Wagenfolks
10 years ago
Hi,

I have this strange trip speedo. Came out of a 67 bug. There are no signs of original vw numbers or what so ever. Only an faded stamp like a datestamp. The layout is a bit like the 67 bug but with Ghia turnsignal indicator... very strange.

After some searching I came across a picture in Auto Motor & Sport 9/67 wich shows this speedo. It's in an article featuring Oettinger engine upgrades. I can't find any furhter info on this speedo. Did VDO make these for Oettinger or is it from another car? Any leads?

Speedo:

UserPostedImage 
UserPostedImage 

Auto Motor & Sport 9/67 Article:

UserPostedImage 
UserPostedImage 
UserPostedImage 

Thanks
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
zelensis61
10 years ago
Super rare MACHI 1 speedo with daytripper.... I have one without daytrip. Nice find. The market for Mach 1 owners is limited.. I know 2 original cars and one replica in Belgium. That 's it. And they have them all to my info.

Cheers. Peter
ZELENSIS, coachbuilt body from the 50's on a vw platform made in Belgium. Peter the heb detective
Wagenfolks
10 years ago
Hi Peter,

Do you have some pictures of yours? Any vw stamps or numbers on it?
I thought the Mach1 had alot of Oettinger parts?

Michel
zelensis61
10 years ago
Hi Michael.
Mine is a normal beelte speedo but with 160 km limit. No marks on it as it got a respray and the bodycover was replaced due to rust on the back. Mine came out of an APAL Coupe.
This is what a real MACH 1 owner answered me:

Hi Peter,
That's great.
The speedometer in the Mach1 prototypes you can see in period D'Ieteren press pictures is different than mine.
Mine is pretty close to the one shown on pre67vw forum but still different. In my opinion, these kind of speedometer was available in special order for special cars... Mine has a lot of writings on it. If I remember well, you had also this kind of speedometer in Apal coupé...

Greetings.
ZELENSIS, coachbuilt body from the 50's on a vw platform made in Belgium. Peter the heb detective