ryanknash
12 years ago
So this may be a stupid question, I've tried searching and see nothing telling me about this. Is there a way to tell from your vin number what your original paint color is? I have also heard of people getting their vw's birth certificate, but I can't seem to figure out how!?!? Any help would be appreciated. I bought a 1965 Beetle about 3 months ago in decent shape with a solid running engine, mostly rubber rot and some body work needed. The biggest problem with it is it was a "cal look" and of course I want original, of course!!! I just can't find where to get the info! I'd love to figure out my history but need to be pointed in the right direction.
It's got Metalic Fleck Purple paint on it now which was put on horribly since there are huge chunks coming off it in different places! Maybe no primer?
OK, if it helps which I assume it would, my vin is 115288665 and engine is 9098338.
Thanks for any help everyone!

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
lifeintheslowlane
12 years ago
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=95862 

https://automuseum.volkswagen.de/ 

If you think you might have an original engine, include the engine number in your request and they will confirm if your engine number matches the one they have on file.

Your certificate should arrive in about 3-4 weeks.
John.
pre67vw
12 years ago
Yep, birth certificate is the best way - but you could also look for the original paint in some of the hard to reach places, areas like behind the dashboard, insides of doors, peel back a bit of interior trim along the B post - all could reveal the original colour, especially if the paint job wasn't one of the most thorough...
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
ryanknash
12 years ago
I was just thinking about it and was gonna say it's got some red but nut everywhere and an off white in a lot of places. As I thought about it I was gonna say the thing I think is craziest is they seem to have spray painted the headliner black when it was white. What I'm thinking most now is I bet under that headliner is totally original! Thanks so much for the info for the birth certificate! I couldn't seem to find THE place for it so that is awesome. Pretty sure original engine but the 64,000 miles I'm pretty sure is no way true! Love this site already. Thanks again!