richpeeler
19 years ago
How is the best way to replace the defroster hose on a 1960?
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
Larry
19 years ago
Are you referring to the "hoses" that run along the inside front panels where the fenders attach to the bug? In other words, the trunk? As far as I know there is only one way, the hard way.

First off, only replace them with brand new hoses. Don't even try to attempt replacing them with used hoses, that would be a royal pain. The hoses are mainly just twisted on the connector tubes. Also you will find metal bands that wrap around the hoses to help keep them in place. I have replaced them on two bugs and the only way that I know is to just become a one armed bandit. There is just not enough room to use two hands down there. Just feel your way as you go. IF you use patience you should be fine.

Hope this helped,
Larry 🙂
In Kentucky
Enjoy life to the fullest - in a VINTAGE VW
richpeeler
19 years ago
I found that some previous owner had plugged off the defroster outlet on the heater channel. Is this normal for people to do? To remove the plug it looks like you have to cut the post and weld a patch. Is this right?
pre67vw
19 years ago
You might be able to get to it by cutting an access hole in the front inner wing, that way its not going to mess up your pillar.

How do you know there's a plug in it?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
richpeeler
19 years ago
I can see it down there with a flash light
pre67vw
19 years ago
I'd go in through the front inner fender then, take the fender off, cut an access flap, get the plug out, put the new hose on, close the flap and weld it back up. Kind of like keyhole surgery :lol:

Whats the plug look like? a patch welded over or something pushed in there?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
pre67vw
19 years ago
Just an idea not knowing what the plug is like :idea:

If its something pushed in there, you might be able to get a piece of rod and weld a screw on the end. Then try and push the rod down and screw it into the plug?

Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Larry
19 years ago
Paul,

I thought that would be the area that you were referring to. That is a great idea that Rob just stated. I am only guessing here but apparently someone just "stuffed" something into the hole. Can you see or feel with your fingers what type of material is in there? Another question that would be on my mind is WHY did they do that? I would inspect the heater channels, from rear to front, before I proceeded any further. Why did they cap that hole!

Larry
Enjoy life to the fullest - in a VINTAGE VW
richpeeler
19 years ago
thanks for the replys. I'll have to cut a hole and weld it back.