewer miles this year if we get a reasonable summer!

So how much do you use your old VW and what is the right balance of use and storage to preserve it for the future?

Mike
July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
59 Ragtop
13 years ago

I always try to use my 59 as much as possible in the great weather we've been having. I try to give it a run whenever there isnt salt on the roads in winter, which isnt to often really:roll: Took it to work recently which was a 42 mile roundtrip which was great:smile:
harveypj
13 years ago
In the 3years I've been driving mine ........900, then 1300 and last year only 400 miles.
Last year was not a great year for me as my dad passed away (this day last year as it happens) and so did not really feel like doing much.
Car spends winter in hibernation. Between end of October and beginning of April.

Peter
Stock......the new custom
59 Ragtop
13 years ago

Puts things in to perspective really doesnt it. I lost my grandfather recently too...
Robb
13 years ago
did 300 miles in the Ragtop last year, and the 67 has done about 1500 miles on the back of trailers :lol:
harveypj
13 years ago

Puts things in to perspective really doesnt it. I lost my grandfather recently too...

59 Ragtop wrote:

Certainly does, he was only 62.
Stock......the new custom
54 Gertie
13 years ago
About 13000 miles. :smile:
William
Rich Oakley
13 years ago
Mike, you're so right regarding cars deteriorating due to lack of use. My '66 Fastback is great if it's used every week or so. It will start on the button and everything will work perfectly. If I leave it for months on end with no use (as I regularly do!), it is a pig to get started and it doesn't drive anywhere near as nicely. Ironic really as it is probably my most 'usable' classic. Since the last MoT, I have done 14 miles in it. The previous year, it did 642 miles, the year before 225 miles.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
WayneMcCarthy
13 years ago
This is One of The Reasons I Sold Some of My Cars Recently ........ Very Few Miles Between MOT's.
Only Done Less Than 1400 Miles Between All My Cars.
"Mr Stock"
Rattletrap
13 years ago
Well of those I use…

My 1972 1300 Beetle's MOT expires this June. She's just done about 350 miles since the last test.

My 1958 Beetle 'Rattytrap' has notched-up about the same since her test which expires later in the year.

I've cycled an awful lot more miles than the pair put together in that time. :mellow:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
aerosilver
13 years ago
I have just mot'd mine, 300 miles since the last one, even the mot tester told me to use it more!
Should rack up a few more miles this year with a trip to Osnabruck :beer: .
Russ.
Mike Peckham
13 years ago

About 13000 miles. :smile:

54 Gertie wrote:

Wow, that's impressive! Was that in your Oval or the '63?

It looks like our bugs are doing very few miles these days though, having started this thread last night I felt inspired to get the Marathon out of the garage this morning and took it to work, with the round trip to and from work and a day out on the district that added about 90 miles in one hit. I enjoyed it too, had a few interested comments about the car at work and felt good to be driving it around the Sussex lanes on such a nice day. It was purring like a kitten when I tucked it back into the garage this evening.

The Marathon is being a wedding car at my neices wedding on Saturday so it's getting more use this week than it had practically all last year!

After the wedding on Saturday I shall be driving the Oval up to Stanford Hall, so that'll add another 300 or so miles and then of course Bad Camberg in June which is a big trip!

Am definitely going to try and use the beetles more this year. Weather permitting...

Mike

Ps: Peter, Very sorry to hear about your Dad, Hopefully this will be a better year for you.

July 1957 UK supplied RHD Oval. 1972 World Champion Beetle. 1978 UK supplied RHD 1303LS Cabriolet. 1973 UK supplied RHD 1303s.
54 Gertie
13 years ago

Wow, that's impressive! Was that in your Oval or the '63?

Mike Peckham wrote:

'63, it's my 'daily'. Oval belongs to my parents, although I seem to get the job fixing it.

Regularly takes me up and down the motorway, the little 1200 has more than enough power for me. After dealing with all the niggling (mainly electrical) gremlins when I first started to use it, it has turned out to be a nice reliable daily car. Not had a 'break down' for a good few thousand miles yet, bar running out of fuel which I am becoming quite good at.
William
59 Ragtop
13 years ago

Running out of fuel. Sure ive been there once:rofl:
Si Med
13 years ago
I thought i had done more actually but re-newed my mot 2 weeks ago and had covered 8k. In the oval, 30hp, 6v, semaphores- no problem :d
54 UK rhd
gipf
  • gipf
  • pre67vw Junkie
13 years ago
My oval stay in the garage from oct-march and then I do about 400-500 miles per year.:(
Last year I put it through a euro trip and it was the best it has ever driven, so this year i'm making an effort to use it a lot more. :smile:
six-o-one
13 years ago
Mine passed it's MOT on Wednesday having covered just 280KM since it's last test!
GKL 7
13 years ago
Congrats on the MOT Malc,we'll get to see your bargain Oval for the first time.
64rotbox
12 years ago
When it gets an MOT, I'll report back. 2014, probably...
You can call me Al.
beefykeefy
12 years ago

My 67 had done 600 miles between March 10 and March 11 MOT's. Have racked up quite a few more since March though, due to nice weather.

Agree that it does run damn good if used more often.