Murphy
11 years ago
Chris i maybe able to help with the part numbers as i have a part catalogue that i got with my 55 oval so ill have a look through it later

Sean
1955 LHD Oval / 1960 11 window microbus - they're both pretty low
Chris
  • Chris
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
11 years ago
Finally got round to uploading the pictures I took last Thursday at Hooky's shop. Not sure the pictures do justice to the quality of his work.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

:thumbup:
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day.
Chris
  • Chris
11 years ago
Another question for you all :oops:

On the external door handles I have got, both of them have different lengths of latch. This being the part that actually makes contact with the door latch inside the door. Can anyone explain why ? The one with the longer latch is the locking handle, the shorter one the non-locking. You will know what I mean when you see the picture below -

UserPostedImage
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day.
vintagebug
11 years ago
It's looking great, Chris. Some fantastic work going on there, bet you can't wait to jump in & drive it! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
Rich Oakley
11 years ago

Chris, the above are part numbers for generic pre-August '55 door handles. 205 is locking, 206 is non locking. The locking one should be on the passenger door of your car when it is restored.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Paulo Simões
11 years ago
Nice work Chris:thumbup:
good continuation:smile:

Greetings here from Portugal8)
Paulo Simões
Portugal
Lost64
11 years ago
Your car is looking great Chris, superb work by Steve Hook as ever. It's coming on a bit quicker than mine!!

I'm putting Klassic Fab heater channels into my '57 Oval, and so far the fit is spot on. All the bolt holes line up with the ones on the floorpan. The only slight issue we've had is that the carpet retaining strip goes a bit too far back, and fouls on the 'B' pillar.

See you soon,

Gavin.
JD
  • JD
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago
That´s some truly superb welding!
"John, you need to get a grip and STOP MOANING AT EVERYTHING. ThumbDown "
UserPostedImage
Chris
  • Chris
11 years ago

Chris, the above are part numbers for generic pre-August '55 door handles. 205 is locking, 206 is non locking. The locking one should be on the passenger door of your car when it is restored.

Rich Oakley wrote:

Cheers Rich, I knew I could depend on you :d Was a bit worried about the different size latchs on them, but your info has given me that confidence that they are the correct items.

Nice work Chris:thumbup:
good continuation:smile:

Greetings here from Portugal8)

Paulo Simões wrote:

Cheers Paulo, May have to re-do the floorpan looking at the quality of yours and the uality of the welding on the body 😞

Your car is looking great Chris, superb work by Steve Hook as ever. It's coming on a bit quicker than mine!!

I'm putting Klassic Fab heater channels into my '57 Oval, and so far the fit is spot on. All the bolt holes line up with the ones on the floorpan. The only slight issue we've had is that the carpet retaining strip goes a bit too far back, and fouls on the 'B' pillar.

See you soon,

Gavin.

Lost64 wrote:

Spoke to Steve on Thursday about the fit of the heater channels and he said they were a good fit and all the holes lined up perfectly. He never said anything about the retaining clips though and he's welded the 'B' pilar into place, so don't think he had any problems. He also said that the work should come along a bit quicker now as the show season has finished, this means he will be making less panels and doing more welding. Time to start saving :omg:
Sunroof53
11 years ago
Very impressive work .i noticed you are using the wolf crossmember but did Steve add the reinforcement or does the panel now come with it?

Mike .j
Chris
  • Chris
11 years ago

I noticed you are using the wolf crossmember but did Steve add the reinforcement or does the panel now come with it?

Mike .j

Sunroof53 wrote:

The reinforcement was added by Steve, the benefits of having someone do your car who knows what they are doing :d
GKL 7
11 years ago

I'll have to re-do the floorpan

Chris wrote:

Put that right for you.

It's not like i hadn't told you this 😛

Chris
  • Chris
11 years ago

It's not like i hadn't told you this 😛

GKL 7 wrote:

I wasn't listening as I thought you were moaning about my plan to cut the dash to fit the clock in again 😛

On a different note, I called today and spoke to Peggy, seems I got my dates wrong and I should have called yesterday :oops: Sorry. Hope you had a good day :thumbup:
GKL 7
11 years ago

I wasn't listening as I thought you were moaning about my plan to cut the dash to fit the clock in again 😛

Chris wrote:

Do you mean that 1967 Opel/BMW clock.

You really shouldn't be posting on here about building a modified car.

[-x
Kjell Roar
11 years ago

On my June 54 there is no threaded bolt sticking out, it has the captive nut welded behind the inner wing. I think it changed in August 55 but am not sure. But I thought I heared that the difference is also noticable in the wing itself because the stud has a different location.
Here is a fresh snap of mine:

Piet wrote:

My 4. august 55 /56 year model has a threaded bolt there. Probably easier & faster to assemble a new fender in production. The 56 got a "new" body that did the beetle faster to build (from 180 hours to 100 hours building time, I have heard).
August 55 T1- one of the first 56' (# 30).
Sunroof53
11 years ago
[quote=Chris]The reinforcement was added by Steve, the benefits of having someone do your car who knows what they are doing :d [/

There are somedays I wish I could drop the 53 off ,forget about it for a while and then pick it up a few months later.Just good that there are people like Steve that make panels for home builds.

Mike..
Chris
  • Chris
11 years ago
As I haven't posted for a while, I thought it was about time I updated this thread.

I called up at Steve's last week to get a progress report and get some more pictures. On first sight there didn't seem to be that much work done to it, but on closer examination I notced all the work that Steve had done around the rear cross member section and rear inner wings. And if you compare how it is now, to how it was in the last set of pictures, you will see that he's done his usual fantastic job of blending everything in, which makes it pretty bloody hard to see just how much work has actually been done.

The rear cross members are now done and the inside of the rear sills are also complete. Lots and lots of little panels were required to ensure the correct shape was obtained. After speaking to Steve, I could now appreciate just how much work he's put into getting everything just right. No 'that wil do' here I'm pleased to say :d

Most of the small fidgety work has now been completed, and with the exception of the front bulkhead, most of the remaining welding is big panels and fabrication, so should make progress pretty quickly.

Here are the latest set of pictures, and at the bottom is the customary questions that I came away from Steve's with :d

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Right then, questions :roll:

I need to know the length of the heater pipe the comes out of the rear crossmember and into the 'muffler box' which then goes into the heater channel. I need the full length including how much sticks out behind the cross member and into the engine bay.I believe that both sides are different lengths. I have one, but need to know which one it is. I also need to get theother one made, hence the reason for needing to know it's length.

My second question is regarding the main gearbox mount. Once the engine is fitted onto the gearbox, the rocker cover on the right hand side just catches the engine bay metal work, but only by a couple of mm. We were thinking whether the actual gearbox mount was too thick, and therefore pushing the gearbox too far backwards, which has resulted in the engine being too far backand therefore catching. Any thoughts ?

Not too sure whether it will be ready for H.O. though, as it looks like I may have to bite the bullet and get the floorpan re-done as the quality of the body work is so good it would be a pity to fit it to the existing 'pan 😞
Chris
  • Chris
11 years ago
Last week George and myself made the trip up to Burnley to see how Steve was progressing, and I'm pleased to say tht the shell is coming on nicely. The rear end is 95% complete with just a few little things to do such as the rubber retaining strip on the rear valance and the baffle pipes for the heater channels. So not much left to do in that area.

The next step is to get the front end done, which he should be starting very soon. So with a bit of luck the shell should be done sooner rather than later.

The quality of the work is, as you'd expect, of the highest standard. The pictures below show just how much effort has gone into getting everythng 'just right'. All the patches that can be seen blend in so well, and although there looks like a lot of welding, you'd be troubled to tell where they were just by running your hands over them.

There's only one problem with the quality of Steve's work, and that is that it is so good that I cannot really justify putting it onto the floorpan as stated in my last post. When I had the floorpan done by a good friend of mine, the intention was to just get the car running, so the overall condition was not too important. However, as the quality of the welding on the shell is that good, it would not do justice to the shell to put it on the 'pan the way it is. So it looks like I'm ging to have to do some uplanned work and get some new floorpan halves ordered from Gerson.

In the meantime, some pictures for you to look at -

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
ianmac
11 years ago
Superb work :thumbup:
N2C_coxiste
10 years ago
Very nice Job...

Can you tell us where you find metal sheet parts, please?
Thank you,
Greg.