taffybwell
18 years ago
Hi, I have a 1972 Beetle, and have a problem with the accelerator/clutch/brake assembly (possibly!!) 😞 Here goes, when you depress the clutch, the accelerator pedal moves with it, when you release the clutch pedal, the accelerator pedal is released also. Basically, when I'm driving and slow down (so, change down gear) I release the clutch and the engine dies, you have to rev it slightly to keep the engine running, this can cause serious problems as you can't operate the brake and accelerator at the same time!!!!!! :shock:

The accelerator moves freely when I depress it, but if the clutch is depressed, the accelerator is stiff and sticks in the depressed position.

Has anyone got any ideas of what might be causing this, or how to cure the problem? :roll:

I hope this is clear, it's difficult to put into words exactly what is happening, but it's a pain in the backside, as I'm not happy driving it with my little girls safety in question. :cry:

Any help would be very gratefully appreciated.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
zelensis61
18 years ago
Hi,
I have not a direct solution but it could be that your acc. cable went under the clutch cable above the gearbox.
This could be done while a new acc cable was put in the car sometimes?

This cause your acc. work fine until you step on the clutch. by this your acc cable wil be on a higer tense thus give your engine more gas...

check also the bolts that hold the complete pedal unit.
if that not helped..... undo the complet pedal unit, check bothe cables and refit them if they are ok, if not, buy new ones.
be sure to place them in the wright place. before driving, check everything ....
Greetz, Peter
ZELENSIS, coachbuilt body from the 50's on a vw platform made in Belgium. Peter the heb detective
taffybwell
18 years ago
Thanks very much for your reply. I've removed the whole assembly, and it turns out that it can't have been put back correctly after new cables were fitted.

After alot of jiggling and persuasion, it's all gone back lovely, and working perfectly.

Thanks very much for your help, it's much appreciated.

Regards,

Cathryn. 😃
zelensis61
18 years ago
Catherine, no problem.
A bit to late but here is a good tip to put the whole assembley back:
you put a rubberband around the hook that hold the clutch cable in place.

After a few years it will "die" and drop into the tunnel.
It sure does not have an impact on the working of the assembley.

Greetz

ZELENSIS, coachbuilt body from the 50's on a vw platform made in Belgium. Peter the heb detective