11 years ago
Hello

I was wondering how many RHD Zwitters are registered in the UK.:wink:
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Pricivius
11 years ago
No idea!

But... There's a register on the samba.com which you could trawl down and pick out all the UK zwitters. I can't remember whether it lists LHD/RHD though. It might not be very up to date...

I'm yet to meet another zwitter, LHD or RHD, but I know there are a few around. Several people have come up to me at Shows who are restoring RHD zwitters and want to check out what parts are on my LHD. This usually sparks a fun debate with the conclusion that no one knows for certain, but demonstrates there are some out there.

No doubt others can offer a more accurate answer!
Dawn
vintagebug
11 years ago
I'm aware of at least one RHD zwitter here in the UK, and it belongs to a contributor to this very forum (not me!).

I don't know of any others, but I'm sure they're out there.

Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
BEETLE MAN
11 years ago

I'm aware of at least one RHD zwitter here in the UK, and it belongs to a contributor to this very forum (not me!).

I don't know of any others, but I'm sure they're out there.

vintagebug wrote:

What colour is it?
vintagebug
11 years ago
Here you go:-

https://forums.pre67vw.com/yaf_postst18369_A-great-day.aspx 

Dave
Dave
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"
RoRoVw
11 years ago
You'll be pleased to hear that there are three zwitters registered to display in this year's Stanford Hall Historic Beetle Display and one of them is the right hand drive one mentioned above.

Cheers,
Rob.
Pricivius
11 years ago
Excellent - it'll be great to see some others.
Dawn
BEETLE MAN
11 years ago
I cannot wait for next weekend 😉
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
11 years ago
Snap :beer: Only bean trying to get there for the past 4 years.

Andy W
Rich Oakley
11 years ago
I know of 3 original RHD Zwitters in the UK.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
Rattletrap
11 years ago
Remember that Beetles were assembled in Ireland, and before Ovals were introduced, so there were a number of cars known today as 'Zwitters' assembled there and so RHD. Total production number I don't know, but I do know of one of these cars still here in the UK, and a very nice one too. The colour is a mid-blue.:beer:
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
Rattletrap
11 years ago
Unfortunately, you have to wary of buying a Zwitter, a car identical to the early Oval apart from the split rear window and also worth more. If I say that numbers of early Ovals have reduced a little and numbers of Zwitters have increased, I think you'll see what I mean. Unrestored Zwitters with the original headliner around the window are ones to go after. I know of at least one Zwitter here that was once an oval....[-x
Rattletrap – the Volkswagen Beetle that has covered an incredible mileage equivalent to over 35 times around the planet :omg:
Running nifty since 1950… the King of Volkswagens:beer: Why not make friends with this famous little VW – he's on facebook!
:d
http://forums.pre67vw.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16378 
BEETLE MAN
11 years ago

Unfortunately, you have to wary of buying a Zwitter, a car identical to the early Oval apart from the split rear window and also worth more. If I say that numbers of early Ovals have reduced a little and numbers of Zwitters have increased, I think you'll see what I mean. Unrestored Zwitters with the original headliner around the window are ones to go after. I know of at least one Zwitter here that was once an oval....[-x

Rattletrap wrote:

Right that is criminal that someone would butcher an oval to make a Zwitter 😞 Would be interested to know which one has been worked on to make a zwitter.
Pricivius
10 years ago
As far as I know, my zwitter is the genuine article... but then I guess every owner is likely to make that claim!

It's a tricky issue, that's for sure.
Dawn
stevo
10 years ago
Being matching numbers and having the correct vw paperwork I'd like someone to disprove mine!!
Steve.
1953 rhd zwitter.
BEETLE MAN
10 years ago
Makes all the differance when you have the paper to prove 🙂
Pricivius
10 years ago
I guess it depends what you mean by paperwork... An original sales receipt? A certificate from VW?
Dawn
stevo
10 years ago
Well I have the vw dating certificate which confirms the engine and chassis to be correct to the car.
I know these aren't everything but engine,gearbox,body,chassis and ancillary parts are dated to feb 1953.
Where the car came from I think it would have been difficult to 'make' the car look older!

Steve.
1953 rhd zwitter.
Pricivius
10 years ago
I have a couple of VW certificates confirming the numbers etc..., but then if I was trying to pass my zwitter off as genuine, I don't think they would be too tricky to fake. I'm just playing devil's advocate and looking at it as if I was a buyer trying to avoid being ripped off. Looking back, I was very trusting when I bought my zwitter and relied on him being a well-known car...
Dawn
65deluxe
10 years ago
I picked up my Zwitter a while ago and its in need of full restoration .
Although the car was known from the early 70's and had the original headlining ( painted in emulsion ) I was still glad to get the horrible orange paint off and find the original metal untouched underneath .

Mine is LHD by the way .
Please check out 65 deluxe on Facebook to see all my work in one place