ascort
  • ascort
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
12 years ago
The coachbuilt Ascort TSV 1300 used a Okrasa TSV 1300 modification to a 36hp engine. The designer and builder of the car was Mirek Craney, who also sold Okrasa kits in Australia in the late 1950s and 1960s.

My car was one of the first built and originally had a typical 36hp engine Number that dates the engine to 1958.

At least one of the other Ascorts, which were built in 1959 had a very different engine number. The car that went to New Zealand had a number ACA0914. There is also an Oval in the Sydney area which has been used for Vintage Speed events which has an Okrasa with an AC prefix engine number that came from an Ascort. (I am trying to get the full number to see if it is the same engine).

Can anybody shed any light on the "ACA" engine numbers as I have not seen any reference to this in any of my VW reference material?

Mark - Owner of 2 under restoration Australian coachbuilt Ascorts.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
ascort
  • ascort
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
12 years ago

At least one of the other Ascorts, which were built in 1959 had a very different engine number. The car that went to New Zealand had a number ACA0914. There is also an Oval in the Sydney area which has been used for Vintage Speed events which has an Okrasa with an AC prefix engine number that came from an Ascort. (I am trying to get the full number to see if it is the same engine).

Can anybody shed any light on the "ACA" engine numbers as I have not seen any reference to this in any of my VW reference material?

ascort wrote:

I have been doing more hunting around and it seems that the Okrasa engines fitted to the production run of Ascorts may have all had ACA engine numbers (I think that my car was sort of a pre-production prototype and had a normal type 1 engine number.)

There seems to be numbers such as ACA 0914 and numbers such as ACA 036 (The sequencing of the engine numbers does not seem to match the sequence of the body numbers.)
:?
I am thinking that the car builder must have been re-numbering the engines. If that is the case then what do the engine numbers stand for? The only thing that I can come up with is "Ascort Corporation (A/asia) Pty Ltd".

It is strange that the engine number would be tied to "Ascort Corporation" though, as this was the part of the business doing the fibreglass and coachwork. An associated company called "Hermex" was the importer of the Okrasa kits and bits.

In the unlikely event that someone has a 36hp engine with an ACA prefix number, it may just be an Okrasa TSV 1300 from an Ascort.
:thumbup:

UserPostedImage
Unrestored Ascort with Okrasa with ACA prefix engine number :thumbup:
Mark - Owner of 2 under restoration Australian coachbuilt Ascorts.