pre67vw
  • pre67vw
  • Administration Topic Starter
11 years ago
I think this qualifies as vintage speed...?

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
lifeintheslowlane
11 years ago

I think this qualifies as vintage speed...?

pre67vw wrote:

That looks great fun. Strange thing about driving things like that...FAST. When you're young you have no fear...let 30 years go past and you're no longer competitive. Not just because of slowing reflexes but an inbuilt self-preservation instinct.
John.
pre67vw
  • pre67vw
  • Administration Topic Starter
11 years ago
I felt like that driving the cabrio to Lavenham :rofl: I remember driving my first beetle foot to the floor on the motorway, now it's scary at 55... although a lot of that is probably the crossplys.

Would be interesting to know if they have some special engine building techniques though, or if it's pretty standard hot VW.

UserPostedImage
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
lifeintheslowlane
11 years ago

Would be interesting to know if they have some special engine building techniques though, or if it's pretty standard hot VW.

UserPostedImage

pre67vw wrote:

Oh yes Formula V engine building is a separate art on its own.
John.
ascort
11 years ago
Bathurst is an awsome track and the section over the mountain is MUCH steeper and more scary than is obvious in the video.

Years ago I designed and built an open wheel special based around Honda Civic engine that I used to run in hillclimbs and motorkhanas. A year or so back I had a drive of a historic formula V (based on the 40hp engine) around our local racing circuit (Morgan Park). I was hopeless :d Talk about being out of touch, with the corner lines being all wrong, too slow (I know what Rob means about the self preservation thing)etc etc. It was fun though. :thumbup:

This is our local circuit.

Mark - Owner of 2 under restoration Australian coachbuilt Ascorts.
lifeintheslowlane
11 years ago
https://www.fvansw.asn.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Formula_Vee_Legends_John-Moxon.pdf 

I do happen to have met John on his last visit to the UK and we had an enjoyable meal at our local pub. John stumbled across my Judson website having owned and run one on a Beetle in the early '60s and was amazed to find we carried the same name.
John.