DEdzyyy
10 years ago
Hi
Having difficulties. AGAIN.

Got fed up with how much 30hp parts are costing me, so went out an bought a 1300 from a '65 as a more reliable and cost effective option for the '58.

Now, trying to mate the engine with the gearbox, things are a bit tight and I can't quite work out why the engine does not wanna play ball.

I'm wondering if I need a new clutch assy?

They certainly look different, but from what I've been told, they should fit...

Here's the 30hp:

UserPostedImage 

Here's the 1300:

UserPostedImage 

Here's the gearbox:

UserPostedImage 

Do I need an altogether new clutch? Can I swap over the 30hp clutch?

Cheers!
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Rich Oakley
10 years ago
That won't fit.

Swap the clutch.

47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
DEdzyyy
10 years ago
Literally swap em over?
DEdzyyy
10 years ago
I dig your polo, btw!
Zubeir Moin
10 years ago
Since it is a 1300 engine, logically the flywheel should be 130 teeth, whereas the flywheel of your original engine has 109 teeth (picture says). If u want to put the 1300 in, you have to make clearance in the gearbox housing for the new flywheel. You have to scrap off 2 mm from the edge where the flywheel enters the gearbox housing. Pressure plate of the 1300 engine is with release plate, shouldn't be a problem. On top of all, you also have to change the bandage pinion (that comes with a 12 V starter) of your starter motor for 130 teeth flywheel.

Have learnt from real life experience!

Zubeir Moin
Convenor & President
Classic Volkswagen Club of Bangladesh
AW
  • AW
  • pre67vw Junkie
10 years ago
If you are going to run a 12 volt flywheel and starter in a 6 volt transaxle then you can get a special bush that will fit in the bell housing. Also soak the bush in oil for 24 hours before fitting.
looking at the box you have fitted it seems a later type as a 58 should have a split case transaxle and the fly wheel looks like a 12 volter. So as Rich says just swap the clutch over from the motor that came out of the car. and all should be well.

Andy W