Trigger
7 years ago
Hi, did all 67 1500 uk cars come with disc brakes on the front as standard or did some have drums, the reason for asking is I have been looking at photos of a car and the oners has been very helpful the the answers to many of my questions, but one thing that baffles me is that it has drums all around. Here is some of the details I have. Deck lid badged VW 1500 not Volkswagen , it has the earlier 66type. White knobed window winder handles and dash knobs, recessed chrome door pulls. Engine number on the car says H 0669485 but on the V5 says 0546174 the owner might have missed out the H when the read it out to me over the phone, chassis number 117390053 . Also has the 4 lug bolt wheels. Any thoughts or help would be much appreciated as I don't want to buy something that is not correct. I know something's are replaced and are mismatched which I don't mind and expect on a car of this age, everything seems to point to it being a true 1500 67 except the front brakes. Think they had drums all round and upright headlight on US cars forgot to mention the one I am looking at has the sloping headlights. Thanks Paul.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
1974dudley
7 years ago
A 1967 1500 BEETLE HAD 4 LUG FRONT AND REAR AND FRONT DISC BRAKES. A 1967 1300 HAD WIDE 5 BALL JOINT FRONT AXLE WITH DRUMS ALLROUND. IT IS POSSIBLE TO USE FOUR LUG DRUMS ON THE DRUM CARS SO THAT COULD BE A POSSIBLITY. IT IS ALSO POSSIBLE TO CHANGE DISCS TO DRUMS ON THE FOUR STUD CARS ASWELL. THE ONLY THING THAT IS ODD IS THAT THE SWITCHES ARE WHITE AND NOT BLACK BUT BOTH THESE THINGS COULD BE DUE TO A RESTORATION TO MAKE THE CAR DRIVEABLE OR PERSONAL PREFERENCE OR EVEN THE FACT THAT THE PERSON DIDNT HAVE ACCESS TO THE CORRECT ONE YEAR ONLY PARTS. THE ENGINE IS OFTEN SWAPPED OUT IN CARS THIS AGE AS IT IS WAS OFTEN CHEAPER AND MORE CONVINIENT TO SOURCE A USED RUNNING UNIT THAN TO GET INVOLVED IN A LARGE ENGINE REPAIR.