pre67vw
  • pre67vw
  • Administration Topic Starter
12 years ago
On my carb, it's leaking petrol from the lower shaft. I've seen brass replacements on eBay, my questions are:

1) is it one size fits all, or do I have to get the one that fits my carb?
2) how easy are they to replace?

Thanks! :thumbup:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rich Oakley
12 years ago
What carb is it Rob?
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
12 years ago
It's a solex 30 pict 1  UploadedFile1.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Rich Oakley
12 years ago
I have a feeling the 30 PICT-1s were only used on the earliest 1300 and 1500 engines for two years (66/67). They do not have any bushes so if yours is leaking, you will either have to get a machine shop to ream the body to enable the fitting of bushes (ideally with a new throttle shaft too) or buy one that's already been done.

If you go for the second option, I've got one that's just been done by Rich Carey in the US. I bought it for my '66 but managed to salvage the original.

47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
lifeintheslowlane
12 years ago

If you go for the second option, I've got one that's just been done by Rich Carey in the US. I bought it for my '66 but managed to salvage the original.

Rich Oakley wrote:

Is Rich Carey back in the scene Rich?...he was missing for quite some time. I used to carry an ad for his services on my website.

John.
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
12 years ago

I have a feeling the 30 PICT-1s were only used on the earliest 1300 and 1500 engines for two years (66/67). They do not have any bushes so if yours is leaking, you will either have to get a machine shop to ream the body to enable the fitting of bushes (ideally with a new throttle shaft too) or buy one that's already been done.

Rich Oakley wrote:

Typical...

Rich Oakley wrote:

Sounds expensive... is there a third option?

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Robb
12 years ago
i had a few carbs from Richard Carey, and i couldnt get any of them to work.

best off just trying to find another second hand carb Rob, as your selling it, its not too critical.:thumbup:
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
12 years ago

as your selling it, its not too critical.:thumbup:

Robb wrote:

Well that all depends on who's buying it... :wink:
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Kev
  • Kev
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
How bad is it Rob, does it leak when you are activating the throttle with the engine not running ? I think you can notice petrol seeping from the spindle on most old carbs like that, but when the engine is running it will be drawing the fuel into the engine, in which case I would say its nothing to worry about, unless it leaks so bad its running lean

pre67vw
  • pre67vw
12 years ago

How bad is it Rob, does it leak when you are activating the throttle with the engine not running ? I think you can notice petrol seeping from the spindle on most old carbs like that, but when the engine is running it will be drawing the fuel into the engine, in which case I would say its nothing to worry about, unless it leaks so bad its running lean

nev wrote:

I'll have to have a check, I poored fuel into the top to get it started when I swapped the carb over and noticed it then - I don't know how bad it is in normal operation.
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW