Sinclair
12 years ago
What's the difference between a split and oval door, is it just the quaterlight mounts?
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
52deluxebug
12 years ago
Hey,

No, its more than just the 1/4 light bit

For a start there are early and late Oval doors and there are differences between them too.

One of the things I can think of is the way the felt channel fits on a Split door - on the oval, you have the standard felt channel that is held in place with 'u' clips. On the split door, the felt is like part of the metal frame work and is fixed differently into the door.

Visibly I can't think of anything major from the outside that would be different from an early Oval door.
Is frequently found with a glass of wine in one hand and a vintage vw part in the other
pre67vw
12 years ago
isn't the window winder in a different position as well?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
52deluxebug
12 years ago

isn't the window winder in a different position as well?

pre67vw wrote:

probably it is, but I'm not 100% sure ???
Is frequently found with a glass of wine in one hand and a vintage vw part in the other
Kev
  • Kev
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
The window winder is about a half inch higher on the zwitter cabrio door fitted to my split cabrio compared to the correct split door on the passenger side.

The split cabrio uses the same window winder machanism as the split saloon, I can only assume the zwitter / oval cabrio uses the same winder mechanism as a saloon ?

If you were making door panels from scratch and both were the same, the difference in winder position wouldn't be noticable.

Hope that helps
Kev