48REME
  • 48REME
  • pre67vw Junkie Topic Starter
18 years ago
I have just bought myself a 1960 standard from Germany.
Being a late September 1960 car, it has that one year only feature of having the peanut indicators on the front wings but still the oval lights at the back.
However, the rear lights have been changed to 61-onwards lights and I want to put the oval ones back on.
In order for them to do the three things they're supposed to do (be on at night, become brighter when you press the brakes and also flash when signalling), I need to reinstall the proper turn signal relay specific for these functions, because the turn signal relay relating to later lights won't do ( so I've been told...Can anyone confirm this?)
As I was looking for the one-year only turn signal relay (which incidentally ran for 4 years in the US), I found one with the part number:
111 953 318B
Is this the one I would need to make the oval lights work, or does anyone know the part number of the one I want? Does anyone have such a turn signal relay they'd want to sell?
Any help is appreciated...!
Kind regards,
Nicolas.
Sponsor
Log-in to remove these ads
six-o-one
18 years ago
I reckon it would probably be the same set-up as US spec ovals with the bullet indicators at the front and small oval shape lights at the back.

A friend of mine has a US spec '57 with this set up, I'll email him and find out more.

You should have better luck posting on the Ovals section on The Samba.

six-o-one 😃
pre67vw
18 years ago
Hey Nicolas, I was worried that selling the '48 meant you'd lost interest.

Lets see a photo of the '60 😎
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
48REME
  • 48REME
18 years ago
Hi Rob,
How are you?
I wasn't going to leave VWs altogether and I had to keep something old and standard too!
I only have pics of the car as they were sent to me before I bought it. I'll come to Slough swapmeet with it so if you're there too, I guess we'll meet.
Kind regards,
Nicolas.  3364.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
48REME
  • 48REME
18 years ago
Another photo from the front...
I hate those rear lights on that car...So wrong!  3365.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
48REME
  • 48REME
18 years ago
And the dashboard, with familiar black 3-spoke steering wheel...  3366.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
pre67vw
18 years ago
Hi Nicolas,

Yes that car is you all over... Very cool. 😎

I'm hoping to go to slough, I'll look out for you and the car there!!

I don't really understand why a later 6v flasher unit wont work - did anyone give you a reason?
Rob Amos
Happiness is a stock VW
Slow 1200
18 years ago
I thought the difference was in the switch not in the relay?
six-o-one
18 years ago
Andy Sparks, who has just joined this forum, has the same on his '61.
he should be able to help...

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Any ideas Andy?

😃
48REME
  • 48REME
18 years ago
Yes, Andy's car appears to be exactly like mine should be.
They changed the taillight configuration in May 61, so his car must be from anytime before that.
I'd love to hear it all from Andy!
Kind regards,
Nicolas.
Andy Sparks
18 years ago
Blimey your car is lovely, Have been chatting on e mail, i think i know what is going on. Standards are a rule to themselves though, as discussed your car has a 1959 - 60 indicator switch. Chrome bar type.

I will be at Slough, now i know some 1960 buffing can be done you won't keep me away, my favorite subject. So can chat there as well.

I'll bring my parts books as well, we can have a nose in them.

Malc you have a 1960 as well don't you? do you still need part numbers for wiring loom?
You can never have too many accessories on your car. 🙂
six-o-one
18 years ago

Malc you have a 1960 as well don't you? do you still need part numbers for wiring loom?

Would be good to find out if the 1960 loom differs from the 1958-59 loom which we can get.

We'll be at Slough too so will catch up with you there! 😃
Rich Oakley
18 years ago
Hi Nicolas,

Good to see you at Slough!

Your '61 model standard still has the pre-1960 steering column arrangement. The indicator switch that is required (which may still be fitted, but messed around with) is a 6-wire US style 1956-59 column switch. These are more akin to Split bus turn signal switches than pre-60 Beetle switches.

Best thing to do is check to see if yours has 6 wires coming out of the back of it. If it has- hooray!! You have the correct part. If not, I can probably get you one.

Wiring is as per the 1961-only Deluxe wiring diagram.

All the best,
Rich.
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.
48REME
  • 48REME
18 years ago
Richard,
It was very nice to meet you at Slough.
I didn't see Andy or Malc although I did have a good look at Andy's red 61 gem. Lovely car!
I will have a look at the number of wires coming out of tyhe switch.
Car's gone for a bit of welding today...
Regards,
Nicolas.
Andy Sparks
18 years ago
Mate i did call you, went through to voice mail.

Oh well never mind.
You can never have too many accessories on your car. 🙂
Rich Oakley
18 years ago
Nicolas.

I have a correct set of radio knobs for your car if you are interested....
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

They match the black standard dashboard knobs exactly.

[email protected]
47 Beetle, 56 UK Karmann Cabriolet, 56 UK Beetle, 57 UK Type 2, 59 UK Beetle, 66 UK Fastback.