Volkswagen1
12 years ago
Hi. Although I have followed the pre 67 site for a while now, I have only just joined as a member. I own a 55 oval GGS920 which my wife and I have owned for almost 20 years. It still has a dealer sticker on the dashboard for Ocean Garage, Dickson Road, Blackpool. Does anybody have any info on the car or on this garage? I would love to find any old pictures people may have. There is an old thread which shows a picture of the car at a show in the 80s so I would love to hear from the old owner. Thanks for your help :thumbup:
Jody G.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
12 years ago
Welcome to the site :d . I hope some one can help you on here. Do you have any photos of the car as it is now that you can post up? Once again welcome.

Andy W
Rich Oakley
12 years ago
As far as my records show, that garage was not a VW dealership. The only early VW dealer in Blackpool was Harrowside Motors from about 1955 until 1966. Also, your car was registered new in Perth, Scotland in late 1955 so your car was almost certainly sold by a garage called Strathmore Motors in Perth.

Do you have a pic of the dash sticker you can post on here? I would love to see it.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Volkswagen1
12 years ago
Thanks for the swift replies. The sticker shows the garage were agents for Armstrong Siddeley and a host of other long since departed British manufacturers. I will post a picture of the sticker and the car in the near future. I have the DVLA history for the car which confirms the Scottish links, as does the reg Mark of GGS. It's ultra maroon in colour and totally stock but with new bits and pieces added over the years due to wear and tear.
Jody G.
six-o-one
12 years ago
Hi, welcome to pre67vw. I'm just down the road from you in wolverton but soon to be moving to brackley and I have a 55 oval too, but from Sweden. :d .

Malc
rudolf hucker
12 years ago
I remember this car and have some pics from early meets at Stanford Hall. I will post them if I can find them.

Rudy
Volkswagen1
12 years ago

As far as my records show, that garage was not a VW dealership. The only early VW dealer in Blackpool was Harrowside Motors from about 1955 until 1966. Also, your car was registered new in Perth, Scotland in late 1955 so your car was almost certainly sold by a garage called Strathmore Motors in Perth.

Do you have a pic of the dash sticker you can post on here? I would love to see it.

Rich Oakley wrote:

Jody G.
Volkswagen1
12 years ago

Rich Oakley wrote:

Jody G.
Rattletrap
12 years ago
I owned it for a while, up to about 22 years ago. It had rust issues as I remember, but was wonderfully smooth to drive.:smile:

Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
Volkswagen1
12 years ago
The car still drives lovely! There are no rust issues any more, we have had a lot of work done over the years to keep him in good order. There were some running issues for a while but they were finally sorted by a great bloke named Larry who has a workshop near Baldock. I am trying to post some photos of the car but don't seem able to attach them. I'll keep trying for anyone who's interested.:smile:
Jody G.
Rattletrap
12 years ago

The car still drives lovely! There are no rust issues any more, we have had a lot of work done over the years to keep him in good order. There were some running issues for a while but they were finally sorted by a great bloke named Larry who has a workshop near Baldock. I am trying to post some photos of the car but don't seem able to attach them. I'll keep trying for anyone who's interested.:smile:

Volkswagen1 wrote:

I've had a few ovals, and GGS 920 was certainly one of the best to drive. A very useable car even in today's traffic.:beer:
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
Rich Oakley
12 years ago
UserPostedImage
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
64rotbox
12 years ago
Ha! That's from the article about Alan Perkins' 55 BXP, which I was on about a couple of years ago.
You can call me Al.
Volkswagen1
12 years ago
Thanks for the magazine clipping Rich. The car looks pretty much the same and the only noticeable difference is that we no longer have the towel rail bumpers fitted as they rusted many years ago. They're just standard blades now. Still can't post any pictures. It says that they are too large to attach but I'm not sure how to rectify (you can probably tell I'm not too good with technology) does anyone have any suggestions?:?

Jody.
Jody G.
pre67vw
12 years ago

Still can't post any pictures. It says that they are too large to attach but I'm not sure how to rectify (you can probably tell I'm not too good with technology) does anyone have any suggestions?:?

Jody.

Volkswagen1 wrote:

How to attach photos 
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
rudolf hucker
12 years ago
If it works....here is a phot from VW Action of GGS 920
Old Blue
12 years ago

If it works....here is a phot from VW Action of GGS 920

rudolf hucker wrote:

You're as good at attaching photos as I am.:d
1956 VW Beetle, 1962 Morris Minor, 1968 VW Beetle (Old Blue), 1972 Morris Mini, 2005 MGTF

Blue, blue, Electric Blue, that's the colour of Old Blue!