vintagebug
2012-02-20T16:45:44Z

Does anyone know what make and shape of wing/ door mirror is the correct one for early Ovals (ie '53)? There are several out there & I'd like to know which is the correct or "approved" one.
Hagus? Frese? Round? Pear? etc.

Any ideas?



Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
Sponsor


(Register and log-in to hide thread adverts)
nicolass
2012-02-20T17:30:03Z
Hi before 1956 there was no door pin mirror on ovals standard from the factory.
When you buy a early beetle you could order a doorpin mirror the dealer mount it for you on your car
Early beetles with clamp mirrors on the door was a aftermarket product from Hella,Bosch etc etc
Cheers Nicolass
nicolass attached the following image(s):
vintagebug
2012-02-20T22:45:56Z

Thanks for the info Nicolass. In the photo the mirror clamp looks like it is held on by 2 screws- do you have to drill 2 holes in the door? (I wouldn't want to do that). Or do the screws not go into the door, are they short so that they just exert some pressure to keep the clamp tight?

Were the door pin mirrors from the dealer round?

Cheers,
Dave
Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
Piet
2012-02-21T11:21:22Z
vintagebug wrote:

Were the door pin mirrors from the dealer round?



As far as I know yes!

You can put anything you like on your car Dave, because they were all aftermarket as far as I know. The round types win over the pear shaped for old looks IMO.
There are clamp-on types around for Cabrios.
Proost! Peter.
1954 Oval L275 (in progressive refinement)
vintagebug
2012-02-21T12:14:29Z

Thanks Peter!I'm sure I read somewhere that the round mirrors are the correct ones for early Ovals, but I don't know where the guy got his info from.

Dave
Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
Piet
2012-02-25T13:18:22Z
Dave, I just read in my Bentley manual outside rear view mirrors were provided from chassisnumber 1 329 017 for the inland market. It was a pear shaped one starting at a horizontal base.
Convertibles had a different one: SP 97; sedans: SP 96.
Left hand drive cars for export are not provided with a mirror as standard eqpmt but hinge pins for mirror attmt were already installed.
Right hand drive cars did not come with this mirror hinge pin.
Proost! Peter.
1954 Oval L275 (in progressive refinement)
heb623
2012-02-25T14:31:13Z
Piet, for an answer of Lord Mitchell you'll have to wait!
He went to his holiday cottage for the weekend!:rofl:

:twisted: ET

I also have news for him, but I have to wait too!:wink:
I ’ll never regret the things I did wrong!
I only regret the good things I did for the wrong people!
GKL 7
2012-02-25T16:07:50Z
heb623 wrote:


He went to his holiday cottage for the weekend!:rofl:





I bet it doesn't have a Japanese garden.
heb623
2012-02-25T16:09:57Z
OK George, here we go again!:rofl:

:twisted: ET
I ’ll never regret the things I did wrong!
I only regret the good things I did for the wrong people!
nicolass
2012-02-25T17:20:23Z
Dave here are some pictures from the door clamp.
You see no drilling in the door the screws are only to clamp the mirror
Cheers Nicolass
heb623
2012-02-25T17:34:20Z
nicolass wrote:


You see no drilling in the door the screws are only to clamp the mirror
Cheers Nicolass




Nicol ass, I don't even see the drilled holes!!:oops: :rofl: :rofl:

:twisted: ET
I ’ll never regret the things I did wrong!
I only regret the good things I did for the wrong people!
vintagebug
2012-02-28T22:28:44Z
Piet wrote:

Dave, I just read in my Bentley manual outside rear view mirrors were provided from chassisnumber 1 329 017 for the inland market. It was a pear shaped one starting at a horizontal base.
Convertibles had a different one: SP 97; sedans: SP 96.
Left hand drive cars for export are not provided with a mirror as standard eqpmt but hinge pins for mirror attmt were already installed.
Right hand drive cars did not come with this mirror hinge pin.



Thanks for the info, Peter! I'll have a look through my Bentley manual and find it.

Cheers,
Dave

Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
vintagebug
2012-02-28T22:40:45Z
heb623 wrote:

Piet, for an answer of Lord Mitchell you'll have to wait!
He went to his holiday cottage for the weekend!:rofl:

:twisted: ET

I also have news for him, but I have to wait too!:wink:



Yes, you're correct ET. I went to my little holiday cottage in the Highlands for a few days, see pic below. I only go there a couple of times a year, just to check up on the staff, and to shoot a few peasants (sorry, I meant pheasants).
vintagebug attached the following image(s):

Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
vintagebug
2012-02-28T22:55:56Z
nicolass wrote:

Dave here are some pictures from the door clamp.
You see no drilling in the door the screws are only to clamp the mirror
Cheers Nicolass



Nicolass, I don't see any pictures either 😞

Dave

Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
Users browsing this topic